Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hemi in Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OZCAST, Oct 20, 2020.

1. OZCAST

OZCAST

Anyone know if this will fit?

Will a '56 331 Hemi fit in a 50 buick? I know they are wide, but want to know before I buy the motor. (which has to be shipped)
    Orginal plan was to build a 401 for it, but I cant build it or buy it for under 4K-4500. This Hemi is done with a period correct dual quad intake for 4k.

Thoughts? The price of the nailhead is about a grand more than I thought it would be

Thx,
    Jason

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. I don't know the answer, Jason, but do know the Buick parts are wanted/needed by someone.

Ben

3. I have no doubt it will fit, but I don't envy you regarding transmission/rear end mods.

4. OZCAST

OZCAST

..and then there's that...yes...another reason to go nailhead

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only if you plan on going with an early version that has a Dynaflow and is compatible with the torque-tube rear-end.

Still not a good idea in my book. (not using a hemi, but trying to stick with the outdated drivetrain in the '50).

6. OZCAST

OZCAST

No, already have the new suspension ordered and an SP400. Dynaflow gotta go

7. BJR

BJR

Not a Hemi, but I put a 472 Cad in a 49 Buick Super with plenty of room to spare.

OZCAST likes this.
  8. grey49ghost

grey49ghost

Nailhead will cost more up front like you said which makes sense cause it's worth it. What year is you're SP400? If its a 64-66 with the switch pitch convertor it will do great behind a stock 401. Plus the cool factor of a 401 in an old Buick with the hood removed is hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic and OZCAST like this.
  9. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Go with the Buick.Have had both and have no preference as for as the engines go, but Buick in aBuick seems more correct

OZCAST likes this.
  10. OZCAST

OZCAST

64 motor / 64 tranny

11. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

fyi...a nailhead, a hemi, a caddy even a studey are more than acceptable in an old buick. but no chevies or fords. :eek::D

12. OZCAST

OZCAST

That 331 just looks so bad ass. I want a cool car, not a cookie cutter LS.

13. OZCAST

OZCAST

I'm gunna keep the 401 either way. Never know when I might find another Buick. I will have the straight 8, dynaflow for sale when I'm done with the swap. Tranny has about 500 miles after rebuild. Motor is tired, but runs good. May have the rearend for sale too, rebuilt with the tranny) Have a 9" I'm debating on putting in as well.....if that's what you mean

14. grey49ghost

grey49ghost

15. 50 Buick best bet is the Nailhead! Keep it simple, and with better resale, when that day comes.

OZCAST likes this.
  16. Ah, go ahead and mess with the people at car shows .... drop in a flat head Ford engine.

knucklenutz and OZCAST like this.
  17. My vote is also for the Nailhead. With the right multi-carb. intake, it would have that look. Might be interested in the Straight 8 if it is a 248. If you decide on putting in the 9 inch, a thread on that with pictures on the install would be cool. I just bought a 40 coupe and looking at rear axle options.

OZCAST likes this.
  18. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I think the Nailhead would be easier/cheaper to maintain. I have friends with Hemis and they need tinkering a lot. So $4k-4.5K for a rebuilt Nailhead versus buying a Hemi that is "done"...does that mean its rebuilt with no miles or its done meaning it runs? Because if its used you really don't know its condition unless you've done a compression test yourself. You say it needs to be shipped, so I "assume" 1- you haven't seen it in person and checked it out and 2- its used. I could be wrong though.
    Id still go Nailhead.

19. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I have a 392 hemi in a 1934 Ford so I would imagine it would fit the Buick...

OZCAST likes this.
  20. v8flat44

v8flat44

Hemi & Torqureflite......OH YES !!!! I tripple dog dare ya........different ... YOU BET !!!!

OZCAST likes this.
  21. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

331” hemi? No, no and no.

Because: There is no replacement for displacement.

And: You gain three circus fat ladies on the front bumper.

I replaced a Desoto 341” in my ‘53 F100 with a Dodge 318. Life was soooooo much better.

Elcohaulic, firstinsteele and OZCAST like this.
  22. OZCAST

OZCAST

Will do!

23. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I vote for the nailhead too.

I love a hemi but by the time you make it all fit, get steering to fit around that big motor along with other mods I see the 401 being a easier fit and money saver in the long run.

OZCAST likes this.
  24. OZCAST

OZCAST

Decided on a 401 with a B&m hydro shift. Ill post pics of the full job. Putting a 9" in as well with 3:71. Should be pretty fun

Attached Files:

firstinsteele and bchctybob like this.
  25. grey49ghost

grey49ghost

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If you have a Dynaflow behind the original straight 8, I would be interested in it. PM me if for sale.

27. jaracer

jaracer

I don't believe the 64 Buick 400 trans is a "switch pitch". I think only the 65 and 66 were.

28. jaracer

jaracer

I bought a 65 Electra for the engine and trans. Drove it home and it ran real well. The only negative was a lifter tick when first started cold. Tore down the engine and was amazed to see how worn out it was. It was right about $4000.00 to get it done, so your pricing is pretty close. That's with me doing all the assembly. The 400 transmission was in much better shape, it only needed seals. The clutches and the band looked like new. I'd still go for the nailhead, but the hemi would be cool.