Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 3 window project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ironandsteele, Sep 16, 2020.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hi guys,

I haven't been on this site much in the past few years, other than when I need an answer to a question, or to graze the classified section. I figured I should at least try to contribute something, since the HAMB is and has for a long time been such a valuable resource for me.

I bought this 32 3 window on Father's Day last year. It was a basically stock car, in pieces, that had been stored in the rafters of a barn here in Oregon since the 1960's. Everything was there other than the deck lid. I have since sourced a nice Brookville one for now, which I will be punching full of louvers.

I didn't have the nuts to chop this one myself, so my friend (and fellow Estranged Car Club member) Rob chopped the top 4" for me, and laid the pillars back. The body will stay just as it looks, with it's earned patina. Not because I'm a "patina guy", but because I would rather just drive and enjoy this car and not have to worry about it. It will have a nice, tidy chassis that is clean and simple, with some modifications to sit very, very low, but also maintain a nice aggressive hot rod rake. I will be running a '58 283 with four deuces, Muncie and Olds rear end.

My goal with this car is to have a reliable, foolproof hot rod with a nasty look that I can drive anywhere. My short term goal is to drive it to Bonneville.

Anyway, I will update this thread as I move along with the project. I have other projects going, so it may be a year-long saga, but we'll see.

If you have time, there is a story that I posted to my website that gives a more in depth look into how this car came to be mine. If you'd like to read it, it can be found here:

https://ironandsteele.com/blogs/news/better-lucky-than-good

In the next day or so I will add some more photos of the process of how it got to where it is now. For tonight, here is a quick introduction. Thanks for looking, I will update as I make progress.

my321.jpg my322.jpg my323.jpg my324.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

hard to believe it was ever a stock car, looks pretty darn good to me!

loudbang likes this.
  3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Sorry-I clarified the post, but I guess I meant "stock" as in unaltered. It is a very nice body, definitely was never a roundy-round car. :)

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  4. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

nice job on the chop!!! wow

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

… and those grills on the back wall !!! holly shit!!! that's like a wining lottery ticket just hanging there.

loudbang likes this.
  6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to believe someone passed on it too. Congats, stoked for you and sounds like you have a great plan for it!

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very entertaining and well written story...the find of a lifetime.

Now let's talk about that 36 grille fetish...:eek:

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

10. The chop job appears to be very well done, and you retained the top hinge, which is often eliminated.

olscrounger likes this.
  11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Sweet!

loudbang likes this.
  12. It would look better in my garage.....:rolleyes:

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  13. Brian Lundgren

Brian Lundgren

Killer! Read the story about that body a few weeks ago, glad to see it up here on the H.A.M.B.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thank you guys for the positive comments and for taking the time to click the link and read this car’s story.

A few commented on the chop and yes, it is very well done. I can take absolutely no credit for it, that was all done by my buddy Rob who has incredible talent. I’ll post some photos soon.

Thank you again

scotts52, Tim, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Here are some additional photos:

my325.jpg
    Disassembled

my326.jpg
    my327.jpg
    my328.jpg

my3210.jpg
    New wood going in and being altered to fit
    my329.jpg
    doors being fit
    my3211.jpg
    back home..

Of course, that is a very abbreviated run down. But that's where we stand as of now.

16. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Congrats on the find and buy. What a great story.

Looking forward to watching this one come together.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. brady1929

brady1929

18. scotti32

scotti32

Great story, great coupe, will be watching

loudbang likes this.
  19. jaracer

jaracer

Great car, great story!

loudbang likes this.
  20. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

So hard to believe that a guy can still find them 3w's sitting around.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and clem like this.
  21. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Great find. Where can I get one of those t shirts. That expresses my thoughts exactly.

22. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thanks guys

loudbang likes this.
  23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

My website, ironandsteele.com

At the moment, I'm sold out of everything but small and medium. I will have new stock in October though.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  24. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Thanks I will be hitting you up for an XL shirt.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Great inspirational photo's. Isn't it great to have talented friends:). Please keep us posted on your build, I'm sure it's going to turn out killer

loudbang likes this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks fantastic

loudbang likes this.
  27. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Great car and the chop is really done right.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Looks super, the chop is right on the money. Here is mine in 1985 with a 2" chop by Steve Davis. IMG_3631 (2).jpg

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thank you guys for the kind words. I haven't posted progress because I haven't made any. I was distracted by a '33 pickup that was a restoration project that was abandoned as it was being cut and buffed. Long story short, I bought it and will be taking it over the finish line. Stance and wheels and tires need to be addressed, then just wire, plumb and drive it.
    33PICKUP.jpg

Anyway, there was some small movement on the coupe, I picked up my chassis earlier this week. I had a very specific stance in mind for this car, one that involved being low, but also having an aggressive rake. I invited Darryl Schroeder ( Schroeder's Speed and Custom ) over to see my mock up and ask his advice on how to best achieve the stance I wanted. By the end of the conversation, it was determined that sweeping the front frame rails would be needed, among other things. By the time we did all the work to my existing frame, we were better off just starting from scratch, so that's what ended up happening.

The chassis has 2" swept front rails, Model A front cross member, flattened rear crossmember, small C notches for clearance, etc. I will be using a heavy axle with an old 5" drop and likely a reverse eye spring to get the front end down somewhere around 9" or so. I'm not sure yet how far the back will be dropped from stock measurement-wise, but the rear tire will end up somewhere between 3/4" - 1" below the wheel well style line.

32FRAMECUSTOM.jpg

Also, quite a few guys went to my site to read the full story of this car and later messaged me about my "F*CK POLITICS" shirt. They are back in stock on my website, www.ironandsteele.com Thank you for all the inquiries.

Attached Files:

KiWinUS, loudbang and Shadow Creek like this.
  30. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

After giving this some thought, I am willing to take this little 3 window off your hands and relieve you of the burden to further build. We Canadians are very nice as i am sure you have heard so it's the least I can do. :D
    Love what you've done including the drive train choices. Give me a shout and we can arrange bringing this old girl north! :)

loudbang likes this.