Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I Need some flathead expertise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ciscokid, Oct 15, 2020.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid

Thanks for chiming in Adam! I think I'm gonna go with your advice and just keep the mm oil in the gas tank only. It does have adjustable tappets. 20201015_113555.jpg

2. ciscokid

ciscokid

Hey Tubman,

Not quite sure of the displacement? I'll ask him when we talk again. However he did tell me that it's a 30-30 Isky cam if that makes any sense? I haven't had a chance to do any research on that yet. As far as the carburetors, he told me it ran great prior to him parking it. It doesn't run half bad at the moment even with the dead hole. Once I address that issue and with a lil bit of synchronizing I'm sure it's gonna run good (Prayers, and fingers crossed)!

3. Budget36

Budget36

Interesting, all the old timers I grew up around did this quite often, it;s no matter tho, in the end the engine will run or not:)

ciscokid likes this.
  4. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Did you check the valve lash on that cylinder while the intake was off

5. ciscokid

ciscokid

I didn't physically get a feeler gauge in there but I did notice a small gap between the valve stem and the adjuster while on the lowest point of the cam lobe.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It goes without saying that he more information you can get from your uncle, the better off we all are. He may think that what he knows is not that important, but believe me, it is.

I own a vintage dirt track race car that I bought on a whim. I took it to a race at a track in southern Minnesota a couple of years later, and to make a long story short, found out that the car was the Minnesota State Stock Car Champion in 1966. I followed up, and I met a lot of people who remembered my car. I now have a folder, about 2" thick with documentation.

Your uncle's car is very well done, and may have some significant history; It's important to us, and probably to you. I may be wrong, but why take the chance?

The car looks done to a high standard, and I expect it was a show car at some time in it's life. Get all the information that you can.

7. ciscokid

ciscokid

Hey Tubman,

You're absolutely correct! I am very fortunate that he is still here to give me any info, and history. My job and goal is to preserve what I consider to be a gift (the merc). This car is very well known around SF with the natives. He also just gave me a bunch of old black and white polaroids and pictures of when he did the chop. Doesn't get better than that! I agree, the story, and history of the car is priceless!

waxhead likes this.
  8. Please post some of the old pictures. We love pictures.

9. ciscokid

ciscokid

I'm going to pull the head and check the valve seats. I blasted the mm oil out from the #6 hole today (sat in the hole over night), did a cold compression test, and was able to reach almost 100 lbs. I put the top of the engine back together, fired it off, and drove it around (actually ran better). Checked the compression in #6 while the engine was hot and I was barely able to reach 50 lbs. I'm pulling more toward frozen rings. Won't know for sure until I check the seats. Any other feedback on that note is appreciated....

10. ciscokid

ciscokid

20200918_203146.jpg

11. ciscokid

ciscokid

12. ciscokid

ciscokid

13. ciscokid

ciscokid

14. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Just the right chop. My first glance impression was chopped limo, love it! I'm thinking the value of mordoor Merc's just went up a tick.....

Please ask you uncle about the Grant 200 MPH club decal on the firewall, there could be some neat additional history there as well.

Ed

15. Nice car - nice engine - nice uncle !

16. ciscokid

ciscokid

Thank you, thank you, and yes! He's an awesome uncle!