Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rodent Repellent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glrbird, Oct 16, 2020.

1. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

My bro had a mouse problem with his motorhome. Placed dryer sheets in strategic locations throughout the unit. Mice used said dryer sheets to make nests. That species anyway, Did not seem to mind the smell of dryer sheets.

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's some good watching right there! I can buy a lot of poison for $169 though.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. mbaker

mbaker
    from So Cal

A few people mentioned the snap traps. I like the salami idea.
    What I've been using is a pumpkin seed smeared with PB. Gives em something to tug at and set off the trap.
    Squirrels seem to like it too but the rat traps are too small. I find the squirrel dragging the bloody trap down the street. Have to wack it with a shovel. I've considered mounting the traps on a 12" square of 1/4" ply or something. to keep the squirrels from wandering off. Seems like it should solve that issue.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Is there someone inside with a teeny hammer?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  5. mbaker

mbaker
    from So Cal

The RATX Pellets sound interesting. I like that there is supposedly no risk of secondary kills.

They do not seem to be helping me out much but I do hear the owls on occasion. The rats I do catch in the snap traps. Sometimes 2 or 3 a night. I just pitch over the fence into the park. Birds, coyotes, owls, other.. I don't know but they are always gone by the next morning.

From the RatX website:
    "Once RatX® pellets are ingested by a rat (or mouse), they coat the lining of the stomach, thereby blocking all messages to the brain telling the rodent to drink water. Once this occurs, dehydration sets in and eventually leads to circulatory failure. Within a few days, the rodent will have died with virtually no pain."

6. mbaker

mbaker
    from So Cal

Pretty much. If I remember correct it has one of the little gas cylinders like a pellet gun and they just get clobbered. I think that trap was featured once on the Moustrap Monday youtube channel.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know the dumbest ideas some times worked. After I had my house tented for termites 10 years ago (we had lived in it over 40 yrs at that time) I screwed a computer fan with two blades, next to each other, cut off on one of the trusses. I read they did not like vibration of any kind. Haven’t seen any freeze for over 10 years. Uses minimal electricity.
    We also have quite a few lizards which have eliminated any small anointing creatures...

9. Budget36

Budget36

My tat repellan/killer is a piece of pvc I split on on side. Over a pipe where the fuckers travel around. Bucket of water under the pipe. Rats run across it, pvc spins and the rats fall off into the bucket of water and drown I live kinda in the country and have pets, much as I’d like to poison the fuckers I like my pets more

I the morning I drain the water, rats go in a bag and in the garbage can. No stink, poison or hurt pets

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said. Once you have your dog barely able to walk looking at you and whimpering after eating rat poison you'll never ever use rat poison again. Or if you do you are one cold hearted SOB. JMO

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    flatheadpete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Yep, I'm trying to break my new neighbor in, when you use rat poison, they seek water, so along side his shop I place pans of water on the other side of the fence. I pull the dead effer up and take them over to him. I keep telling him I hope I catch them all before they crawl to my side, but when your dogs get them, it's on you.

He's denser than a full grown oak tree so I do what I gotta do.

But, gotta be better than living in NYC, right?

chryslerfan55 and 51504bat like this.
  12. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

13. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Soap, dryer sheets and any other smelly stuff i have found does not work. Just because you dont see mice doesnt mean they are not there

14. Sure you an use peanut butter, salami etc. and the mice will come and you will kill them. That method will never end. I put the traps outside and do not use bait. I just put them along the edges of the house / lattice. If you bait inside you will draw them inside.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

saltflats likes this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

At 71 years old and food involved what do you think?

16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My cat catches mice and takes them into the bath tub to play. When she's tired se takes them back out and turns them loose. Someone told me Irish Spring soap would resell them. I put a couple of bars in a car and they ate it. Dryer sheets t the same kind of thing. I found a product called Plantskid. It is blood meal mostly. It comes as a liquid, really stinks, and granules, barely smells unless it gets wet. Rodents don't like being around it. I out it in small cloth bags in all the cars and places all over the house. It was made for gardens but my dogs love it. It is expensive but really works. My tack room is rodent free and there are plenty of places they can enter. The problem here is that our property has springs and in the desert where there is water there are rodents and where there are rodents there are snakes. I hate it when they are in the shop or garden. This one lost it's head.
    200720_0001.jpg 200720_0003.jpg

17. hotrod428

hotrod428

I have been using Fresh Cab for the last 3 - 4 years and have not had mice in the cars since. I throw one in the trunk and one inside the car and leave the hood open.

18. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

We named one of our cats D-Con once. Pretty funny. Most people got it! Bob

Peter Nowak likes this.
  19. Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Been using Tom cat stations last few years with cheap really strong smelling dryer xsheets from the dollar store. Deals with mice but I got a couple crazy ass
    red squirrels in my garden equip shed I need to deal with.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A squirrel is just a fancy rat with a better PR person.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Around here we eat squirrel. Mice and rats are for the predator's.

51504bat, Six Ball and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Water bucket trap is the best . I set mine up the other day and in one night I had 6 dead mice , now their good mice. Here's something else I do that seems to help keep mice out of cars . Awhile back I decided to move my Studebaker over to the house but the mice had that thing smelling so bad that I didn't want it in my garage like that , so I vacuumed it out and decided to try and get something to kill the smell so I put a small bowl on the floor and filled it with Pine Sol it seems that the Pine Sol keeps the mice away so now I put it in all my cars.

24. Chicken of the tree baby!

saltflats and Six Ball like this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The Great Basin rattlers we have here are not aggressive at all like the Prairie Rattlers and Western Diamondbacks I grew up with in Texas. If they are 50-75 yards from the house I mostly leave them alone. I like them more than pack rats and ground squirrels (not the eatin' kind). There are tree squirrels near hear but no on our place. They are the ultimate muzzle loading rifle game hence the name squirrel rifle. :)
    In the shop these will steal tools and rearrange everything that it can get in it's mouth. In the house they can cause divorce. :( Iv'e used the water bucket trap and like it a lot but my dogs eat the peanut butter I used for bait.

100_2509.jpg