Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac/Olds Rearend TECH...post it here...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ruiner, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Just wondering- is there any demand for 29 spline posi carriers?

2. Well, I know of two who are lookin' for 'em.

3. Jason Groves

Jason Groves

Hello all, I have a 1941 Pontiac that I am swapping the third member into from a 1956 Pontiac to get a little better gearing. What is the easiest way to make up for the difference in the Yoke size? The 56 yoke is quite a bit bigger than the 41 and the 41 yoke, if I swap it into the 56, wont quite cover the seal that is there from the 56.
    Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  4. I have 2 wheel adapters/spacers available to convert Oldsmobile 5x5 lug pattern to 5x5.5 rims. They are 1" thick.
    I used them to convert my Oldsmobile rear end to early Ford pattern rims on my 1936 Ford Pickup.

They are excellent condition. If anyone can use them, send me an email: [email protected]

5. junk4cash

junk4cash

Looking for a third member for my 1959 Olds housing. Let me know what you have. Thanx

6. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

You want posi or open? I have a few options available and will be in the Wichita are early next month.

X--GASSER, -Brent- and mad mikey like this.
  7. I'm looking for a 31 spline posi for my 3.42s if you got one?

8. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

I am looking at a 59 Pontiac rear and have 2 questions.It is complet with 2 centers a 3:42 & 4:88 with spool or posi owner not sure what is a fair price? It will need to narrowed 2 in is there enough spline to cut 1 in off each axle or will I need new axles. Thanks

9. stproman

stproman

I hope I am doing this correctly. I have a 32 ford coupe on a '64 Lynnwood Eliminator chassis running a A 15 0 code with a 5:67 posi or spool I have never touched. I am converting this thing to a driveable rod and just bought a C 18 8 complete olds rear looking for a mid 3 gearing to make it more hiway friendly. The stump looked identical to mine under the car so bought it, and I paid 200$ for it complete drum to drum. After lots of learning I now know that my new purchase is the 59 and up shape housing but with an open 3:08 and 29 spline axles. I will sell this for what I have in it, and it is tight and in good shape. I must pull my axle in the coupe to confirm, but according to the date code I still need a 31 spline mid 3:? stump. I will keep the 5:67 in case I want to play serious again. A posi would sure be nice, but a one leg that lets me drive it will suffice. I am in Knoxville Tn. Thank you so much.

10. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

I know this is an old thread, but need a little information. Was fitting a 62 third member with posi into an unknown year axel housing. Bolt pattern is correct but will not let me set the third member flush PA180156.JPG PA180157.JPG PA180158.JPG to the housing. Earlier in this thread it was posted a 58 housing needed some modification to fit the later year third member. Does any one know exactly what need to be done? Seems the bearing caps hit locating flats in the rear of the housing. I don't think the third member needs any support back there. Any help will be appreciated.

11. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure what the problem is, but the ring gear extends well beyond the bearing caps. Measure the depth of the bearing cap from the gasket surface ,then measure from the face of the housing to the back of the axle tube. These are pictures of the 57 housing I have in my 57 Corvette. Hope this helps. 2017-01-13 15.14.37.jpg 2017-01-13 15.14.28.jpg 20180427_121032.jpg

Bowtie Coupe, Elcohaulic and -Brent- like this.
  12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Yup, need to grind a bit off the cap.
    Also may need a bit off at the housing flange

mario711, Bowtie Coupe and Baron like this.
  13. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've never shared in this thread because I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of the posters, here. But, I have used a lot of the info learned in this thread (and from some of the posters, personally) to get the axle for my coupe built.

Here's the Pontiac I got the rear from. Foolishly, I didn't take the 389.

IMG_20170428_114615_885.jpg

My pal, Brian, narrowed the rear and put on the new billet ends from Fabcraft. Looking back, I should have done the billet Ford ends. You can find them with big bearings AND you'd have the benefit of running ford brakes, which are a lot less expensive and parts are readily available.

Pontiac Rear Being Narrowed.jpg

Here it is narrowed. I removed the center link mount.

Narrowed Pontiac Rear Finished.jpg

This tool was very helpful in figuring my axle lengths.

Fabcraft Pontiac Olds Axle Measuring Template.jpg

You hook the end of the tape and then measure out. I used a flat piece of steel to find the lengths.

Measuring for Axles.jpg

Here it is sitting in the back of my car. Right now, the stock 3rd is in it. I have a 3rd loaded with 3.64s and a posi to go in as I finish up.

Narrowed 59 Pontiac Rear in Model A Coupe.jpg

I found and swapped the 1959 backing plates for 1962s (I think?) because they had self-adjusters. I wanted to have all the mid-60s technology! Haha.

I could've built an early Bronco 9" for less (as I've been told many times) but this rear is a BEAST. My friend, Carl, who set up my 3rd. Is very familiar with Dana 60 3rds, as he sets up a lot for the off-roaders, out here. He said, with the exception of the pinion shaft size (which was slightly larger), the 9.3 is beefier. He was impressed.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe, 4ever18, Baron and 4 others like this.
  14. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Baron, thanks for the input but that was my first measurement. Trying to find shinny spots where the caps or what ever is hold up the setting of third member is. It's a snug fit and giggling it to make shinny spots ain't easy. The hardest part is picking up that OLDS third member, it ain't no 9 inch......LOL Will post at the end of this day, because IT"S GOING IN whither it likes it or not......More LOL

Bowtie Coupe, Baron and -Brent- like this.
  15. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Paul, grinding more this morning. Will let everyone know what my results are....Thanks for the input.

Bowtie Coupe and Baron like this.
  16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

You can see here where I ground the caps in my spare carrier.
    This one I cut for use in housing straightening.
    This may be more than you need to grind yours, I wouldn't take any more off than absolutely necessary.

PXL_20201019_180026216.jpg

Bowtie Coupe, Baron and -Brent- like this.
  17. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Thanks Paul, grinding those four little tabs about .120 cleared the third member. But your way will do the trick also...Thanks to all these great Hamb boarder.....

Bowtie Coupe, Baron and Paul like this.
  18. Parkman

Parkman
    from Kentucky

Just a thought on the 9.3 housing. I marked the inside of housing with layout ink and then ground where the caps hit the housing. you can use a majic marker to do also. Repeat until third member clears. Who makes the centerline guage for the 9.3 shown in previous post? I just built a 57 olds housing for 55 chevy using 60 pontiac brakes because i liked the offset of the brakes inward. Use pontiac ends or cut the flat on olds ends will give more brake options. Willwood and Scarebird offer disc brakes setups for those rearends. I wanted drums. Ford ends gives more brake options "but" axles must be ordered for the ford offset. Not the same as pontiac olds. Hope this may help someone on 9.3 build.

Bowtie Coupe, 4ever18, Baron and 2 others like this.
  19. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Parkman, that gauge is from Fabcraft. You may be able to rent it from them.