Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical van norman boring bar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fstarocka, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

Hi all - so i have a VN 900 I have used with astounding results (mirrorlike finish b4 honing and within 5/10thou), but iirc it only goes to 4.030.. im wondering if one can change out cats paws and use the longer cutter from the 944? I think my toolkit actually came with a longer cutter .. if I can get the centering sorted i think I can manage.

I might need to bore a 454 - thanks!

dana barlow likes this.
  2. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Having used the VN boring bar myself with excellent results {world records} I would think using the longer cats paws to locate the bar in the larger bore would work fine with the longer cutter you already have. From what I have seen the only difference between the 900 and the 944 is the boring bars actual diameter obviously a larger boring bar diameter would mean more rigid thus needing cats paws that are not as long.. The diameter difference between the two bars is not very much from what I recall.
    Roonieroadster

Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

great thanks - so the 900 should handle the 4.250 bore of the 454 then, i think i got the 777 confused with the 900, the 777 goes to 4.030 maybe?

4. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

I don't see why it wouldn't as long as the cats paws locate the bar on center and you have a cutter that's long enough it should work.