Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gasser rear suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FNG, Oct 20, 2020.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

I'm helping my buddy build a gasser that he acquired from someone who narrowed moved the rear frames inward to accept 14x32x15" Slicks so its a confused car for sure front half a gasser the rear half a more modern drag car.
    We have a set of mockup leaf springs in there now that leave no room for the traditional type ladder bars that would either bolt to or weld to the axle tubes. So my first inclination would be to run a 4 link set up, but that would be a nontraditional way of building a gasser as far as we are both concerned. So doe anyone know of a ladder bar with an offset mounting bracket? I've attached a picture to make it easier to see what I'm facing any input is appreciated, and no I am not moving the rails or swapping out the rear 20201004_172012.jpg

Mario p herrera likes this.
  2. If you refuse to move the rails then look into a CalTrak bar to work with the leaf springs

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm confused, your wanting to run ladder bars with leaf springs? If so your going to full float the springs??

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe @Marty Strode will post some rear suspension shots.
    They can be made to work.

upload_2020-10-20_14-3-17.png

Deuces likes this.

5. With the current width of his frame rails, leaf springs and ladder bars won't fit.
    If he moved his leaf springs to outside the frame rails (like on my 57 Chevy p/u) it would free up space in the middle.

FB_IMG_1603243153330.jpg FB_IMG_1603243159199.jpg

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Swade, what are you running for power in that red Willys ?

7. 6sally6

6sally6

I bet the good-old fashion-lift bars (like on the Ford Thunder Bolts/Falcons of the 60's) would fit. Like stated........full floating rear would be needed.
    They will "plant'em fer sure!!
    6sally6

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I would agree with building spring mounts boxed in on the outside of the frame rails. It will make it all fit together easier, and fit the gasser build much better.

9. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Mounting the springs on the outside of the frame rail like a Tri-Five would possibly work but I don't believe there is enough room with the slicks in place only other alternative would be is to run a narrower tire

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

If you move springs outboard how wide a tire do you think u can run then?

I get to see this on occasion. Customer will show up with a car and want to change the rear suspension setup and do to the fact of previous work its almost always ends up being a case of numerous short cuts to make things fit and on most occasions it never works out well.

Every once in awhile it works out but not very often. Especially if your after both traction and ride.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Those slicks aren't really very traditional, nor are they much good for the street either. So I'd be ditching them anyway, and switch to something that's more of a gasser style tire and wheel anyway.

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Why can't ladder bars be mounted inside the springs? May be a little narrow but...
    How about a single torque arm.

bchctybob likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I guess the question is what are you trying to do with this car? If your planning to run SEGA you need to ask Quain Stott what they will accept. If it's just a street car it really doesn't matter what you put under there, it's all about the wheel/tire-to-body look from the outside. Make custom ladder bar brackets and put them inside where they fit. Or mount quarter elliptics on the bottom of the frame and put the ladder bars outside like the early funny cars. Someone may look under and say, that's not traditional gasser, f__k 'em.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

In situations like these, something has to give.

Remove what's not "gasser" and you'll have a lot more options.

15. Well it's not a traditional Briggs...lol

It's an overhead cam model, it carts my 230 lbs around pretty easy but doesn't stop so good with a single disc brake on the rear axle. 20190217_221754.jpg

Budget36 likes this.
  16. You are contradicting yourself, you know a 14x32 isn't a "traditional" gasser size tire but yet are hesitant to put a correct one on there. Make it look right and adhere to whatever group you'll be racing with, Lord knows there's plenty of groups to choose from and have fun running with.