Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Master cylinder location on 30 tudor under the cowl

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deansrr, Oct 15, 2020.

1. deansrr

deansrr

I'm thinking about putting the Master Cylinder & Booster under the Cowl on my 30 Tudor, any one have any pictures and suggestions

2. It's a street rod idea. Good if you like restricted access.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Are you a contortionist?

dirty old man likes this.
  4. jaracer

jaracer

This is what I did on my 29, but I'm not running a booster. The master cylinder ends up on the firewall. 2015_01_16_0352.JPG 2015_02_27_0368.JPG 2015_01_16_0352.JPG 2015_02_27_0368.JPG

5. The idea came about after someone noticed 70s dodge vans had a great 90 degree mount, Kugel makes one ready to go. Or, you can do your own. A remote filler makes life easier

Tim and warbird1 like this.
  6. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Both Kugel and ECI make brackets for 90-degree mounting. Kugel also make a 180-degree mount. And the there is Wilwood, Tilton, etc, more race-car stuff.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I agree with jaracer. Not enough room for a booster. I used a pedal setup from an '84 Toyota Vanwagon because it had a master cylinder behind the dashboard. After I brought it home, I realized that there was no way it would work as in the van so I made a 90 degree bellcrank from the pivot and arm from another brake pedal assembly mounted sideways. Made a master cylinder reservoir out of sheet metal and I can fill it from my cowl vent (Model T coupe). Scan-171212-0001.jpg

Tman likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Check out the MG setup.

9. If you can find one look under the Hood of a 1974 E-150 Van. It's much like the Dodge van mentioned above. Using a system like this in your Model A sounds way more Kool than it actually is once installed. I have a friend with this style in a Roadster and he made the Cowel Top hinge up like a hood to gain access. Way to involved for me.

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Doing the same on my 31 tudor, using a mount off of a mopar 1975 motor home.

Remote fill thru the gas cap. Figured henry put it there for gas now I'll just use it for brake fluid, one makes you go and the other makes you stop, cant get much more opposite than that !!

11. Made an under dash pedal set-up for a '29; integrated the box into the cowl structure with tube. Put the master and bell crank forward of the pedal (as compared to purchased pedal assy's) to maximize the space behind the gauge panel. Sheet metal piece goes under the master to close the firewall and bolt up to the front flange on the gutted stock tank. Never had to add fluid once it was together; but it was easily checked thru the old gas cap. Besides the '29, we have put a CCP under dash pedal assy with booster in a '54 Chev and Speedway's version in a '33 Tudor. Maybe a little harder to service; but not something you need to look at everyday. And better than looking at a dual master on the firewall of a hot rod.
    IMG_2924 (Medium).jpg

12. What's wrong with under the floor?

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a 6-1 or 7-1 ratio on the pedal no power would be needed. 5-1 or less for power is standard.

14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

A long time ago I bought one like this at a swap meet just because the price was right and I can't pass up a bargain. but I'm with X38 on this one. Put it under the floor and put access in hole for it. It will make life easier for you. brake ass. i bought.jpg

15. Sometimes that real estate is spoken for. Personally, I wouldn't have one on my cars and in fact have the master cylinder under the floor (where it belongs) on my '35 & '47. Tho; on the last '33 I had, it was easier go underneath and take the cap off for the yearly check, than to take up the carpet.
    IMG_2777 (Small) (2).jpg