Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New guy confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zinky, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zinky

zinky

OK I am new here and I have looked but cant seem to find the answers, so I will just ask here.
    1) what is "period correct" here?
    2) Are trucks not allowed? Or must they be 2wd? I posted a question about a certain type of old truck ( 1958 to be exact) with quadraped abilities and it was deleted because of aforementioned abilities. But I have seen the very same vehicle in other posts here, so I am confused. More than normal.
    Zinky

chryslerfan55 and mitch 36 like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The Guide line here is 1965 and earlier. there are plenty of tucks here but not really any 4wd ones. This site is dedicated to Hot rods and trucks. Sports cars and imports are not really allowed. Technologies that are newer than 1965 are rot allowed. No LS swaps and no IFC or disc brakes are pretty good guidelines.

4. If with the analogy of a four footed animal is referring to a 4x4 I would think it is not quite up to the traditional hot rod definition. HRP

ratrodrodder and 48fordnut like this.

5. Can a 4 wheel drive vehicle really be considered a hot rod? Personally, I think not..

6. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Millers were 4wd

tractorguy and flatheadpete like this.
  7. I believe you can discuss a period 4wd in the antiquated section.

8. Yes you can

Still not a traditional hot rod, but cool nonetheless

ratrodrodder and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think the boss said something like "we ain't for everyone"!

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Just sit & read for a few weeks .. it'll come to you.

j hansen, VANDENPLAS and 56don like this.
  11. I always go with the...if you have to ask rule. As in...if you have to ask if it's okay....it's probably not. Stick around for a bit. You'll pick it up. And yes. The antiqued forum is your best bet for a 4x4....

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The other board I spend a lot of time on http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php has a 47/59 section that is very active and has several guys with 4x4 Task force trucks. Mix and match bunch of trucks from stone stock and restored to radical builds.

As mentioned above a 4x4 truck is pretty well verboten here. Lowered 2 wheel drive with 15 inch wheels and white walls = cool.

302GMC and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. KenC

KenC

Probably will depend on the character of said truck. 4WD lifted with huge offroad tires, probably spattered with mud, not a good fit. 4WD but stock height, street tires, nice paint would be OK. JMNSHO

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. 1ton

1ton

4WD maybe but not WD40

MO54Frank likes this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

[​IMG]

Exceptions to every rule.

16. 5window

5window

WD40 dates from 1953 and is, by definition, traditional.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may be a slippery slope but KY Jelly was invented the year after Henry rolled his first car off the assembly line (coincidence?) but it is hard to considered it traditional. :cool:

18. @zinky , zinky ZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNKKKKYYYYYY !!!!!

Guess y’all scared him away :D

King ford and warhorseracing like this.
  19. It is almost Halloween o_O Bunch of big bullies

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Depends, what is your old use of it, and has it become a tradition? Wait. Keep that to yourself;)

21. Micky Thompson, Challenger I, 1959. 4 engines, 4 wheel drive.
    55AFB98B-E425-4025-A337-FDCE6C2A66EE.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

It looks like anything and everything is allowed now. Theres threads about restoration of bone stock cars and International trucks that were never ever used for traditional hotrods.
    Heres a thread about a car that does not fit on a traditional hotrod forum but the moderators allowed it. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/it’s-alive-a-1964-chrysler-tale.1194894/

chryslerfan55 and X38 like this.
  23. grumpy65

grumpy65

The ability to discern what you want to read and participate in is a fine skill to have. Surely one click of the mouse to 'make the nasty thread go away' is by far quicker than proceeding to type in a whinge. :D:D:D

Tman, Sandgroper, wvenfield and 2 others like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

But it is soooo satisfying to whinge.......for some!

25. grumpy65

grumpy65

I see the H.A.M.B. as akin to a smorgasbord. Lots of diverse and wonderful info, opinions and ideas. Not all are to my liking, but I sure enjoy picking out the stuff that floats my boat.

26. I get tired of these threads.
    Just read the rules.
    If your comprehension is so poor you can't understand them...

27. 5window

5window

Since the HAMB offers a wide variety and you don't like these threads, then you should ignore them, rather than contribute to them. If the rules were 100% enforced, there would be no confusion (and far fewer threads), but they are not. Even after 15 years, I am sometimes surprised. Since one doesn't have to read threads you are not interested in, the only dumb questions are ones where you don't understand and don't ask.

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

To confuse you more. Scan0289.jpg Scan0290.jpg Some of us on here like trucks with skirts.

29. Yes there are plenty of Hot Rod 4X4's but even the Vintage ones aren't for this Board. Plenty of other 4X4 sights out there. That's my version of the Rules and I'm good with that.

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There were hot rod and custom pickup trucks in the era. Some were shop trucks and push trucks for racers. Then there was a short lived fad of custom pickups 1955 - 56. That was when Ford, Chev and Plymouth first offered OHV V8s and all the hot rod kids wanted one. But a new Bel Air hardtop cost $2500 with all the cool options, even a cheap 2 door post was $1800 or more. But you could buy a new Ford or Chev pickup with V8 and stick shift for $1400. There were guys who bought pickup trucks because it was the cheapest way to get a new OHV V8 vehicle, then went on to customize them little by little. Save from a couple of pay checks and get some Lancer hub caps, a few more weeks and you could have some flames or scallops, then a dropped front axle, tonneau cover for the bed, and so on.
    By 1957 or 58 if you could not afford a new Chevy V8 there were lots of 2 or 3 year old ones on used car lots for bargain prices and the pickup fad faded away.
    Then there was the Rod & Custom Dream Truck, Alexander Brothers' Grasshopper and Deora and Barris's Ala Kart. Were there other full custom pickup trucks?
    Custom and hot rod pickups would make an interesting thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.