Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 29 Chevy on Ford chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PickupNut, Oct 15, 2020.

1. PickupNut

PickupNut

Finally brought this home and started stripping it down. Plan was to build chassis myself. Setup for V-8 etc. But just came across what I believe is a TCI chassis for a Model A,complete 4 link front and rear, brakes, 9 inch with center and motor mounts for small block. Never used, great price. Question is, I know I need to take a ton of measurements and will require some mods to make happen.But does anyone have any experience/advice on this? Wheelbase seems very close, and going fenderless so don’t think THATS a big deal. Appreciate input from the gurus!! Thanks

Attached Files:

2. If they are the same wheel base you might make it work.The Chevy was two parallel rails.The A gets wider toward the rear.You may have to modify your body sub frame at the back.A measuring tape will tell. If you do welding a Chevy frame would be easy enough to build.Its a true ladder frame.Two straight rails with cross members.Chevy truck used the same type of frame until 1959 so you might consider modifying a truck frame.A tape measure will tell.

3. Well if your up to hand building a new Chassis by hand I would think mounting the body would just be part of that project. You would have nothing to start with in that combination. After all, the Chevy is just an old Apple Crate with Tin nailed on it. Buy the Ford chassis, forget it was built for a Ford and move forward. Same job in the end.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

What is that? A 2 dr sedan with the rear roof section moved forward like a Ute? Lets see more pictures of the body.

5. PickupNut

PickupNut

Attached Files:

6. Fordors

Fordors

CB132FFF-4E44-4CE9-9A5A-60667F517294.jpeg 508C7A27-2BC3-46FE-8D2D-94CE3564711E.jpeg

Back in the ‘60’s Hugh Tucker built a AA/SR, a ‘28 Chevy roadster on a 1934 Ford frame.
    Tucker’s car was 112” wheelbase and the proportions look good, your Chevy is 107” and a Model A frame would be short at 103.5 but that could easily by lengthened. You are right about going fenderless, that will simplify things.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  7. midroad

midroad

'29 Chevrolet is 106 inch wheelbase. It will be out of proportion on an 'A' chassis.

8. grumpy65

grumpy65

You make everything seem easier to do when you use descriptions like that. I love it. :D:D:D

Bandit Billy and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  9. Thats a really nice old Chevy.Is the wood in good shape? If I had a Chevy that complete I would leave it all Chevy.You have springs at all 4 corners so it would be easy to tune the ride.I bet 49-54 spindles,and brakes could be made to fit the stock axle.Throw a 292 Chevy six and a Camaro T5 in,hook it to a 55-57 Chevy,or S10 rear.There I built yer car for ya! What color should I paint it?

10. Budget36

Budget36

Seem it might be easier to mod the Chevy frame to your liking, than the Ford frame?

kidcampbell71 and X38 like this.
  11. Chevy frame is stronger than the Ford, would not necessarily need to be boxed with a big six, or a small block...

12. PLEASE KEEP THE CHEVY FRAME

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Model A frame is not even close to the Chevy!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. This is very true but he's building a fenderless Hot Rod that has a 2"X8" Wood timber for a inner body support and Plywood floors.

A TCI chassis is built from rectangle tube and is already so called Boxed. What's that going to hurt?

With a 4 link and coil overs there is no need for the Frame to stick out past the back of the Body. I doubt he will be leaving the spare tire hanging out back. All that's necessary is a short lookout to mount the back corners to the chassis.
    [​IMG]
    Look how close the end of the Body is to Axle center line. Here is a Frame under a 34 Chevy built out of rectangle tube and just on the other side through the door opening is a factory one. Notice the stand off for mounting the body. Also notice I did not use the Stock Wood 2"X8" for Body support. This new frame could just as easily been mounted under a Model A. It wouldn't know the difference.
    100_1904.jpg
    Ya, I've done a Ton of chassis stuff over my 50+ years hard at it. Now in my retirement I find I haven't slowed up much. Difference is it's all for me on my own stuff now. My advice for as long as I can remember has been," if someone's cast off will work for you, move you forward Months and the price is right Go buy it!" The only time you hand build something like this is if you just plain enjoy doing it. The other reason to build is because you Can't and you have the $$$$ to pay someone like me to do it for you. Time is priceless and it's the only thing you can't get more of. You want to Build or do you want to Drive?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  15. midroad

midroad

What gas tank are you going to use. You will need the original frame to use the original tank.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.