Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 60s Ford 3 speed o/d parts availability

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 17, 2020.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 65 mercury has o/d but its not working,push the cable in and it will go into free wheeling but no o/d so its most likely on the electrical side. Been reading through the shop manual and of course it says to replace a part if its not doing what its supposed to but I doubt I could still go to the dealer and get the parts it needs,so are those parts still available or can they be repaired. I still have not done the tests to see what is wrong but did check the fuse on the relay and its getting power on both sides so the relay is getting power.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Depends what's wrong with it. If the solenoid is bad, they're kind of expensive to replace. The governor shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement for, but they don't often go bad. The relay, might have dirty contacts. Same with the kickdown switch. If it's just a wiring problem, then time and attention to detail is all it needs, and this is of course where you should start. It could also be a mechanical problem, with the pawl, etc.

3. v8flat44

v8flat44

alanp561 likes this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

Junkyard yes check everything and clean everything up most of the time it’s the relay. I have had a lot of od cars they really are nice when working. My 51 merc needed the od rebuilt when I got it man with the 4 11 gear when you go into od it’s heaven. Good luck

squirrel likes this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Might also try GarageMotorsports.Com in Vancouver, Wa. They offer rebuilt solenoids and governors, do complete transmissions, and make the 4 speed Saginaw with overdrive setups. E-Bay also has a ton of parts, but some of it's fairly $$$$$. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I hope its just a bad connection since I think this car has been sitting for over 30 years.

7. KenC

KenC

As others have said, just troubleshoot it carefully. Bad connections or dirty contacts are often the culprits. If you do find a bad electrical component, they are always available on that auction site. Internal parts are harder to find, but usually can be sourced relatively cheaply.

8. jaracer

jaracer

Here is a schematic from a 66 Ford service manual. It should be exactly the same as your 65 Merc. OD Schem.jpg
    You have already verified that you have power to the relay and that the fuse is good. Now you need to see if the relay will work. If you ground the TH.SW Terminal, the relay should energize and send power to the SOL Terminal. That proves that the relay is operational. I would then check the rest of the wiring with a DVOM. Check to see if you have power at the blue wire on the OD solenoid on the trans. Check to see if you have power at the white wire on the governor.

If the relay works, and you aren't too good with a DVOM, then a quick, down and dirty test of the system would be to rig up a wire from the TH.SW Terminal to the inside of the car. Connect that wire to a switch with the other side connected to ground. With your new switch open, push in the OD cable and drive the car to maybe 30, close your new switch and let up on the throttle. If everything else is good, it should go into overdrive. If it does, then there is something wrong with the wiring to the governor or the governor itself. Note that this connection does go through the kickdown switch.

Good luck.

flatford39 likes this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will give that a try tomorrow.

10. jaracer

jaracer

I should point out that something that may be misleading. You will only be able to read voltage at the blue wire with the TH.SW. Terminal jumped to ground. You will only read voltage at the white wire on the governor with the jumper removed.

On a 55 year old vehicle it is possible that the points in the relay are dirty. If you jump the TH.SW. Terminal to ground and you don't read voltage at the SOL Terminal, that may be the case. You can gently remove the relay cover and clean the points with a point file or some emery cloth.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Was wanting to run some tests but just after I got the brakes adjusted better it started to rain so a project for another day.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Relay is working.

13. Check power and grounds at all connections, you can use a 12v lantern battery for a test battery if you don't have jumper wires or a power probe. You can jump the solenoid and listen for a click, you can pull and spin the governor with a meter attached to see if it opens and closes. Biggest thing I can say is if you're using an o/d trans always have a spare for parts. You can usually find Ford o/d transmissions cheap (around here).

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Tomorrow I will see if the wire going to the governor is not broke or have a bad connection or the switch on the gas pedal is the cause,if it was the relay a 3 terminal horn relay could have been used.

15. I used an a/c clutch relay when I put one in my '64 panel, I wanted something that could handle a similar load and length of time. Also I sourced an brand new older Standard Ignition one from the 90's off of eBay, made in the USA and the case was metal to blend in.

On a friends '50 Merc he used the stock relay, gutted it, installed a new plastic Hella relay inside and wired to the terminals. On the outside it connected like original.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I hope its just a bad connection but if its the governor I might just run a toggle switch until I can find one.

17. KenC

KenC

Take a look at its' insides. Most can be repaired by filing/cleaning the contact points.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Found a couple broken wires at the firewall but still no o/d,wire is good from the relay to the governor so I am going to use a toggle switch to ground the relay and see if the solenoid works.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Grounded the relay and still no o/d,when I was checking out the wiring I found two wires that burnt apart coming from under the dash out along the firewall. There were soldered back togather but it looks like I will need to remove the harness from the car and inspect it,the wire going to the coil was burnt too so something happened so I need to do some investigation since wires usually just do not burn for no reason. My wide ratio toploader 4 speed and highway gears just might go in but would like to get what it has working if it will not cost a bunch.