Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1961 Cadillac Suspension Interchanges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HeloCrewChief, Apr 14, 2020.

1. HeloCrewChief

HeloCrewChief
    from 253 Tacoma

I’m looking for new control arms for my 61 Coupe. Someone installed airbags and cut of the front control arms and rear trailing arms. What other cars interchange with the 61 Cadillac control arms and trailing arms? I did an eBay search and 65-70 Impala arms popped up and it said they fit 1961 Cadillac. I find that hard to believe, however they do look similar. Thanks guys!

2. town sedan

town sedan

Someone with a Hollander Interchange manual will hopefully chime in with an answer.
    -Dave

Hnstray likes this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

According to my Hollander it doesn't show uppers until 63. But lowers are #519 and only 61-64 Cadillac and 65 Fleetwood only. No other listings....

Hnstray and town sedan like this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Also interesting it shows a knee assembly which is upper/lower arm, spindle/ball joint assembly as a set Cadillac 1961-64 as 1 and 65-75 as 2 ......

So I guess if you change the whole assembly you can go newer to 75. Maybe the difference in ball joint body and stud sizes to fit the arms and spindles.

Hope that helps....

EDIT ××× never mind××× it's wording in the book is misleading, its listed as 65-75 what that actually means is a 65 year and a model 75 which is a fleetwood, so only a 65 Fleetwood... Again sorry for the confusion...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    town sedan likes this.

5. ‘61 Buick or ‘61 Oldsmobile.... possibly

6. You might call Fatman Fabrication in Mint Hill North Carolina

7. southerncad

southerncad

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

More digging....

These old books aren't very well organized....

If I go to later models and go backwards it shows upper arms the same from 61 to 70 on all models....

Not finding anything on rear arms.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

town sedan likes this.
  10. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I have a 63 coupe de Ville and about 20 years ago I bought a 70 - 72 Cadillac sedan I can’t remember the exact year . I took the front spindles from the 70 and bolted them directly to the 63 upper and lower control arm to gain disc brakes. There is a lot more involved to the swap than just that but all the 70 parts bolted right up to the 63.
    Not sure if that helps you or not?

Elcohaulic and Hnstray like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I have purchased two esoteric Cadillac transmissions from them.

Super pleased with the service.

Moriarity likes this.
  12. Owen's Salvage in Texas may have parts cars around, worth a call plus he's an alliance vendor here. They always did me right.

13. HeloCrewChief

HeloCrewChief
    from 253 Tacoma

Thank you for the help guys. I have bought stuff from French Lake Auto Parts. I was hoping to just find a nice tubular kit for it but, looks like I will source some stock arms and take my time cleaning and rebuilding them. Just swap them in with a Jamco Spring and Disc Brake kit all at the same time.

Tri-power37 likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have heard horror stories of tubular a arms breaking at the welds and the car falling to the ground......we know the OE stuff is good.....

town sedan, bobss396 and Tri-power37 like this.
  15. Zaid880

Zaid880
    from Phoenix

Hey Chief,

Happened to drop in on this site after a couple years and looked over the 1961 cad stuff.
    I have learned to search for all 61 gm passenger cars when looking for parts for my CDV. A lot of that stuff is interchangeable.

16. ur2nvs

ur2nvs

@HeloCrewChief Choppin Block makes tubular arms for our cars, if your looking to keep airride on it. Otherwise, i dont know of anyone that makes tubular arms for springs.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what I got from my Hollander a minute ago. I didn't see the thread earlier.
    the 65 Fleetwood is the 75 "series" GM number is 3632201.

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There’s a few Caddies stuck in the ground at an angle out in Texas that probably have just what you need:rolleyes: