Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got the roof stripped today. Have to work tomorrow morning ,but tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be beautiful.
    All I need to do is a little sanding and some prep and tape it off and spray some epoxy primer on the roof. Then I can work my way down from there.

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Anybody close have any use for a 7500 watt generator. It was used as a back up when we lived in Florida during the hurricane season. It is too big and heavy to lug around when we go to the races.
    We need a smaller unit something like a 2000 watt unit.
    Mine is a Harbor Freight, but it is a copy of a Honda. It powered 2 houses during one hurricane. Our house and our neighbors house for 3 days with no problems. It is freshly serviced and ready to go.
    I would trade even for a smaller unit in good shape. Will post a picture tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    chryslerfan55, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MHO. Buy either a Honda or Yamaha 2000 Inverter not a knock off. In the long run you'll be glad you did. And with an inverter you get clean power in case you need to run a computer or other electronic equipment.

loudbang likes this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finally finished stripping the roof of the car today. It ended up having 3 bad paint jobs over the original one. Someone had sprayed spray bomb paint into some rust pitted spots. I had to use my wire knot brush on my grinder to get that out. Real pain in the ass this afternoon.
    Will try and tape it of and shoot it tomorrow before I go to work.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got the primer on the roof. It turned out ok and now I have another color on the car to make it even uglier. It has rained here since Friday night so maybe I can get a photo or 2 tomorrow afternoon.
    Started working on my ram air system. Went to Lowes and got some 3 inch bathroom fan ducting hose and went to the grocery store and got 4 cans of fruit cocktail. the cans are a perfect 3 inches in diameter.
    They fit perfectly inside of the holes in the headlight buckets that I drilled with my hole saw.
    Besides that I like the Very Cherry fruit cocktail. Now I need to build an air box to go on the carb.
    Pre-entered for the race in Aiken S.C. I haven't been there since I raced in the Hot Rod class at an IHRA points meet almost 20 years ago.

brEad, dirty old man, enloe and 11 others like this.
  6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go get 'em Mike!

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Find an air breather base that has that nice radius, but I'm sure you know all about that. ;)

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  8. Best of Luck, Mike. I wish I could be there, I’ll have to catch it on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have an old 14 inch air cleaner top and am making a base . then rolling the sides from sheetmetal.
    Welding 2 of the cans into the sides and sliding the hoses over the cans. All of it low tech and low cost.
    Thanks for all of the support. We are going to try and sneak up on some folks this weekend if the car works right and if I can knock some of the rust off the driver.

10. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Will you please post some pictures of the process while building your air intake system? If ya have the time that is. I know how it goes when ya get in the “zone” while working on my junk. Great build!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I will shoot some pictures tomorrow. While I am building the parts.

Thor1, catdad49, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  12. 6sally6

6sally6

Watching close Mike!!
    Looks like I'm gonna miss the Jackson Drag Strip event:(.
    TRYING to catch the Shady Side event a couple weeks later.
    This weekend weather looks GREAT though. Cool DRY perfect for cars AND spectators.
    Any chance of a video of the Wagon before your trip?
    Love to hear that killer SBF!! (2 stroke power band!!...Luv it) Sorta like a light switch,huh?!
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

6sally6 you will have to wait for the videos from the track. I worked all day getting the ram air pieces made. All I have to do is install the flex tubing tomorrow and cut the stud to hold it in place.
    Had to make a redesign mid way through after my first design wouldn't clear the hood. Maybe after I get a T-Bolt hood scoop I can use it but for now I have parts off an old clothes dryer 2 fruit cocktail cans and a base off an old 10 inch chrome air filter housing. Really high tech stuff. I doubt if you will find it in the Summit catalog, but it should work. We will find out this weekend.
    Here are some pictures of my failed first try and then my Rube Goldberg design that I am going to try. The picture of the fenderwell is where the hose will come through from the upper headlight opening. I made some tapered cones that welded into the cans I am using in the fenders. It will all come together tomorrow morning before I go to work. I am also modifying my trailer to better carry the Comet. It worked great for my Morris ,but that was a lot shorter. Lots of work and not much time to get it done.
    DSCF3783.JPG DSCF3789.JPG DSCF3785.JPG

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got the hoses installed, but my camera had dead batteries and I had to go to work. I will see about tomorrow afternoon.
    Had to hustle and finish welding on my trailer this morning. While my wife cleaned the windows on the car and cleaned all of the residue off the trim from tape and priming.
    We will be loaded up by tomorrow night. Ready to head for S.C.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

I wish you all the best .... SEGA Rules

17. jim snow

jim snow

Best of luck man. Knock em dead. Snowman

Thor1, Truckdoctor Andy and loudbang like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Great news, we need more FORD powered cars. :)

sidevalve8ba, enloe, Randall and 2 others like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Loaded up and ready to pull out tomorrow morning. Looking to hook up with Fiddle Picker outside of Atlanta and convoy over.

enloe, loudbang, Gammz and 8 others like this.
  20. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Good luck sir!

enloe, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Safe travels.

enloe, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  22. Safe Travels and Good Luck...make us Ford guys proud

enloe, Randall, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Didnt see Mike make a run on the feed - anyone know what happened?

loudbang likes this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, the HAMB notification feature dropped out on me again about mid week, so I just found the thread again.
    Anxiously waiting for word on how things went @ Aiken for all concerned.

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well I am home and you had to get there early to see me break the rear end in the first qualifying pass.
    I didn't really break the rear end as much as ripped it off the leaf springs. I dropped the clutch at 5 grand and it felt really good for about a second and then I heard the driveshaft hit the floor.
    I figured it was a u joint failure and then they told me the pinion was pointing straight up.
    The leaf spring saddles collapsed and it allowed the whole housing to turn in the u bolts.
    I will go down to Hudlow axle in the morning and pick up a u joint and some heavier duty spring saddles. It also bent the 3/8 steel plate that my pinion snubber was made from so that needs to be rebuilt and braced up better.
    At least it won't be an expensive repair and we will be ready for the next race at Shadyside. The good news is the motor sounded really strong and put down some serious torque to bend or break those types of parts. I will post some pictures in the next few days of the damage and the repairs.
    I could go the easy route and just replace the saddles and bolt on some slapper bars and then add another 100 lbs to the car as required by the rules. Not being one who follows the easy road I am going to make my suspension work or at least give it a fighting chance before I switch to a set of Crites lift bars that I have.
    I weighed the car on the SEGA scales and came up 60 lbs light. So I had 30 with me and borrowed 15 from Fiddle Picker and Mark Hackett the other Comet entry loaned me 18 lbs to make weight.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A for effort. Persevere!

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry it wasn't a good outing, you'll get it.

enloe, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well crap man that stinks but I know exactly how you feel though I didn’t tear the saddles up I blew the center section up then replaced that then tore the driveshaft out of it and then fixed that then tore the yoke off of it so I have learned the hard way that the best parts are almost good enough so before you get back out there double check all the rear end parts and driveline for straightness and make sure your axles are not twisted I’m sure you will but just trying to save you the hassle I’ve had oh and 1350 joint with ujoint cap girdles would definitely be a good thing to do if you haven’t already Keep up the good work your car is awesome and though I don’t post much I’ve been following along the whole way

Chrome don’t get ya home

29. glrbird

glrbird

Just wondered if you welded a strap from the front of the pad over the axle tube to the rear of the pad? Weld it to the axle tube also. It stops the pad from bending