Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PPG Shopline Urethane...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

"If I knew then what I know now..."! Won't make the same mistake again. I'll pay for quality but it's just that based on my research Shopline didn't seem too bad. What about Delfleet, same false economy? I'll finish my project with the Shopline product but in the future I won't use it. Thanks to all for the replies and education...

2. OregonHoodlum

OregonHoodlum

I don't mind paying more for a better quality product which will last longer. Is there an online resource where I can view the Deltron colors in order to make a selection?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Delfleet Evolution is a really great product line and is very versatile. It is a more value cost line as compared to DCC Concept and as it is designed for over the road trucks and heavy equipment. The one downfall is its limited color pallet. What I mean by that is, you probably won't find formula for a 1957 Chevy Tropical Turquoise. Also in the Delfleet line is a little more cost savings with their Essentials line. Still great products that I would trust and use any time.

There is no online source for colors specifically. If you have a good local distributor they should have color chip books they will let you peruse. If you are looking for something a bit of a vintage color I typically look online at older classics and see what's available.

I also happen to have a full collection of color chip books all the way back to the 40's. This is how I found the color I am going to paint my latest project 51 Chevy truck. I sleeted a 1955 Chevy only color for it. So if there is something you want to see, or want me to look up to see if it is available please feel free to shoot me a private message and I will be glad to help you out any way I can.

Glenn

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I painted the touring with PPG Urotec SS. An Industrial urethane, covered great, lots of gloss and buffed out nicely.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m no painter but the last one I did was Ditzler Dela
    Star Black enamel with a hardner. Convinced the store I was painting office steel furniture to get it.. They tried to trip me up more times than I thought they would. No clear.

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

TAMCO!!!!!

Aside from a couple of their custom colors I have been getting FULL COVERAGE from 1 coat!

The custom colors that I used on my bucket have a metallic/pearl type finish and it took misting them on in 3 coats to get the desired effect.
    Not only great coverage, but the customer service is 2nd to none. Pricing is great and quality isnt bargain basement by any means

RMR&C and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

We are Car Guys not English teachers

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

But we are English readers! LOL

warbird1, bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. As others have attested- PPG Delfleet essentials single stage urethane is easy to work with, covers well, sands and polishes good and won’t break the bank.[​IMG]

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

. My favorite 47 business coupe.

Asphalt Angel and Jim Bouchard like this.
  11. I wouldn't trust anything online for assessing colours. You need to see it. First on chips, then mixed, then sprayed out on a test panel if it's really crucial. And work from there.

RMR&C likes this.
  12. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

This all has to do with solid content. If a paint has a 35% solid content it's going to take multiple coats to cover especially if its reduced. If a single stage paint has 60 is 65% solid content it will cover in one or two coats. The solid content can be found usually on the product datasheet.

Fortunateson likes this.
  13. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

14. Thanks Joe!- Missed seeing you guys in Louisville this year- hoping things clear up a bit and they open the border back up for next year so we can catch up!

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks, good article. I'll be talking to a PPG rep later this week. The Delfleet looks promising. The sale guy said they couldn't get the colour I needed for a restoration and proper insurance for a restored vehicle so I had to do Shopline. Two weeks after painting I found that even though they couldn't mix the paint code in Delfleet they had the same colour by name! Bugger!!!

SDhotrod likes this.
  16. Two things you have to realize when trying to get old colours. One is that a lot of the toners that were originally used to mix those colours are no longer available. Sometimes you will get lucky and the paint company has had enough call for it that they have a new formulation with new toners but if they do it is often only available in one of their paint lines. Second never assume a colour is the same just because it has the same name. Especially if you are going from an automotive line to a fleet/industrial line of paint. 99 times out of 100 you are going to be dissapointed.

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks Pat.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Oh I know, as Shakespeare said, "What's in a name?", but it may have been enough to convince the insurance company. With our Govt insurance company, and I have no problem with them, under Collector or Vintage plates you can have a colour change within +/- two years as long it is a colour offered by the manufacturer. Under modified they weren't so sure... I can but a jet engine in a '32 and its classified as modified.

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey, I just saw that this is a featured thread! Well at least that is a good outcome; I'll add it to my collection...