Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tremec TKO 500 shifter help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8paul, Apr 8, 2016.

1. v8paul

v8paul
    from england

Does any one know if it's possible to buy a front shifter kit for the Tremec TKO 500 ?
    I assumed it wouldn't be a problem but they are no longer availble from Tremec.

Using it in my Model A behind a Hemi:

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Paul

brigrat likes this.
  2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went through this and settled for a mid-shifter instead. Stupidly, and most unlike me, I continued looking around and I believe they are still available but not the Tremec ones. AMP in Phoenix seem to know / have everything about Tremecs. Tom is the guy. Search TKO on Ebay and their details won't be far away. In retrospect though I think I'm happier with the mid shifter (car is still a project) as whilst the front position puts the shifter in a nice, original, far forward style position the necessary long shifter probably removes much of the fun action that the Tremec (hopefully) provides - well that's my theory!

Liking the look of your setup too.

Chris

loudbang and v8paul like this.
  3. Phil1934

Phil1934

loudbang and v8paul like this.
  4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure how much you need to go forward, but you can turn the plate around in the current location to gain some. Or the mid-shifter kits are still available from Mike Forte. I've read that the front shifter position kits did not work well if you were at all aggressive with the shift. Mike Forte has been working on Tremec stuff for a long time and he is great to talk to on the phone.

loudbang likes this.

5. v8paul

v8paul
    from england

Thanks for the help guys, i've also been sent some links which says the front shifter had problems, that's why it became obsolete. So the mid shift kit will have to do !

Thanks again
    Paul

DenverFlash, loudbang and jeffd1988 like this.
  6. loudbang likes this.
  7. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

8. loudbang likes this.
  9. It's a difference of 4.5". 7" for front shift and 11.5" for mid shift.

loudbang likes this.
  10. earlymopar

earlymopar

Keep in mind the shifter shape and length is another variable that can help you further dial-in the position your shifter to where you want it.

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have a mid shifter setup that i got from bob hanlon then i switched to a rear one. Its for sale if someone needs it. It it also a short throw shifter. 20190521_193207.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Could you remove the access covers for all the shifter locations and take a picture of how they look inside. I'm wondering if the shifter mechanism may be essentially the same at each location, but the shape of the mounting plate/adapter just being different. A look at the inside of each location should answer that question.
    They sell the original shifters on Ebay pretty cheap, so it might be possible to adapt one....and if it doesn't work you still have the original one.

warbird1 likes this.
  13. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Sorry, the tranny is in the truck now, and i would have to pull the floor. I will look and see if i have any pics of it.

Tony

14. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Tremen TR-3550 / Tremec TKO service manual, parts manual, and shift relocate kits are available on line. You can flip the rear cover without disassembly, but the mid or front kit install involves disassembly as you need to relocate the shift lever parts. So the direct answer is that the shift lever parts do not exist at all three locations as built. You move the rear ones to the position that you want.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

So, no matter what the op does, he would have to remove his transmission so he could relocate the shift lever parts in order to have a mid or forward shift point............
    Then the lower part of the shifter he has will work because its moving the same components. It would be a matter of modifying the shift mount to make it work at the mid or forward location instead of spending several hundred dollars for a shifter that bolts in place.
    At least thats what seems logical to me.

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a TKO 500 in my 32 Ford pickup with the rare factory front shifter. I have had no problems to date. Several years ago a customer spotted the shifter in a picture of a chassis I'd built and he offered 1000.00 just for the shifter. It worked out really well in the pickup as it's very close to the stock shifter location. I think I got the trans from Forte?

warbird1 and ekimneirbo like this.
  17. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Thats what i have on the nid shift position and this is what it was when i took it apart.

Tont 20191222_163730.jpeg 20191222_163734.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warbird1 and ekimneirbo like this.