Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 56 Ford F100 experts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irish Mike, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Need guidance on how this spring is installed. It was removed by someone else. It surrounds the window regulator shaft and acts like a clutch and keeps the window in position....I asked on the Ford Truck site with no luck...Thanks in advance...
    IMG_2920.PNG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

??? I had my regulator out and even changed a splined shaft cuz it was screwed up from someone using vise grips on it and I don't remember seeing a spring like that, but it has been a while. No one on Ford Truck Enthusiasts could help?? I found quite a bit of info on Mid Fifty's site. They sell regulator shafts and it seems like they have a PDFs you can see when you punch the more info button on their parts listings. Good luck...

3. Thanks Greg....It surrounds the splined shaft and goes against the “hat” shaped cover.....the gear has something to do with it....

4. Here's a photo of a new unit.
    [​IMG] The spring would be inside the Gold cover and have index marks for the ends of the spring. I haven't had one apart for years but as I remember it it's pretty easy to determine where and how it works. Post up photos of what you have and we can probably

loudbang likes this.

5. get you back together.

6. Sounds good.... I’ll get the photos tomorrow...Thanks…

7. OK....Here are all the parts....I guess I’m not putting the spring in the correct orientation...Does one tang of the spring go into the hole below the gear.....and that part must go in the bigger slot of the ring...opposite the slot with the tab....Also, does the square part of the shaft have to be sweaged or tack welded to the ring? Discuss..... 101C0ED8-7C5F-4DFD-A1C4-167BC2786FB5.jpeg BC901E3E-256F-45DF-BB1F-452F70A9A32D.jpeg 39A1CFA6-5EB2-4C4E-9D6B-D0448B3E5DB5.jpeg 1AB07683-FF74-47F1-B264-18CD6EE72A69.jpeg BFCEC220-6844-493C-9678-4F5703E84DF9.jpeg 15C0E11A-E7DE-4C39-B04D-26E0E7B29359.jpeg

8. The spring is actually a friction brake for the Handle Shaft. Coiling the spring tighter releases the friction and lets the Larger spring on the big lever carry the weight of the Glass. I'm not positive but I believe you may actually be missing a piece that fits on the shaft inside the spring coil. Guess I need to go take one apart for a look see. I'll have to get back to ya on this one.

9. @1oldtimer and @Pist-n-Broke....Thanks.....I didn't take it apart so I'm not sure if I have all the components and it looks like someone drilled that hole in the gear collar.....Dan, do you have a pass. side off a '56? They are different form a '55 I believe.....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  10. I didn't know that before......now I do. 53-55 I have, but '56 is different :(. Sorry Mike

11. Thanks for the offer Dan.....It's almost ready for the road....insured it today!

12. I dropped the ball. I know I have a 56 regulator with a broken Lift spring. And yes 53-55 are different than 56 however, I think the actual handle unit is the same for all 4 years. I know 56 went to the set screw but the handles still fit both ways. I have some good 53-55 units and if I can't find the 56 I want I will drill out the rivets of one of those. I may go back out after dinner and keep scrounging. It's amazing how things just evaporate isn't it?

13. I appreciate the help.....

14. I’m ready to drive this beast.... 37CE1899-92DD-479B-9C6F-00991CBEA6C7.jpeg

flyin-t, coupe man, harpo1313 and 2 others like this.
  15. I'm jealous as heck. I'm only this close. Some Day, I swear.
    20200801_144658[1].jpg

Irish Mike likes this.
  16. @Pist-n-Broke Looking good...Did you move the front wheels forword?

17. Yes;

18. I gave up trying to find the 56 unit with the broken lift spring. Took apart a 53-55 unit. They are just a bit different looking at what I have and the photos of yours. They both do the same job, they are a friction brake. I the static position the coil spring makes pressure on the inside of the housing to hold it in place. When you turn the handle you tighten up the spring releasing it from the housing, not by much. That is done by the free movement between the 2 inner pieces. If you look close at the edge of the inner shell your spring is on there should be some witness marks from where the spring ends were hooked. You should be able to just put it back together on the inner shell, pull the ends together and set it inside the outter shell.
    Here's a photo of mine, nothing is missing or broken in yours.
    Good luck.
    20201020_125806[1].jpg

19. @Pist-n-Broke.....Thanks for taking the time and doing that....I’ll try again...I get the concept but when I get it together, it won’t move at all.....if I can’t get it to go, I’ll have to call regulator Roy…

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  20. Wrench97

Wrench97

I use to work on a lot of C800 and LN8000 Ford trucks the C800's designed in the mid 50's had a lot of those components till the end in 1989 by the late 90's window regulators and door latches were going obsolete so we use to buy the LN regulators and disassemble to get the parts to fix the C's.
    You can still find some of the later C's and LN's in truck salvage yards so have a look at what's there to see if parts are actually as similar as my memory thinks they are:)

21. Thanks for the info.....

Good to hear your keeping yours.....Turned out great!

22. ...I have a good pair of regulators if needed...
    56 ford p.u. wshield, parts 009.jpg

23. Those are ‘55 Rusty but I appreciate the offer!

24. Mike,..thanks,...got them with some 56 F-100 parts so figured they were 56,.

25. Whats the plan with yours?

26. Stop spending money on it......:p

flyin-t likes this.
  27. Just tweeking it and driving it...The main objective next is pulling the 4-speed and going with the OG 3-speed or the Fordomatic :).....

28. There might be a T170 in a wrecking yard somewhere close :).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020