Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rodent Repellent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glrbird, Oct 16, 2020.

1. glrbird

glrbird

Anyone tried the Rodent Repellent Spray Amazon sells ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not yet, but sounds like what I'm gonna need...the cats stay out front, the cat-hating dog stays in the back, where my '47 Sedan is!
    2 years ago we had a horrible mouse problem! I used D-con, took it out of the wrappers and set it under the porch. A week later, no more mice. (there were LOTS before that!)

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Callmaker

Callmaker

Its better to kill em than repel em!!!

4. I have a cat. Have never had mice except for a half eaten one.:)

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Like all sprays and power to sprinkle to keep rodents away, it is the time that it takes to keep applying the same thing over and over again. If it works and you don't mind the wasted time on those little critters, then go ahead and get the sprays. We used D-con ages ago. The mice eat it and go away to die. Where? Sometimes it was inside of walls, sometimes in a mouse hole in the yard, or some place in a crevice in the garage.

The only way to find out is to see the loose mouse hairs sitting around a tree stump or wood pile. In the garage, it starts to stink first, so you will know the product works. But now, you have to clean it up. It does make them go away for a while. It has been around for many years and people still like it.

Jnaki

There have been countless threads about getting rid of mice or rodents. The most successful and less work and hassle are the ultrasound devices offered. Some are low cost, some higher in cost, but they all work. Where do the mice go? Who cares, as long as they stay away from the hot rods in the garage or your house.

We all know there are too many openings in house construction, with the weep holes and Spanish Tiles. Even the shingle/shake applications create openings for housing the critters. Once you install the ultrasound devices all over the garage outlets, attics, and inside of the primary bedrooms, there will be absolute quiet and no pitter patter of little feet running around in the attic.

We have been mouse free for over 30 years. In the different houses where we have lived and experimented with all kinds of powders, sprays, pellets, and a dish of beer, they all worked to some degree. But, it took up too much time for the simplicity of ultrasound devices.

Our neighbor hates ultrasound devices. He likes sticky paper and snap traps with peanut butter. He is constantly spending more time cleaning up than relaxing in our old age. We see mice in the far reaches of the yard, but it is rare. The range of the ultrasound only goes so far. But, it is their playground way out there and that is where they can live happily, while my wife and I are in a peaceful, quiet, no worry environment. YRMV

With the modern technology, there are different frequencies to cover most or all bases. Amazon is ready for a one day delivery any time. You will be enjoying your quiet time without the hassle of those critters. The ultrasound does not harm or make the little dog run around in circles. Cats? Why bother? No one wants open poop sitting around in a box inside the house, either. One couple in our neighborhood has a cat...the coyotes take care of all other little species.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Chucky, seb fontana and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. The issue with DeCon is that it is not a single kill rodenticide. It kills the rodents but will also anything that eats the rodent, like your cat, dog or god forbid your toddler.
    I like cats and spring traps for the elimination. I have been using old time moth balls with naptha as a repellant away from the cars and sheds. Has been working so far.

7. exterminator

exterminator

Snap traps with peanut butter on the trigger. If i had a dollar for ever mouse i trapped.........

Joe Blow, Dave Mc, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True this! A buddy of mine killed all of the pets in his neighborhood by poisoning his rats...and all of the pets that dined that dined on them including his own dog. He felt pretty bad. The pets probably felt worse but for a shorter period.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife found a stray terrier mix that she couldn't live without. A couple of days later it got into an old rat's nest in a shed I was tearing down. Apparently sometime in the past the rat had ingested rat poison and went elsewhere to die because there was no trace in the nest of poison or the rat. Early the next morning I was on a code 3 run to the all night emergency vet. $1200.00 later and an overnight stay the dog was fine. Learned an expensive but valuable lesson, no rat poison any more - only Victor spring traps. Use dry salami for bait. The rats can't easily pull it off the trap and I can usually re-use the salami several times.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I use the spring traps with no bate, just set them it their pathways, it's more sporting. :D

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My wife just brought these home today.
    "There will be blood in the streets tonight"
    20201016_165712.jpg

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

If you're looking to kill the mice/rats, Eaton's Formula work great.
    They only have to eat their weight for it to kill them. 1oz-2oz.
    It's an anticoagulant mixed with chicken feed and it make them ulcerate and bleed out. It dries the body fluid so you'll rarely have an odor if at all.
    There is no chance of secondary poisoning since the animal that eats the carcass must also eat it's weight.
    You can get it in toss packs and toss them behind things/places that the larger animals can not get into;
    Washer/dryers, fridges, inside of cars, etc.

Never used the Rodent Repellent spray from Amazon. The only repellents I have ever used was a bleach solution or pepper juice and sprayed it around my storage areas and dryer sheets placed through out the area.

Or call a professional pest control company.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  13. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had zero success with the ultrasonic devices to repel mice, actually found mouse crap on top of the units. Bounce drier sheets inside the cars seemed to keep them out, or maybe they just didn't get in those cars. It's hard to prove a negative. D-con works, old fashioned snap traps work. I've set them inside cars, you just have to remember to run your trapline every day or thongs can get smelly. One of my sisters (the crazy cat lady) had about twenty farm cats (outside) says she hadn't seen a mouse in thirty years.

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

"Blood In The Streets" A DOORS Tune
    Just reminded me of it.

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Some ones avitar quote here on the HAMB was " the second mouse gets the cheese" made me laugh out loud.

16. He has a look that says, I understand youse got a mouse problem, consider it solved.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m courious! ! ! ! Will Rodent Repellent keep you from putting a mouse or rat engine in your hot rod?

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

We had a bunch of Feral cats, they were/are well fed by most of the neighbors and the supply of varmets.. Wife thought to catch and have fixed and released as they were reproducing quite well:rolleyes:. So about 13 were caught, couple males and 11 females, fixed and released back where they were caught. Only one or two are around, all the rest have disappeared. Anyone know why?

20. Probably pissed. Would you hang around somewhere after somebody picked you up and had you 'fixed'?

21. Have one and maybe another stray I've seen at the new place - thinking about now - I stop feeding them.....at the old place where I still have my wrecker and a few cars - have fixed most of the strays - or should I say the cats the renters left behind....anyway no mice there....maybe a racoon or two........

22. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

It is a well documented fact that feeding cats does not change their killing instinct. Mine is fixed, well fed and well taken care of by the vet and has cleared a lot of acreage of pests (mice and voles mostly).

She even goes after Muskrats in their dens! She is an alpha for sure...a real bad a**...but I’ve said before I spent over 3 months finding the right cat for the job.

Regards, Randy

IMG_9966.JPG

IMG_9965.JPG

IMG_9964.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Nothing worse than a smelly thong....:p

Packrat, hidez57, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Jnaki;
    Which ultrasonic(s) have you used that were proven successful? The ones I bought didn't work, had 6 in a 24x28 gar, mice whizzed all over them, so dirty, I threw them away. Cat helps keep them away now, although they still tear up my cars, redoing the gar insul & siding helped alot, paying spl attention to sealing everything. But I cringe whenever I have to open either door.
    Marcus...

25. Dizzie

Dizzie

[​IMG]
    I’ve used these inside my cars for a few years now. I buy them from a farm supply or John Deere dealer. Farmers use them in their enclosed equipment when they are stored. I haven’t had any mice since using them. I also place Victor mouse traps around the shop with peanut butter to catch any that are around.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrod428 and loudbang like this.
  26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a family of these that live on my property:
    Dad '20.jpg
    Betwenn them and the 5-gallon bucket trap I have yet to get rodents in my cars.
    In the house we have 2 cats: Frankie and Zap. Any mouse that's dumb enough to come in the house isn't gonna make it out alive.

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hey M,
    We have used many different types of ultrasonic devices. Over the years, we have upgraded to different ones just because they have different coverages and are newer. The latest ones were in 2019 and the other was in 2017.
    upload_2020-10-17_9-18-25.png

ASPECTEK Ultrasonic Pest Repeller, Rotatable Switchable Pest Control with Adjustable Night Light - for Rodents, Rat, Mouse, Mice, Spider, Mosquito and Insect - Pack of 4 (AR2261)

The ones in the garage give off a slightly green light enough to walk around in the dark without any lights turned on for vision. One is on the front porch.

upload_2020-10-17_9-20-10.png
    ProSafe 2019 Newest Ultrasonic Pest Repeller, Mice, Mosquito, Rodents, Cockroach and Insects Plug-in Repellent Child and Pet Safe (2-Pack)

This one is under a table against the wall in our TV room and in our bedroom.

But, for all the good they have done, at least it is not the physical scooping up of dead bloody mice with bulging eyes staring at you, as you put them in sealed bags for the trash can. We have to keep up with the latest versions of one or the other. Sometimes, they are out of stock, so the latest one is this 2020 version that is on order for delivery next week.

Jnaki

It has a nice look, not obtrusive and is rather stylish if the wall plug is seen from across the room. Aesthetics plays an important part when plugged into the exposed wall. Of course, we have never had any of them break or not work. They take care of business without poisons or cats.

Technology is nice as the companies do the research and improve on their own products for the consumer. Yes, there are multiple brands of the same type of products, but are we all used to 5 different models of GM products labeled something else, but look the same? This, to make us feel as if we are individuals with choices?

upload_2020-10-17_9-17-50.png Ultrasonic Pest Repeller(6 Pack), 2020 Pest Control Ultrasonic Repellent, Electronic Repellant - Bug Repellent for Ant, Mosquito, Mice, Spider, Roach, Rat, Flea, Fly

P.S. If anyone is still bothered with mice in hot rods or any cars, don't eat anything inside, vacuum out your car if you do eat something and if necessary for larger garages, get an outdoor extension 3 prong cord with the ultrasonic device on the end and stick it inside of the window.

28. Mice dislike the smell of dryer sheets. HRP

Flathead Dave likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Why bother repelling them when you can just kill them ?
    Without poison or any other toxic thing that would kill your pets or any other wildlife?
    A24 is the solution.
    Automatictrap.com

I really want to buy one of these.