Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Started spec'ing out parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

We've gotten over it. I enjoy the build, so driving it now is just the topping. She's into more modern cars, so this is out of her wheelhouse a bit. We're looking at her dream car since she was 10 tomorrow.......a C3 corvette. I'll make it what she wants, doesn't mean it's MY car and doesn't mean the '32 won't be finished. If my garage was built none of this would even be an issue.....

milwscruffy likes this.
  2. Still haven't bobbed the fenders.

Sell the '32 ... rent out the wife :eek:, and paint that sum' b#tch. Paint it black. Save some money, and paint it yourself ... even. The firewall came out great !! Pretty sure the rest of it will, too. You do great work.

My clicky finger hurts ... I've ingested this whole thread, in one seating. Beer me ... I could very well die. Poor little clicky finger.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Clicky-digit is an occupational hazard ya know. Thanks for the good words. With considering letting this go I'm thinking about the future. The '32 is my retirement...... load it up and hit LVMS, Phoenix and Tucson to keep me busy. The '31 would be an occasional driver when AZ heat allows.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Long winded update as I have been trying to drive the '31 more. There are little things that have made driving less than enjoyable. Since "finishing" it, the sum of all little annoyances has made driving it regularly a chore not a pleasure that begs to put more miles on it. Things I should have addressed long ago like the steering column making a grinding sound when turning and not having a firm feel. Going over bumps has been a major pucker moment since I never fine tuned the rear spring rate and it's just too stiff. A knocking noise when turning the steering wheel back and forth.
    The majority of all these maladies is just me being lazy/unmotivated to address them and not a one is anything major or unsafe.
    First "fix" was the steering column. Since the DD shaft I used on the build had started to rust after being stored outside during the summer, I decided to replace it with SS so I don't go through that again. While I was at it, the steering wheel itself was pulled and the column bearings lubricated. The grinding sound was the horn contact so a little dielectric grease before reassembly and it's fixed. Tighten down the wheel again and voila it's smooth and firm.
    The knocking noise is related to using a Jeep tie rod with the Unisteer. The tie rod in the center of the drag link rocks as the wheel is turned side to side. I adjusted the outer tie rods to prevent this but temporarily. I'm waiting on something called "The Cure!" that Jeep guys use which is a nylon cup that replaces the center tie rod boot and prevents it from rocking. Easy fix I should have done long ago.
    Last major issue is the ride. When I assembled the rear I got 225# springs for the coilovers. Choosing the right rate is tough since each car is different because of weight, degree the shock is laid over, etc. I ordered a pair of 175# springs to bring the rear down about an inch and smooth out compression a bit. We'll see if I guessed right this weekend when they get here.
    Last was taking the wife's chrome spoke Cragars off and putting the Sprints back on. Knocked a little bit of the "street rod" off it and put a little hot rod back on. There's other little stuff I'll be doing, but these address the majority of what keeps it in the garage. I'm looking forward to actually driving it and may shock the office by bringing it in. They probably think I just grab car pictures off Google for screen savers and don't really build them.......

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Dragged this back from the grave rather than confusing the '32 build thread. The car isn't done like any of them really are. Years ago I bought the stainless tube to make a rear bumper/push bar-ish looking thing that was stuck in my mind. Problem was, I had no way to weld up what I wanted to make so it just stayed nice and safe in the cardboard shipping tube it came in.
    Well, flash forward to this week where I FINALLY found an Argon bottle for the tig I bought, so it's back on. Bent up some 1/8" stainless sheet for the mounting brackets today and am pretty pleased with how it'll look. Minor tweaking to maybe pull it in a bit tighter and narrow it, but like how the brackets are somewhat hidden and the bar "floats".
    Going to do a lot of practicing on scrap SS before I attack the welding. Can't afford to F this SS tube up right now. bump1.jpg bump2.jpg bump3.jpg

loudbang and Shadow Creek like this.