Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 chevy quarter panel question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al Baker, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Seeking advice on best way to clean and polish the insert quarter panels on a 57 Chevy Bel Air.
    These are the wide/angled metal veneer inserts with the polished striped lines and matte finished spaces in between - located on the rear quarter fins.
    I would like to know my best options for improving their appearance without removing them. I tried how-to YouTube but nothing found. Anyone with suggestions would be appreciated. The ones on my 57 are certainly not terrible and make a presentable look - I just want to improve and polish them.
    Thanks!
    Al

2. I would think just a non-abrasive wax would be the best. Anything more aggressive than that might cause damage.

belair and 1934coupe like this.
  3. Thanks for the reply - yes wax always improves - and most of the panel areas are just fine but these are original and some areas show some aging and lack of TLC - so to go all the way and remove them to make perfect is not my intent - but simply looking for someone who may have had similar situation in detailing these sorts of unique trim pieces before I go to trial and error.

4. I polished the stripped lines on my dads 57 nomad, once. took for ever but really made it pop. I took masking tape and an x-acto knife and carefully tapped off the non polished areas, then slowly and gently by hand polished the ribs with Semi-Chrome polish with a polishing wheel on a Dremel tool set at low speed. worked great, but took almost 2 days to do.

5. Thank You Jason - I actually felt the pain in your 2-day labor - but you did a good son's service.
    And I was afraid of this when I posted cuz I knew it was not gonna be EZ - especially while on the car.
    So it's a winter job in a heated garage one side at a time - I'm also thinking maybe a soft [gentle]soapy Brillo pad and fresh water hose for the non-polished lines before taping - looking to clean up some staining here and there?

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you tape it off, look for some fin line tape the correct width. Could save some time.

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Lothiandon is right on the money. Those panels discolor from day one, I have always waxed them and called it good. I don't think they will ever be as nice as they where in the show room but they will be clean and shiny.

Pat

belair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. thanks guys all good - have yet to measure exact tape width required? If I can find the right fit that would certainly be a time saver - and yes these panels are 63 years old so ain't no goin back to '57 shine - but they've never been detailed as far as I can tell so just looking to improve to the extent possible.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd tape the recessed areas, then use some wet 2000 in a hard rubber sanding block. The come back with the rubber block wrapped tight with a polishing rag loaded with your choice of polishing compound and "block polish" the raised fins, introducing a clean rag surface as it becomes soiled.

10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I remember a guy on the base had a restored 57 hardtop. He found some NOS quarter panel inserts. So he pull off the original ones (which were screw and glued) and found to his amazement that the left panel was so pitted that someone had cut out a 8 by 2 inch piece which was hidden by the insert. Interesting enough the right quarter panel was already replace.

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I have used mag wheel polish on mine by hand.
    Probably 1/2 hour on each side. Definitely made a difference but I did not polish the ribs separately. After a little while it stopped being fun. . .

12. Thanks - learning a lot here - definitely taping and block polishing rings true to me - no question fun stops quick but it's what we all do - sure beats golf. Appreciate all replies!

13. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used Never Dul a wading that you tear off usually available at truck stops Rub hard let dry and wipe off with another clean rag. Mine are originals and still look fairly good.

14. Thank you piker - sounds easy and practical - I will pick up some Never Dul and try it.

15. Those panels may be anodized to protect the finish. Once removed it will need wax to prevent oxidation.

Hnstray, Elcohaulic and belair like this.
  16. Yea I wondered about that - still not sure of the metal - cant tell if it's aluminum stainless steel or some alloy combinations - hard to figure out the best way to improve appearance - they are not in bad shape just a few spots here and there that could use cleaning - repops of these are pricing around 700 not to mention re-install. which is why I posted this in the first place - I figgered others may have had same issues.

17. ^^^ They are aluminum. Same as the "gold" trim pieces for the Belair model.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. OK Al-u minium! good to know - and yet the raised stripes have a 'chrome' finish? So are these surfaces [both shiny and dull] meant to be polished with chrome or other sort of abrasive treatments similar to today's Billet metals? Seems the more we know the less we know?
    Thanks

19. classiccarfreak

classiccarfreak
    from Saline, MI

I have tried polishing them on my 57 but have not found a good way of doing it quickly without getting into the groves.

20. I believe the lower area is anodized and dyed white. I would be careful how I cleaned it. Abrasives, like polish will, remove the dye and leave bare aluminum, which will then oxidize. The upper surfaces could be polished, as they are clear anodized, no dye. You will need to protect the area once finished. As mentioned before. bare metal will oxidize.

It's not easy to see in the photo, but I painted my inserts to match the body, then sanded the raised portion using a wood block. The finer the grit, the brighter the shine. Clear coat paint after.
    DSCN6421.JPG

Jim Bouchard and Hnstray like this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Most 57's have rust pitting behind the aluminum trim. When I did the shorty wagon. It had Belair trim on it and the area behind the trim was pitted pretty bad. Enough that I ended up replacing the quarters.