Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trucks - thinking outside the box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 24, 2020.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess you could consider this one a little unusual too. Built this for the wife with EVERY conceivable accessory and chrome piece I could find (guuk wagon). pan2.jpg pan3.jpg

harpo1313, AVater, alfin32 and 9 others like this.
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

AVater, 40FORDPU, okiedokie and 6 others like this.
  3. 4speed411

4speed411

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built this '46 back in the 80s. Tried to hide the "homely" with flames...it almost worked;) 46frxxx.jpg 46sd.jpg

5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

<<<< My shop truck avatar 51 Cosmo built by Charlie Hall and Son Tucson Arizona late 50s Still in service.

AVater and rod1 like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-31_3-43-28.png 1959

Hello,

Not only were there hot rods and custom cars, but custom trucks were also competing during the class elimination races in their own classes. This Ford F100 truck looks as if he pulled right off of the local streets and went right to the starting line in 1959. The cool side pickup bed exhaust pipes gave it its own character as a mild custom.

Most of the drag race cars that were not street legal had the 55-58 Ford pickup trucks as push/tow trucks.
    upload_2021-3-31_3-44-36.png 1959 K.S. Pittman light blue push/tow truck
    1959 Lions Dragstrip

Don Hampton Kenny Lindley “Here’s coming at you…”
    upload_2021-3-31_3-45-39.png

My brother and I did want a truck of sorts for hauling all of the tools and tires back and forth to Lions Dragstrip weekly. We liked the 56 Ford models, but really wanted a 4 speed 335 hp 348 motor in a 1959 El Camino. That would have been the top of the line for our needs. A fast dual purpose truck for hauling parts or just plain cruising around. But, we made the 58 Impala do triple duty as a racer, parts hauler and when we built the 1940 Willys Coupe for the gas coupe class, the Impala became the tow car.

Others we saw were competitors.
    upload_2021-3-31_3-49-13.png upload_2021-3-31_3-47-49.png

Charlie Etienne, “The Painter’s” yellow Ford pickup truck, with a blown Hemi motor inside...
    upload_2021-3-31_3-47-36.png

A very fast and competitive 1959 black El Camino : 335 HP, 4 Speed, Positraction, etc.
    upload_2021-3-31_3-50-21.png
    El Camino Bob Goggle film clip

Jnaki

Finally, one truck that surprised everyone: The Baker Automotive brown 1959 El Camino with handicapped controls for the driver, and a supercharged Cadillac motor in place of the 348.
    upload_2021-3-31_3-52-21.png
    This 59 El Camino was very impressive to say the least...

A supercharged, Cad powered El Camino

upload_2021-3-31_3-54-37.png

Trucks, not just for gardeners, garage shops or delivery people. They were everyday drivers for a lot of people, that started the trend of the present day huge, factory modified, pick up trucks we see on the road and in our rear view mirrors.

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

My Buddy's killer 40 with a 38 front end melded onto it.
    44.JPG 444.JPG 4444.JPG

8. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daily driver. Certainly not as nice as the ones posted here but it works for me. Nothing really unique about it other than the Studebaker bed. IMG_3009.JPG IMG_3301.JPG

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-15_4-10-39.png
    Hello,

For the last couple of months of running errands in and around our area, my wife keeps saying each time, that a cool old truck is sitting by the side of the road. To her, it was a rusty truck with nice wheels and tires. That is what stood out. The area where we saw the truck is on a curve and uphill/downhill, so stopping for a quick photo or two was not in the cards.

One day last week, there were no cars coming or going, so stopping in the middle of our lane, I took several shots with my digital camera. The first thing my wife noticed when we stopped was the sign on the side of the driver’s door. The main title was blurry by old age, but the noticeable item on the door was BEND, ORE.
    upload_2021-4-15_4-12-15.png

Jnaki

We have a few friends that have houses in Bend, OR. They spend the time in the summer there, while the winters are spent in So Cal. On our second tour of the Pacific Northwest, we took a different route home from the Portland area. We had already gone up the coast from So Cal, down I-5 from Portland and now we decided to go inland for a different route home. Our destination was the small town of Klamath Falls, OR. So, we did drive through the inland route of Gresham to Bend, to Klamath Falls. It certainly was a different route than the coast.

upload_2021-4-15_4-29-29.png
    So, either the current owner is a transplant from Bend, OR, now living in So Cal. Or, he bought the cool truck from someone in Bend, OR.

Any PNW or Oregon folks know anything about the history of the truck or perhaps the business of the former owner? Something about “Sea Stacks?”

The odd thing was that I am reading a mystery novel series about several cases located in Bend, Oregon. So, not only was a memory of the inland road trip back then, but with the current mystery novel series based in Bend and the surrounding areas, it hit “home” for me. The city and local area is bordered by a couple of national forests on one side and the drier mountain plains on the other, with a cool river running down through the town. What is not to like?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    AVater, alfin32, mitch 36 and 2 others like this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's too funny. My (bastardized) '39 pickup used the Ford bed, but '39 Studebaker pu rear fenders.

Attached Files:

12. cfmvw

cfmvw

I wrote a story outline about a couple of kids who built what little was left of a 1944 Dodge truck into a fenderless hotrod. It has two grille upper sections bolted together to make one grille, then they moved the cab and hood rearward so the grille was behind the leading edge of the front wheels similar to a '32 Ford. There were a few other mods, such as fixing the rusty rocker panels by cutting the rusted portion out and rolling the remaining sheet metal under to eliminate the overhang over the frame (which also got z'd front and rear). Fun to research it using the HAMB and figure out how a couple of kids would build it.

13. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I dont understand. Thread started out ok, then went weird

14. Outside the box? Ditch the box altogether. Back in the 70s and 80s there were tons of hot rod flat bed trucks you would see at rod runs and in the magazines. They all just seem to have faded away? That is why when I found my GMC I decided to keep it a flatbed. Going to run 10s in the back and 5s up front. Hot rod rake etc,

[​IMG]

TA DAD, brEad and Phillips like this.
  15. atch

atch

1w_7T5A1115.jpg frankensteinish Chevy PU.jpg untitled (6).png

I've been told that the following black '57 is a photoshop job but I don't know for sure.
    photoshopped Chevy PU.jpg

And; I'm sorry; but I just can't resist:
    IMG_1477.JPG

Anyone got a pic of choprods' '58 El Camino?

And we can't leave out jakesbackyard's shoebox ranchero:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    R A Wrench, AVater, alfin32 and 7 others like this.
  16. az tinman

az tinman

still love old trucks, even my '32

17. X-cpe

X-cpe

Photoshop or not, that works for me.

18. ...a different take on an A...
    DSCN5957.JPG DSCN5958.JPG

19. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

20. low64

low64
    from Canton, GA

21. A Boner

A Boner

22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-15_5-53-55.png

Hello,

Old trucks abound in our neck of the So Cal “woods.” Living near any industrial complex has its ups and downs. In the Westside of Long Beach, we got the drift of industrial aromas every day and night. The prevailing winds came from the West and blew right into our neighborhood.

Fiberglass spray aroma, the oil refinery odors and smoke came blowing in everyday of our lives. There were also chemical factories, a vitamin factory that had the worst smell ever, along with the good smells of charcoal grilles from the newly created char-broil restaurants just down the street.

So, with the idea of working trucks in everyone’s minds, there are/were always trucks lingering around in our neighborhood, old and new.

Jnaki

Did this truck have ulterior motives? Some body work had been started, sanding primer has begun and the color looks like it is a base for a future complete paint job. Although, there are plenty of old trucks with age old patina still running and servicing their owners in our neighborhood.

Many years ago, the hot rods and trucks had finished paint jobs. In this day and age, the worn look of original patina is a sign of good old times and shows that the good old guy still has it in his blood lines. YRMV
    upload_2021-8-15_3-52-34.png

Attached Files:

23. shortypu

shortypu

24. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-9-5_8-31-54.png

Hello,

When these trucks first came out, the local gardeners and landscaping companies used them as they were smaller than full size pickup trucks, but gave a different ride and viewing. The ride in the front seat was felt as the driver/passenger sat over the front wheels. But the suspension did its best to make it comfortable. It was a new way to build a truck or van.

Our friend had one of the first Econoline vans that he converted to a sales showroom (Frantz Oil Filters) and a surf camper van. The ride was the same, except for the extra weight. Bumps were not to be taken at speed, but it made the driver be extra cautious. But, the Ford Econoline trucks and vans had an advantage over the popular VW vans… they had more power to get to the destination sooner.

Jnaki

During the pandemic, there were plenty of small businesses that had to bite the bullet and take an extended vacation. But, commercial businesses and office buildings still needed some loving care.

The Econoline truck was innovative, but was a hard sell in the long run versus the ever popular Ford F100 pickup trucks, then and throughout history to this day (F150-F250 versions).

AVater and osage orange like this.
  26. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

27. NinaSchultz

NinaSchultz

Old cars look very cool; moreover, cars used to be made very well, so we still see cars that are 50 years old and in good condition. But maintenance of these cars can be very expensive because it is difficult to find quality parts. I don't have a car, so I usually drive my truck. I recently sold my old truck through https://nationalcarparts.co.nz/truck-wreckers-auckland/ and used the proceeds to buy a new truck. Modern truck models have many features that are not available in older versions.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022