Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical High Torque Mini Starters.......Your experiences

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Oct 19, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Gonna buy a high torque mini starter since I need a new starter for a build I'm doing. I would like to know what brands have worked well for others, and what brands have been problematic. Any recommendations........

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve used the same one from Summit twice now. 2 plus years in my kids DD. The other only about 6 months use. I’d have to look up my older purchases to get the link for it. I think it’s around 139.00 now. Clockable and works with either Chevy flywheel

ekimneirbo and dana barlow like this.
  3. saltracer219

saltracer219

As with most anything you get what you pay for! The cheap ones (under $150) have a fairly short life. The higher quality units like Power Master seem to work well. They all sound like a gear reduction starter though!

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are at least 20 threads on here about issues with the "high torque mini starters"

If you have a Chevy engine with the holes on the block to mount a starter there are factory Delco high torque small body starters for both 153 and 168 tooth ring gears that actually fit, don't eat up your ring gear and you don't have a fight with. They aren't real cheap new though.

6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

A 500 Caddillac:D

saltflats likes this.
  7. 34Phil

34Phil

What engine? OEM now offering permanent magnet starters so junkyard may be the deal.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  8. jaracer

jaracer

I've had one on my daily driver, 64 Chevy Truck, for the last 7 years. It came from Speedway Motors and the engine, 350 small block, has never cranked over better. I went to this starter because the remans I was getting just didn't get the job done.

I also put one on my Model A project, 401 Buick Nailhead, I think it is a Powermaster. It cranks the engine fine, but it isn't yet street legal so it really doesn't have a lot of time on it.

stillrunners and ekimneirbo like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

IMI brand on my roadster.
    AC/Delco on my 67 Nova.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  10. Paulz

Paulz

11. I haven't used a big GM starter since GM came out with the small ones....from low horsepower small blocks to pretty stout 468 big blocks. 25 years or so ago I bought them as cheap as $35 at the swap meet in Jefferson, WI...I think there was a Delco plant nearby or something. I've never replaced one of them. I had two Trailblazers I drove to 170K+ and never replaced a starter.

olscrounger and ekimneirbo like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use them. The Hitachi style on my GMC’s (14-1 comp) and 10-1 comp). Our 14-1 422 Dart SBC uses a higher dollar Tilton which has never failed.

13. what this guy said :rolleyes:

go to your local reputable starter builder and buy an oem Delco high torque starter
    You can also get the little bracket to stabilize it in the block.

there not cheap, but not expensive either, don’t get heat soaked easily, not all that noisy and last a long time.
    Changing starters is a pain in the ass, everything is a pain in the ass. Do it once , do it right.

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like GV said, don't go cheap or will be going back for another one. I have 3 gear reduction starters currently on my vehicles, they are power master units.

ekimneirbo and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Dang Now I have to send summit a few bucks..,

ekimneirbo likes this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm about to use the OEM Corvette mini-starter with my '90 SBC. Time will tell?
    Starter.jpg

17. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

buick with a 671 on top and still use stock used gm hi-torque from the 70's

ekimneirbo and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Do you have to shim the Mini starters too ?

ekimneirbo likes this.
  19. Budget36

Budget36

Mine came with shims, but both fit spot on without using them

ekimneirbo likes this.
  20. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

I just shimmed mine, made the shim out of .063" aluminum. Mesh was a little tight before, about 1 in 20 turns of the key the drive would not engage the flywheel teeth.

Grant

ekimneirbo likes this.
  21. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Had a brand new one from Tuff Stuff and it started my engine twice and then died. Contacted them but because I had it a year before I used it they would not look at it. Absolute crap.
    Got a Powermaster on my wife's 32 no problems.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had an IMI on my BBC powered Studebaker pickup, a Summit Racing one on my ‘55 F100/302, and the blown 392 in my boat got one from the vendor at the Long Beach swap meet with a custom blank nose. They all worked flawlessly. I don’t like the sound though. All my GM engines have full size stock starters.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ekimneirbo likes this.
  23. When I was bracket racing in the mid nineties, I went from a 10 to 1 383 to a 12.5 to 1 355. At the same time, I convinced myself that I needed a high torque starter. At that time, that meant a Tilton. I never hear about anyone using them. Are they still around?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ekimneirbo likes this.
  24. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Elcohaulic and ekimneirbo like this.
  25. Used a Powermaster as a problem solver in my 32 PU. 63 327 with a 55 bellhousing.The factory starter bolts to the bell.It would tear up drives since you cant shim the drive like a block mounted starter.I installed a block mount Powermaster.It fit with out cutting the 55 bellhousing for clearance.Adjusted the drive gear engagement. No more problems.If your running a points distributor you may need to add a diode in the wire from the starter that provides power so power only flows during cranking.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  26. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3rd vote for RobbMc! I am running their mini starter on a 455 Pontiac since several years and am very happy. Top notch customer service too....

ekimneirbo likes this.
  27. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I second the motion on diode install. Irishsteve is spot on !

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Bought a mini starter from the afco guy at a swap meet at Grayslake Illinois 22 years ago , never has missed a beat , that's 50 thousand mostly short trip miles , I can't imagine how many starts !

Elcohaulic and ekimneirbo like this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11 posts above..

Truckdoctor Andy and ekimneirbo like this.
  30. RmK57

RmK57

I have a PMGR mini starter from DB electrical I got from eBay. That was around 4-5 years ago. It's in a 514 BBF and has been issue free. I also installed a brand new flex plate so that couldn't hurt either.
    I think it was around $60-70 at the time.

ekimneirbo likes this.