Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods License plate Flipper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Oct 17, 2020.

1. sdluck

sdluck

Some years ago they made a vacuum flipper kit for the rear license plate,I am looking for one. Search showed only electric which is fine but I was looking for a vacuum on .My license plate hides my Quick
    change . This is on a Model A Thank you

2. Budget36

Budget36

I think you could whip one up? Would be easier with electric solenoid tho

3. sdluck

sdluck

Do you have any Ideas?

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Dan Fink Metalworks. He makes the vacuum operated unit.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Heck, thinking further, an inexpensive linear motor would be slick as well

jimmy six likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

Okay. Sd. Pivot the plate

linear motor to one side of it

rod from the motor pushes the plate up. Or, if you built it in a fashion that the rod would pull the plate in. Never see the rod that way

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Dan uses a couple of vacuum choke actuators, a plastic tank, some tubing, and a swinging Stainless steel hinged plate. So,.....you can do this if you want.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. sdluck

sdluck

Thanks guys

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Move the plate.

mgtstumpy, chop job, 5window and 3 others like this.
  10. If you're trying to build your own, look for a heat riser pull-off(GM), or headlight door actuator. Not common, but I found some at swap meets.

11. sdluck

sdluck

Thank you all for your suggestion.

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Don't think I would want run vacuum all the way back to the rear of a vehicle. The electric ones are kinda pricey. How about one of those controls like they use for a lawn mower throttle. Really "old school" technology.;)

13. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Actually depends on how and where you run the rubber line. I installed one on my avatar in 1989. Still works like the day I installed it. There a lot of ways to make OP's idea work, and a lot of hurdles to consider along the way.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  14. Spring loaded door hinge. Might require you to bend down a little to operate...

Muttley likes this.
  15. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Did you ever think of just moving the plate?

16. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I picked up a motor for a quarter glass on a mini van. I'm going to adapt the arm and s OIP.jpg ee if it has enough travel on it.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A simple electric door lock solenoid can easily be reworked to work for a license plate flipper. Simply hinge the plate bracket at a point partway down each side, and attach an operating rod under the car to pull the plate up and down with the solenoid.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can see Vacuum as being nifty if the vacuum pull brings the plate down in sight and no vacuum lets a light spring pull it up out of the way. Plenty of heater and AC vacuum actuators kicking around that would be plenty strong.
    Just like any longer vacuum line you could use steel tubing for the majority of it and rubber at the ends.

olscrounger, Tman and Stu D Baker like this.
  19. That will not help if your using it for the red light cameras.;)

20. GTS225

GTS225

How about a cruise control bellow from a 70's vintage car? Engineered to hold against throttle return spring pressure, and is linear in design.

Just my pie hole making noise......Roger

VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  21. 5window

5window

You could use a fuel door turned 90 degrees

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of those should be easy to find And as he said strong enough.

The problem with a hand flipped plate is that when you go to leave an event you forget to flip it. Vacuum operated means that when the engine is running the plate shows and when the engine is off the plate flips up. No remembering to flip the plate or flip a switch.

There also a number of hidden license plate holders both manual and automatic if you want to pay the bux Electric that speedway sells https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Hid...ds=Hidden+License+Plate&qid=1603127096&sr=8-8

Hand pull out for Corvette https://www.amazon.com/Altec-Produc...ds=Hidden+License+Plate&qid=1603127096&sr=8-2

Stu D Baker likes this.
  23. Mimilan

Mimilan

Or even easier to find!
    A vacuum blend door actuator [from a heater]
    upload_2020-10-20_9-50-44.png

The great thing about vacuum is....... When you're "flat to the boards" when street racing there is no vacuum, so your plates automatically flip up :D

24. If their memory's that bad, how do they remember where they parked their car when it's time to leave?

Tman likes this.
  25. Keep forgetting about those modern things, I was looking for vacuum cans, when most heat systems were still cable!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  26. RMONTY

RMONTY

Easy now, none of us are getting younger! :eek:

27. [​IMG]
    Please excuse the foreign car, this is the first thing that came to mind. Driven by some dude named Jim or something..

28. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

How about the 4x4 actuator for an S10? They a strong enough to engage the front axle. And have a cable, so you could mount it anywhere and run the cable to the licence plate.

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 80s, I built a retractable license plate and tailight unit for my '40 pickup...was going for the "drag truck" look. I used a GM power window motor and switch so I could raise it up AND down. Mounted a 4" arm on the motor and ran a cable to the taillight unit. Mounted the whole taillight unit on a pair of spring-loaded screen door hinges so there would be constant tension on the unit and it wouldn't flop around when lowered. 37d.jpg

wraymen and chevy57dude like this.