Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Bohnalite" Cowl Steering box???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Oct 20, 2020.

1. oldsboy

oldsboy

So I picked up what I'd thought was an older Schroeder steering box as it resembled the box from the Doane Spencer roadster, however after closer inspection it has "Bohnalite" cast into all three major housing components.

I've tried to do some searching but only came up with they were an early aluminum caster or Pistons and Flathead Heads. I can't seem to find any steering box info.

Can anyone shed some light on the history of this guy or Bohnalite in general?

It's a 6-1 box unfortunately so my plan is to reach out to Ididit and see if I can pickup some 8-1 gears and reverse the drive from right to left.... unless anyone has any other ideas?

IMG_20201020_180614.jpg IMG_20201020_180543.jpg IMG_20201020_180602.jpg
    IMG_20201020_180629.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. BJR

BJR

Have you seen the thread on cowl steering just say no? You should read it, it may change your mind..... if you are a thinking person.

26 T Ford RPU and tractorguy like this.
  3. oldsboy

oldsboy

I have. Some people don't agree with it I know.

I'm familiar with the issues associated with cowl steering. This will be going into a '27 T roadster so it'll be a light car and I can work through the geometries.

alchemy and Gofannon like this.
  4. Once again, the gospel of absolutism is recited.....gotta laugh....guy scored a unit that may work well for it's intended application, and wham! there it is......Oh jeez...Ya'can't do that, didn't ya read the thread???. Amusing.

5. Move along, nothing to see here,,
    I hope someone can give you the info on that box, nice peice.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Bohnalite cast parts for Ford motors, was it maybe for the 30's racing program? The campaign where the Ford steering boxes overheated and cars dropped from the race. 1935 front wheel drive cars?

Maybe they continued in the racing field and thought they could learn from Ford's mistakes with their new steering boxes. I think you have something very rare and valuable.

7. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks @alchemy !

That's more information than I could find and the closest connection to steering boxes and Bohnalite I've seen.

All that I could come up with was Bohnalite was an early Aluminum Casting company and they did more with pistons and flathead heads than anything else. The direct connection to Ford and the front wheel drive cars is pretty awesome.

I'm probably going to reach out to a few friends at the Speedway Museum and see if they know anything about this, hopefully something will come up with the resources of the Museum.

I was planning on narrowing it to fit my application and run it, but now I'm a bit hesitant to muck it up too bad. That is, if it is a rare piece or has some serious history to it.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Yes it’s rare, but maybe not from a historically significant car. Does Jess’s dad still work there? He helped me years ago with some research.

9. That is one cool box! I would totally build a car around it but you are right, find out more about it first.

10. oldsboy

oldsboy

I believe he's "Retired" and Tim Mathews is now heading up the Museum. That's who I'm going to try and run this by or inquire with through some channels.

Tman likes this.