Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old carb cleaner from yrs ago ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Oct 18, 2020.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

I use our websight for tech / learning only .Usually my tech questions get moved to another category ??
    well here goes
    Question ! Yes I know much of this can no longer can be sold...
    I,m sure you old timers remember the old carb cleaner that were in a gal. can & was provided with a basket . You put your carb disassembled in the basket and put the whole thing in the cleaner. in a couple days you came back & pulled the carb out & it ( sparkled.) It was extremely clean including all the internal orvises & crevices
    Yes, I know there are a lot of carb sprays out there but is there anything similar today or a product that is as good as what we had years ago ? gene in Mn

VANDENPLAS and dana barlow like this.
  2. Wrench97

Wrench97

I've used the Napa 6204(?) it's ok but not the same as the stuff from the 70's.

VANDENPLAS and dana barlow like this.
  3. Sadly, nothing is the same as the stuff from the 70's.:(

4. Budget36

Budget36

I've used Berryman's recently, has a basket as well. After 2 days soaking, blew out all the passages, was like new. Put all the used stuff back on the can. About 5 or 6 months later soaked the tops of pistons and ring lands with it, all carbon just wiped off.

Also, I bought the Berryman's because the store didn't have lacquer thinner, which I used to use.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The old style Gunk was really good stuff, for what you can buy these days I think Berryman's is the way to go.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That old carb cleaner was hot, and worked fantastic! Nowadays I've gone to brake cleaner to wash carbs, as it seems to do better than any of the crap carb cleaners. I buy it in gallon jugs for a bit over $20, and the aerosol cans by the case. I soak, or sometimes spray with the nozzles to pressure clean orifices.

Dyce, egads and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I use the Berryman chem-dip in a 5 gal bucket. 20 to 25 minutes agitate a time or two, flip the parts then another 20 to 25 minutes with the agitate then rinse it off with water and blow out passages.

Truckdoctor Andy and 302GMC like this.
  8. For what it's worth, I've heard soaking for a few days in simple green does a pretty good job. I know I know it's hard to believe - has anyone on here tried it??

Sent from my SM-G981U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MAD MIKE likes this.
  9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I went to an Ultrasonic cleaner using a cleaner product from a diesel injector company.

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Crock Pot for me with toilet bowl cleaner . It really gets the shit out ! Carbon Tet was the best , I laid a good Buddy to rest from playing with that stuff for many many years . All good things have to come to an end , same as your cleaners we all knew from the past .

Truckdoctor Andy and Dyce like this.
  12. J_J2

J_J2

My dad had a gal. can of McKays carb cleaner for years. I swear that was the best stuff I’ve ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. J_J2

J_J2

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ultrasonic cleaner here. I have on big enough to take a whole assembled carburetor.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I left a set of GMC 6 rocker arms and stands in McKay over the winter once in the 70’s and all the bearing material was gone.

16. gene-koning

gene-koning

That old stuff sure worked good, but I must say, there are several reasons why you can't buy it anymore. It cleaned the carbs great, but it didn't treat your body so good. A clean carb is not worth poisoning yourself over. Gene

17. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Chem Dip works pretty good. At least it's the best I found.

18. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I used it and then I put the parts in a bucket of water with Dawn, I dropped my water heater in the bucket and a air hose regulated to just to just a few psi. In about an hour they were nice and clean.

19. I've done 2 carbs in an old crock pot. First time with Dawn dish soap and water, second with antifreeze. After soaking on high for two days, they both came out very clean. Maybe the antifreeze worked better, hard to say. I've used it with Simple Green to clean steel/ metal parts with great results. $7 pot from the thrift store saved the day. Mitch

j-jock likes this.
  20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've read here on HAMB that Pine-Sol household cleaner used full strength will do the job if you give it about 24 hrs.

jimmy six and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, lost my Grandfather to that.

He went out hard.

Some things are best left to history.

Truckdoctor Andy and Dyce like this.
  22. X2 on the Berryman's with the basket. Have two gallons and sometimes for the big carbs I put both of them in another container. The stuff from back then was hard on your hands if you splashed some on them !

23. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

I've used the commercial grade SG on heavy junk. It's a darker green than the normal SG from the store.
    Works really well on removing gunk from delicate stuff.
    I'm not a fan of Super Clean/Purple power or purple cleaners. They are caustic on lighter metals, and don't leave it too long on pot metals, it will find the weaker metals and will begin to attack the weaker metals leaving you with pot holes.

Berrymans basketed containers are pretty good. Definitely need the larger 5 Gallon can if you want to clean a spread bore though, paint can is only good for bits of 4V Holleys or maybe 4Jets.

24. Garpo

Garpo

Definitely a fan for Simple green. Soak. Scrub with tooth brush. Blow jets out with brake cleaner.
    Dirt gone.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up a fresh gallon can with the basket the last time I did a carb as my old can had dried out. I found a plastic container at Dollar tree next door to O'Reilly's that the body of a QJet would just fit in and be covered up with cleaner. Soak one big piece at a time and pour the cleaner back in the can when done.
    When a buddy of mine had his shop I would just take my carb apart and take it down to him and stick the parts in the basket for his 5 gallon carb cleaner bucket and he would pull it out and rinse it off and I usually paid him about 5 bucks for the privilege.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

While there may be some very effective chemicals out there, most are more or less hazardous, some hard or impossible to get hold of today. An ultrasonic cleaner is on my wish list instead.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. carbking

carbking

One issue not often mentioned when speaking of the "old" carburetor cleaners, is that not only did they remove the dirt, grease, carbon, etc.; but on zinc alloy carburetor bodies, they also removed the chromate protection layer. This allowed water contamination (ethanol fuel, various alcohol-based fuel-drying compounds, etc.) to have a serious effect on the bottom of the carburetor bowls, eventually resulting in destroyed bowls. They also were not overly friendly to those using them.

While I no longer have time to rebuilt carbs (kit business is booming), one of the best investments we ever made in the shop was an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning carbs. Like Gimpy, I purchased one large enough to clean an entire 4150, AFB, or TQ, or Q-Jet before disassembly.

The ultra-exotic cleaner I used................Dawn dishwater soap!

Ultrasonic cleaners are MUCH less expensive than they were when I bought ours, but for the folks only doing one or two carbs, a "poor man's" cleaner may be made by using an empty Folger's 3 pound coffee can. One has to disassemble the carburetor first, because the entire carb won't fit. Place the parts to be cleaned in the can with water and soap, and boil. The roiling action of the boil will flake off the dirt, grease, and looser pieces of carbon. Not as good as the ultrasonic (but WAY cheaper). It may be necessary to use automatic choke cleaner on the carbon, then repeat the boil.

This process will NOT hurt the carburetor finish, period.

Jon

28. I remember that stuff, my dad used it in a larger parts cleaner when I was little. made my hands tingle to my elbows. Good stuff but probably caused me to have dain bramage. o_O

What I have started using is a 40/60 mix (more or less) of a some stuff called Sea Foam and no led gas. It will clean a carb to the max.

VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  29. 4ty

4ty

Back around 1962 I had a can of it with the basket, went in the service, came home a couple of years later and the cellar stunk to high hell. Hole developed in the container and the fluid had leaked out. Mom not happy. Powerful stuff back then.
    Paul in CT

30. KenC

KenC

Similar experience here, had a gallon on the shelf that was rarely used. Grabbed onto the bail one day, picked it up and the bottom fell out! What a mess!