Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 ford truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2345.coupe, Jul 27, 2020.

1. sold the roadster, she's off to Canada, Friday........
    my new build is a '33 ford truck.....
    starting to mock in the radiator ,grille and hood so I can establish where the cab is supposed to be located so everything fits together perfectly..... 33 ford truck conception.jpg 33 ford truck conception1.jpg 33 ford truck conception2.jpg 33 ford truck conception3.jpg

2. Is that door one of the United Pacific reproductions?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Looks like a good start!

4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good .

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sweet start.

6. it could be.....it was on the truck when I bought it.....

56don and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. thanks....I'm happy with it

8. yup , I agree

9. thanks, it's shaping up...

10. Using a Ford engine it looks like you are going to have to do a lot of firewall surgery, from the photos your pulleys are where your radiator needs to sit. HRP

11. good eye hotrodprimer......
    is a 64-65, 289....I'm trying to locate other pulleys, my crank pulley has only 3 holes and all I have are 4 hole pulleys. I shouldn't have to do much firewall surgery . If I push the motor back too far the shifter will be under the seat.

12. That's the reason why so many people use the sbc, the overall dimensions are that of the flathead,you might want to look into March Performance, after searching and buying multiple pulleys that didn't work out, I went with March, they are billet but it's the only thing that would work and fit in the confines I was working with. HRP

MARCH PULLEYS

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Sweet truck project and love the 289 motor . You can shorten that motor so you dont have to cut the firewall. Just use fords motorsports short waterpump and since you wanted to change pulleys get the shorter ones like HRP suggested

14. fleetside66

fleetside66

Great start. I'll bet that repop door was a pretty penny. And you got the sought after '34 grill with the stainless surround. Nice!

15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The waterpump part number in my SVO catalog as you see it saves you 1 1/2 and the pulley par numbers .. image.jpg image.jpg

sloppy jalopies and Budget36 like this.
  16. thanks for the suggestion....I'll look that up

thanks , great information....I'll source the pump and pulleys

thanks.....I bought the grille and hood yrs ago. I think it's cool looking also.....

continentaljohn likes this.
  17. continentaljohn likes this.
  18. ART 323436

ART 323436
    from Oakley ca

Looks good , is it chopped ? I’m doing a 34 chopped 2 1/2 inch full fendered. the sbc just fits with out cutting the wall but I having to using a Fan Mans off set electric motor unit , not sure if I going to stay with it. Have a couple small block fords they run a litter cooler .

19. I think its a 3, 1/2 " chop.......I'm doing full fender also.....

Petejoe likes this.
  20. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

34 Pickup.jpg Chop looks great. I'm not a PhotoShop user, this is just quick and dirty in MS Paint. Here's what I'd guess it would look like stock on the left, as is in the middle and a little more on the right. Keep the build pics coming and kudos on the Ford in a Ford. Me likey.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  21. Even with those shorter pulleys your going to probably knock the firewall in a bit. I am not sure how long a small block ford is off the top of my head, but on my 33 pickup with a small block chevy, I can barley get a pinky finger between my uncut firewall and the corner of the valve cover which is near the bump out of the firewall.

You could cut the welds and pull the firewall out and make a 32 firewall work

22. yeah, I'll have cut some of the lower section, maybe even recess it a little. I have to find the right transmission then mock it up and then I can actually see what needs to be done

23. thanks, I was going to put a 350 FI with a racing powerglide the truck, but that used to keep me up for lots of nights. So I found a nice 51 chevy coupe and problem solved, my chevy motor and trans have a proper home as well as my 298 .........

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. had 2 options, f-1 box or 65 mustang box, ......mocked in the mustang box, first.....once I put the motor back in I know if it will work...... 33 ford truck @ 65 mustang steering box.jpg 33 ford truck @ 65 mustang steering box1.jpg 33 ford truck @ 65 mustang steering box2.jpg 33 ford truck @ 65 mustang steering box3.jpg 33 ford truck @ 65 mustang steering box4.jpg

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. the mustang box will work, enough room for the motor mounts......had to modified the firewall to get the motor back far enough to clear the crossmember and run an electric fan.....
    33 ford truck firewall.jpg 33 ford truck firewall1.jpg 33 ford truck firewall2.jpg 33 ford truck firewall3.jpg 33 ford truck firewall4.jpg 33 ford truck firewall5.jpg 33 ford truck firewall6.jpg

brEad, kidcampbell71 and Petejoe like this.
  26. got the motor located where I want it, motor mounts mocked in ,cab located in the proper location.....some more firewall work then the motor mounts and steering box plate can be welded in...... 33 ford truck motor & cab mock up.jpg 33 ford truck motor & cab mock up1.jpg 33 ford truck motor & cab mock up2.jpg 33 ford truck motor & cab mock up3.jpg 33 ford truck motor & cab mock up4.jpg 33 ford truck motor & cab mock up5.jpg 33 ford truck motor & cab mock up6.jpg 33 ford truck motor & cab mock up7.jpg

brEad, roen132, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  27. finished modifying the firewall, experimenting with colors....
    also fabricated a new trans crossmember..... 33 ford truck firewall primer color.jpg finished transmission crossmember2.jpg finished transmission crossmember.jpg finished transmission crossmember1.jpg

28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

What are the pockets along the top inside of the frame rails for?