Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New guy confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zinky, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 58 Mustang

58 Mustang

Some were, most were not and none were trucks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST and tractorguy like this.
  3. 5window

5window

Clearly there those on this board who are very restricted in their outlook, others who welcome a wider range of appreciation of anything that is old and cool.. The best thing I can suggest is to read a lot of threads, get a feel for what is allowed, or not, and maybe wing it. Lots of HAMBers have vehicle that are not 100% HAMB friendly. They talk about the HAMB friendly bits and don't discuss the non-relevant bits. So, try posting your truck without mentioning it's a 4wd.

4. 5window

5window

Vaseline was patented in 1872. Both slippery and traditional.

VANDENPLAS and Bandit Billy like this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

Too much info.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Not water based.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Obits must be traditional?

unfinished likes this.
  8. grumpy65

grumpy65

^^^ Ok, just one word..........'respect'.
    Now I know it's time to move on outa here.
    Left click........going......going.............gone..................................:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  9. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Lil32, VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The shark DeRosa..jpg And Lowriders.

11. KY works great for lubricating rubber parts and seals

Bandit Billy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Post em on the antiquated forum.
    the same rules for late model fuel injection and large diameter wheels (non OE) still apply though.
    post there.
    But to answer the question on what is traditional or not belongs with the bosses here.
    Not a dig, just facts.

13. ZINNNKY !!! ZIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKYYYY!!!!

ZINKY !!!!!!!!!!

ED34CC6A-AA62-4951-B26B-AFE84BCCB90E.gif

14. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Alas Zinky we barely knew ye.....!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. ...and that thread has been deleted also.;)

16. jnaki

jnaki

1) what is "period correct" here?

Hello,

This is a confusing question. The time period for any "period correct" build has to be specific in terms of year(s). One person will say his Gas Coupe is 60s period correct and that time span is too large to pinpoint what is and what isn't acceptable. What is period correct in the early 1950-1960 days is not period correct in 1965. The development and modification changes allowed the class to get sponsors, look more like full on race cars and not the original street legal hot rods.

Gone were the requirements for mufflers, working headlights and brake lights. Also the front bumper was optional. What was accepted as street legal was not what was on most cars after 1965. Remember, the class was designated to allow all of us to race our stock daily drivers at the drags. Pop the hubcaps and race was a good thing. So, that drew in a lot of people wanting to see what their car/hot rod could do within the limits set by the class rules.

The Drag News classifications were also changed to Competition Coupes and Sedans. No, not in the same category as the real modified Competition Coupes with no fenders and odd body shapes. But, by the time the street legal classes were on their way out, there were some people pushing the limits of what was and was not a Gas Coupe.

Gas Coupes and Sedans finally got the nickname gassers and that evolved into a whole new ball game. Open headers, spindle 12 spoke rims, straight axles, odd ball useless springs and angles of the stance, etc. Nothing was street legal and then the original Gas Coupes and Sedans disappeared as a whole. They were lumped into paid match races and various eliminator classes.

Gone were the times where the average Joe in the stands could identify with the car on the drag strip as one he is driving or would like to drive on a daily basis. Now, it was all out competition race cars as the money poured in and huge modifications came onto the scene. A lot of the original Gas Coupe owners and drivers went to various body styles and finally some ended up in the Funny Car classes.

Jnaki

Having been in the early movement of street legal hot rods involved in the Gas Coupe and Sedan classes gave us a good idea of what was and wasn't a Gas Coupe and Sedan. If your header system was not hooked up to a muffler system, the tech group put a car in the Altered Class against real modified cars for competition. We had a 10% engine set back, the modified Altered Cars had a 25% set back and very little else, as they were not street legal.

So, when you mention "period correct," that opens up a can of worms as to what period of years, in what time period in the development of drag racing or hot rod building. A Flathead powered roadster was "popular" until the SBC and other OHV motors came on the scene. So to say a Flathead is period correct, brings to mind, what period and what car. Probably something before the early OHV motors came about. I would be hard to say SBC motors in a roadster is period correct... as they are in some circles, but again, what time period and what era.

It is a wiggly line to stay on track and build something. Generalizations like "all gassers had straight axles and had their nose up in the air being period correct is a total falsehood. You have to be specific and not cross lines. Look at the You Tube videos of a specific time period and see what was a real Gas Coupe or Sedan looked like in action.
    DOUG COOK 1937 CHEVY COUPE

JUNIOR THOMPSON 1959 GAS COUPE AND SEDAN CLASS

ratrodrodder and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Dudes thread is featured now.
    Kinda ironic, dontcha think.
    Didn’t know Linda was gone.
    I’m a little saddened.

Tman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. This is pretty traditional

19. 5window

5window

I,too, am saddened. But, while it was always a little voyeuuristic, lately it has been getting a rather crude.

20. It’s not the reason most might think. I didn’t know who she was until hanging out here. Same for Jungle Pam. I heard the names from some of my older friends but the HAMB threads put them into context.
    The pics of a small part of automotive history was cool.

21. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I would seriously disagree that a hot rod can't be 4WD, mine has been towing traditional cars and hot rods out of "where found" grave sites for over forty years and continues to do so. I think a Marmon Herrington, a Napco or a Dodge Power Wagon certainly fits the traditional designation. Didn't Hot Rod build/sponsor a 4WD 32 roadster back in the day?

chryslerfan55, tractorguy and 5window like this.
  22. Come on man, be serious.

So you're saying this:
    [​IMG]

And this:
    [​IMG]

...are two of a kind?

tractorguy and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

"Stick around & you'll figure it out" , LOL , stick around , pay close attention, you'll figure " something" out ....

5window likes this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

25. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I think Mr. Zinky is gone for good, no posts after Sunday.

26. 5window

5window

I was going to comment again, but then I realized that this is a really silly conversation and it is over 70 outside in central PA so I am going outside, Good luck,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.