Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I think I could finish my projects in half the time if....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I spend about half of my shop time wandering around looking for bolts, nuts, tools and today an electric fuel pump that I just had. It gets frustrating.

I think I could shave months off my projects, if I didn’t have old man brain.

I swear I must have early onset Dimentia....

2. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

3. squirrel

squirrel

I spent half an hour looking for an electric pump yesterday...finally moved the stuff out of the way that was blocking my view of the words ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS on the box....there it was.

48fordnut, Gizzy, fauj and 12 others like this.
  4. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

If you guys saw me struggle with the self inflicted stupidity that ends up eating up my time and efforts... you would haul me into a mental institution.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I must have ongoing dementia for the past several years .:D

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

I spent the last 25 years of my working life welding. I retired 2 years ago. These days, I have the hardest time keeping track of my welding gloves. Its amazing how far from where I was just using them they turn up being.

Attitude is everything. You get to choose how you respond to the dumb things. When you start laughing at yourself for setting that thing you were just using, all the way across the shop, life gets easier. Gene

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's why I always took the phone off the hook (remember those) when assembling an engine.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

I spent almost an hour last night looking for my little brake bleeding cup. I used it just a month ago and I often set it somewhere out back to drip dry, so my buddy and I looked everywhere. I gave up and went to the drawer to get a piece of clear tube to use with a coffee can and there was the bleeder cup, right where it belongs. I swear I looked in there. We laughed and got the brakes bled and they work great but I’m not gonna live that one down any time soon! Like the man said, you gotta have a sense of humor about it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

61Cruiser, Stogy, Phoenix24 and 4 others like this.
  9. My problem is I go out to the shop and sit down and start thinking of all I need to do and end up not getting the one thing done I went to do.
    For instance I go out to trace some wiring issues and start the process of a heater install. Next thing you know I’m headed to the landfill will a trailer full of yard waste.

10. fegsta

fegsta

My problem is my sons, they never put anything back where they got it from. Or they take it home over the weekend, but the weekend lasts for a month. Seems I go and get another socket or grinder ect, it's easy to run around half the day to retrieve stuff. Now I have two grinders two jig saws ect, it's so frustrating to start a job then the tool you need isn't there. I suppose it's my fault for trying to help them out. I should of got them to get there own tools...

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, Doublepumper, cfmvw and 2 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IF you don't have me do anything on it...:D

12. 1ton

1ton

My sons have strict rules about borrowing things from the garage. They have to hand the borrowed item to me personally so I can misplace it all on my own.

partsdawg, loudbang, X-cpe and 6 others like this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't they say half the fun of building a car is the hunt? They just need to expand that to include tools, parts, paint, nuts, bolts, and anything else needed to build the damn thing!

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

AGREE, It makes me think I look but Do Not see anymore, when working on something, I'll end up with a pile of tools, always many duplicates, looking for something, know I have it, can't find it, sometimes it magically appears after I've purchased another one, then I find original where I thought it was. My mind screws with me. I always said, there are no 5 minute jobs and now when I realize I'm having one of those days, I stop and go at it another day. I spend way too much time looking for stuff, can't find my damn glasses, where's my coffee cup, what was I working on, why did I come in the shop, finally ready I think, phone rings, now start over. stage #1 CRS stage #2 CRAFT after achieving stage 2 guessing the frustration goes away. Someone on here had a thread about "Garage Gremlins" that was funny and sad, but too true. I've learned to laugh at myself on this subject, "It IS What It IS". Life is Good, Still get some things/projects done, just takes me forever. my deal is "Nothing Happens Fast"

15. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

OMG! I'm getting so bad it is starting to scare me. I can be working on something and decide I need a different wrench. Walk to the tool box and can't remember what I was after. Finally remember what wrench I was after, turn around to go back to work and have to look around the shop to see what I was working on. Shit! An hour job now can take all day, or maybe I'll just finish it in the morning (if I can remember what the hell I was working on yesterday!!)

16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Oh man, same thing here. Seems I can't see what I'm looking at anymore.

Doublepumper, Roothawg and wicarnut like this.
  17. BJR

BJR

My friends daughter spent 10 minutes looking for her cellphone she thought she lost in her car........ she was using the flashlight on her phone to help find it!

61Cruiser, RMONTY, Tim and 10 others like this.
  18. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Is she blonde? I think blonde trumps age! (My wife is blonde.)

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I am terrible at finding things. So I ask my wife to come out to the shop and I describe what it is I am looking for. She finds it in no time. And she is not a gearhead in any way. Always amazes me, especially when it's right there in front of me and she says, "Is this what you're looking for?"

chiro, Doublepumper, Roothawg and 3 others like this.
  20. I wish I had some one to blame for my dilemma but I'm afraid I am the culprit, at the beginning of the pandemic I started on a long overdue reorganization and clean up, that lasted for several weeks and then we had a big storm come through and as a result the next few weeks were dedicated to cutting up downed trees and cleaning up all the debris.

After the yard was back in shape I got back to the garage mess, I am close to having everything back in place, I have also found tools & parts I have misplaced. HRP

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

THE "Deal" when Mature age is achieved , Go out in shop, brain fart, why, then was I coming or going, When going to store, check 2X for list, get in store, can't find it, leaving a restaurant, wife asks me, got your phone, I ask wife have your phone/ purse, where's my car keys/glasses, I have lost my debit card, 1 per year, last 2 years running. I always have a miss Garmin in all my vehicles now. My wife and I go through time frames where everything is OK, then one of our brains take a short break ( we overworked them for years) My story is my hard drive is full, but has a mild virus that pops in/out. LOL

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Doublepumper, Roothawg and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. 2935ford

2935ford

Listen all.......it just goes with the territory.

We now just joke about it.
    A couple of builds ago we couldn't find our lower shock mounts......took several weeks to only find them exactly where we put them.
    So now everything that goes missing we simply say, "They're with the shock mounts." and laugh!

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My problem is my work sessions seem to be so far apart. Start something, have to order a part, by the time part gets there I've moved on to something else, what did I order that part for? Sometimes it's weeks between times I get to work on anything, others it stretches out to months. By then I usually forget what I've done and still need to do, and have to go back and take inventory, by that time I have to quit and still haven't gotten anything done. I'm also bad to get to a spot I need something, instead of jumping to something else that needs done, I'll just quit. Been that way with my transmission, I need to get it rebuilt, had the money, but wouldn't turn it loose because of all the uncertainty this year. Good thing I did hold off, just got the semi out of the shop after three weeks, a nearly $11,000 shop bill. That hurt, and it still ain't right, probably needs another $5000 spent on it. So the car sits longer....

Doublepumper likes this.
  24. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I got to the point that I wrote down an inventory of the parts I had for my coupe and put them in plastic tubs in the same stall I had the frame in. I had bought parts and then bought them again when I couldn't find them. Cleaned out the garage a while back and passed on parts to friends and put some small stuff on Pay It Forward, scared to try to empty the attic in the garage.

Doublepumper likes this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’m good about bagging and tagging. I’m talking about carrying something around and setting it down and 45 seconds later it vanishes.

26. I typically waste time searching for a part.
    I'm positive I have it, only to finally remember I installed it already on another car, that has since been sold.
    The up side is I usually come across in my search something else I have, that I forgot I had.

Roothawg and Doublepumper like this.
  27. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Boy, can I relate with this. I have a constant issue of dragging stuff around. I'll be working on a part and need a tool. I'll go to get the tool with the part in hand. I get the tool and return to the bench/car and then can't find the dang part......that I left setting next to where I just got the tool. facepalm2.gif

RICH B, jaw22w and Roothawg like this.
  28. goldmountain

goldmountain

I can't find anything because I have too much stuff on my workbench. Can't just put the tools away because there are more tools than toolbox space. Can't put stuff away because I'm not finished yet. Can't see where I left my glasses because I need them to see where I left them.

29. topher5150

topher5150

I can't find anything because I'm working in my backyard. I've been thinking about taking one of those roller magnets and attaching to the front of the John Deere

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

seb fontana and Roothawg like this.
  30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

In recent years I've found myself setting down a part or tool, and walk away for a few minutes, only to go back and it's not there! Then spend another 15 minutes trying to find the part, and then it's right there where I thought it was! I can't explain this phenomenon, but it's a new thing over recent years. Must be dementia, or something like that?