Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Fleetline Deluxe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

More or less that is what you want. As far rearward as you can get on the driver. It's harder if you are running the stock clutch linkage, as you have to hit the space between steering and clutch.

There is a fairly late model gm log that works pretty good from what I have seen. It was Camaro I think??

2. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

I found a set of manifolds online supposed to be secifically designed for 49-54 chevy with v8. Williams manifolds with downpipes sold by Hillchevy.com. IMG_2240.JPG

Copper Top likes this.
  3. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

They're a little pricey, but if it works well, probably worth the money and saves time going through pick&pull.

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Those certainly exit far to the rear! I don't see why they would not clear your steering.

Never heard of them before... let us know how they work out if you go that way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Already ordered them so we'll see. I've never heard of them before either, or the site that sells them. I do like that they come with the down pipes.

Nostrebor and Copper Top like this.
  6. Almost look like exhaust manifolds from an early 80's car/truck.

7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

They look pretty similar to the 3rd gen Camaro log from the driver's side, but dump at an angle.

If you figure in the hardware, gaskets, downpipes, and new manifolds, they are really not that expensive.

Slow down likes this.
  8. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Question:

I'm installing a 350 crate and keeping the original radiator, re-cored. The radiator guy called and pointed out that the connections on the radiator and the connections on the SBC are usually two different sizes. Anyone have experience with this? Can I get radiator hoses with different sizes on either end? I would like to keep the original radiator if possible but changing the hose connections along with re-coring it would make the cost astronomical to the point I might be better off with an aftermarket unit with original appearance. What do you guys think/know?

9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Mine had a SBC and original radiator in it when I bought it with those universal flexi type hoses in it. I don't care much for the look of those, but they work fine. This is at least proof of a solution existing.

I have not bought hoses yet for the rebuild, nut plan to do the old "bent tig wire and go to the Oreillys" trick and dig through their hoses looking for a section of hose that will work. I have never been disappointed yet... it just takes a bit of time and measuring.

10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

11. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Latest progress on the car, steering is sorted and in. Still need cleanup and some paint but otherwise seems to work pretty well. Next is removing the original transmount crossmember and bolting up the T5 crossmember from HRW, get ready to test fit the engine. Meanwhile, the 20 yr old is task with removing the interior and taking the floors down to metal. IMG_2251.JPG

12. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Who have you guys found as the best source for interior kits?

13. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RMONTY likes this.
  16. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Received the exhaust manifolds from Hillchevy... two right (passenger) side manifolds. Put one on with the downpipe, called them and they said a correct drivers side is now in the mail so we'll see. It's definitely up and out of the way of any brackets or engine mounts. IMG_2254.JPG

Nostrebor and Copper Top like this.
  17. junkman8888

junkman8888

Don't be too quick to repaint the car: Hot-rod shop I worked at for a while had a F-1 pickup come in for some rust repair but didn't want to repaint the truck, after all the rust areas were patched and primed it was driven to the paint store for some "patina matching" paint which ended up matching so well most people couldn't tell where the repairs were made. Best of luck with your project.

18. drew1987

drew1987

hey like those manifolds a lot! wish i knew about them 5 years ago when I did mine - the late 90's tahoe manifolds clear the steering well but stick WAY out off the block.

Pardon me if i missed it, but what steering gear is that? I was going to do an astro van gear, express van or 2 camaro (from manual steering model) pitman with a 1930 model A 1" ball this summer. Things got busy and I also "took in" another orphan classic. What did you use?

Everything looks great. Be sure to have someone record your first drive... didnt realize my wife recorded mine and it means the world to me to have it now

19. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Junkman, no plans to paint the car. It will get a new interior kit, door panels, seat covers, carpet, sound deadening etc, but I'm going to try to save the original headliner and visors. I will try to clean up the dash as best I can, but the chrome bezels and such are pretty corroded, not sure what to do there. I will also do my best with the wheel and tires, though I'm likely to go with Radial T/A's, period hotrod tire from high school you know. The stock wheels, I think, are too narrow to get any decent rubber under the car so will look for some old, original chevy steelies that will take the original moon hubcaps and beauty rings.

Drew, the steering is a power steering kit off Ebay from a seller called EZSteer. It was listed at $995 or best offer. I paid $850 plus shipping. It bolts to the original steering box mounting holes and includes a Saginaw power steering pump, bracket and Pitman arm. The original PA won't fit the spline shaft on the box. Went in easy and seem to fit well. Stock wheel and column all working together pretty well. I will definitely video all firsts, engine mounting, first engine start, first drive etc.

20. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

A bit more progress, trans cross member cut out and HRW T5 cross member bolted in. I'll R&R the rear end next, get rid of the torque tube, then should be ready to test fit engine and tranny, locate the front engine mounts. IMG_2260.JPG IMG_2261.JPG

21. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

More progress,

Torque tube removed
    Interior stripped, rear and middle floor sections sanded and painted.
    Stock rear leafs stripped cleaned and painted with new bushings
    S10 Blazer 4x4 rear axle, 3.73 posi w disks, stripped, cleaned painted with new perches for stock leafs. Installing today.

After the rear is in we'll finish removing the wiring and start installing the Walton Fabrication power brke/hydraulic clutch pedal assembly. After that we'll test fit the engine/trans and install the front motor mounts. Slow progress but moving along a little at a time. IMG_2304.JPG IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2308.JPG IMG_2307.JPG

drdave and Nostrebor like this.
  22. ...on your radiator connections, just cut a short piece of hose that goes onto the top radiator outlet (about 1 & 1/2 " long),...then slip the correct hose over that,...Or...you can bolt the 216 thermostat housing to your V8 and run the hose that fits,...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  23. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Well, the rear axle is installed with S10 Blazer 3.73 posi dik brakes, perch kit from Buffalo Enterprises (fantastic to work with) and original leaf springs. Want to give another negative review to Chevs of the 40's, bought their rear leaf bushing kit. Came with 5 out of 8 rubber shackle bushes correct size and three completely different bushing halves that had to be modified to make work. Then, two correct half inch bolts for the front leaf brackets, one half inch nut, one 7/16 nut and no washers. Saying again, will never order another part from them.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Well, the thread's been dead for a while now, but work has continued. So far we have:

-Rebuilt the stock crossmember and installed a front disk brake conversion from Chevsofthe40's.com
    -Installed a rear axle from a 2003 S-10 Blazer 4x4 with 3.73 posi and disk brakes.
    -T-5 Cross member from Hot Rod Works
    -SBC Motor mounts from Transdapt
    -Power steering unit from ezsteer, Ebay seller
    -Power brake/hydraulic clutch firewall mount pedal kit with 7in booster from Walton Fabrications
    -Low mile 350 Mr Goodwrench crate motor
    -Camaro T-5 5spd with S-10 tail housing swap
    -Re-cored the original radiator with a core sufficient to cool the SBC.
    -Stripped cleaned and painted the interior floors
    -New interior kit ordered from National Chevy

IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1899.JPG IMG_2307.JPG IMG_2308.JPG IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2323.JPG IMG_2324.JPG IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2326.JPG IMG_2327.JPG

25. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Anyone have a thought about the steering wheel? It's the original wheel so I'd like to keep it if it's not a hassle to drive with one that size. Don't need the big wheel now with power steering. With the new interior though, it's going to be a bit ugly so, refurbish, replace or leave as is?

The lower dash will get a facelift in the original color with all the chrome and stainless bits polished up so overall the interior is going to have a pretty fresh look other than the wheel.

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hit the swap meets. I picked this one up for a buck fifty. Been seeing prices anywhere from $275 to $400.

20201017_132641.jpg

302GMC likes this.
  27. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

A wheel from any '40s-'70s Chev, Pontiac, or Olds fits. Buick & Cad are one spline size bigger.
    I wonder how the '49 horn ring ended up in your car ...

28. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the power steering you could easily go with a 14" or 15" steering wheel, there are a ton of options that will keep a vintage look. The big stock wheel will look the best but I think I'd go with a smaller one for more room and ease of in-town driving.

29. Had not kept up with your post but glad to see you kept a pretty basic upgrade venue. You'll be plenty happy in the end. I went through the Steering wheel thing on my 51. I wanted to keep it simple so I did just that and painted the wheel to match. It's been Green and White for 18 years now. Large dia and all seems to work just fine. Just think about it.

30. hudson48

hudson48

Have the wheel modified to reduce diameter. I am sure you have people over there that can do it.
    I did the 54 Hudson steering wheel in my 1948 Hudson by Pearlcraft here in Australia. They now have new owners but could be cost effective with our dollar at the moment.
    109_0970 (Medium).JPG