Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical WINDSHIELD WIPERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

No wipers on either the 30 Pickup or the 47 Coupe. We don't get a whole lot of rain around here, and when it looks like it's gonna rain I just leave them parked. So far I haven't been caught out in more than some light sprinkles.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My brother from another soggy mother! You have to be able to live with months of rain to live in this state! Wiper companies should pay us for our endorsements! Not the Vegas or LA guys.
    Great peep Dana!
    I run the Specialty Power Window cable ran unit on the 34 roadster and the Newport on the 40 truck project. Part of building cars in the PNW is building wiper systems that work...that and cup holders!

3. The Newport engeneering is a top of the line piece. HRP

jim snow, 3W JOHN and olscrounger like this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

When I get under the dash and get the chains back on track for Drake wiper system, then I'm going to look in on Newport for new arms and blades for my '40.

3W JOHN, olscrounger and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. Dave, you won't be disappointed. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said, Newport Eng-excellent! My 57 Fuely had a vacuum wiper but with the Trico electrovac vacuum pump factory installed--worked great!! Ficken wiper service also does excellent job on vacuum wiper rebuilds-those with a vacuum reserve also work well-vacuum canister like 57-60 GM cars had for their 3/2 setups works--there are others that are smaller as well.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I know better...than to 'stick with the classic', strictly.
    But when I had the shop, my '55 F100 had to be ready to go all the time, there were boats to tow in, Hemi engines to haul, and service calls to make. Wipers? I wished I had looked more closely at 'options' when I had the dash apart!

But my old bud Al Mise was working for me then, and had just replaced parts of the wiper system in his '60 F100...as usual, Al had a 'box of parts, just in case'. I bartered an American Bosch motor ('60 F100 type, mounted a little differently, but I notched my bracket, drilled a 1/4" hole, and was in business. Used the harness from my original 6 volt system, and the switch had the 'brake' feature.
    Looked original, worked nicely.
    New stainless arms and wipers, bezels & transmissions, all stainless. I was 'set'.

Worked great for that first year, (1980) then stopped working. Trouble shoot the system, electrical.
    Darndest thing: A brush was 'hanging', (stuck in its channel, just off the armature...) I ordered the closest thing I could get from McMaster-Carr, these brushes were the same length, with suitable pigtails, but were 1/16" wider. Easily sanded to fit, system worked perfectly once again.
    1986, (wow, 6 whole years) same thing happened, same brush position. I removed both, sanded with 600 (dry) and replaced the polished brushes.
    Worked well again, but 1995 we had just bought the house, it was raining cats & dogs. (that would be called a "Calif. Downpour", nothing compared to you Wash./Oregon fellows...but downpour nonetheless.
    This time there was no time to fix it, (hate to say it, but I removed the wipers and all the mechanics...
    I'll get to them when I wire the truck, and replace gauges)
    2020. Hey, most of the other stuff done. Think I'll give Newport a call!
    Thanks for all the info, Guys.

8. Budget36

Budget36

I may still have a few in need of rebuild, laying around somewhere. Have to see if they will fit in the header of my ‘36. When working good, they were fine. Seemed to only last a few years before being torn down tho. My dad drove bottom dumps and transfers so not much work in the rain, I think them sitting is what made them go to hell so soon with so little use?

Ned Ludd likes this.
  9. Lots of good ideas if you look at later model REAR wiper motors. Mid 2000s Subies have a fairly small one that would work in a coupe after trimming the bracket down. Mount it with a removeable arm and you would have a drivers side wiper in bad weather

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

One more possible trip for your '53-'55 Ford F100:
    BMW 325 windshield wiper motor with all its hardware: Easy to mount, AND: the wiper transmissions are spaced the same as the F100.
    Newport is excellent, but this is a 'hobby' to find the least expensive route, right?
    $240+ isn't the cheapest, the BMWs are aplenty in wrecking yards.