Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car registration & plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pumpman, Oct 14, 2020.

1. pumpman

pumpman

Sold an ot truck to a friend and he told me to register it there is a 2 month appointment back log here in Michigan. Any of you guys dealing with this because of Covid?

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yup. DMV guy told me yesterday there is a 3 month backlog in Cal. But the cops are still citing and having towed cars parked on the street with expired tags. Apparently no Covid problems with LE or the towing companies.

3. junkman8888

junkman8888

Here in Oklahoma, the backlog to get your driver's license renewed is roughly three months long. Part of it is due to the new machines taking 30-40 minutes to process your license (so they can only process around a dozen people a day) , part of it is due to the tag agencies being restricted to only ten customers in the building at a time.

4. Budget36

Budget36

We have several remote DMV offices, they charge an extra fee, but eat in and out. AAA does this too for customers, not sure about walkins

gimpyshotrods and Cosmo50 like this.

5. Boy did they get taken.No doubt cost the tax payers millions.

6. squirrel

squirrel

AZ has third party DMV services companies, you generally pay an extra $20 and they do things pretty quickly. The state has also increased the number of things you can do online, although titling an old car isn't one of them, unfortunately. Local official DMV office is appt only.

Every state does it differently....

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Took me almost three weeks to get an “appointment “ at DMV here but the catch was when I get there for my 2:00 “appointment “ I have to stand in a line outside DMV for over two hours and another hour inside.

I commented once inside that given the fact that you can renew your registration online, got to AAA to renew your license that the wait at DMV is no different than it was 45 years ago when I got my drivers license. They we not impressed with the feedback...... SHOCKER.

Cliff Ramsdell

Budget36 likes this.
  8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My brother made a same-day appt online at the SOS. This was back in May. A coworker sent his girlfriend over 100 miles to register a newly purchased car.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You would think you could do it all online by now

11. Yeah, South Carolina DMV has also implemented appointments only. HRP

As of April 6, 2020, the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV) implemented an appointment scheduler. We encourage customers to make an appointment to complete a transaction in person.

12. WV used to have third party services then a politician decided that we needed a DMV. Still closed. End of the year extensions issued on registrations, drivers license, and yearly inspections which are a joke. They say you can mail them in to Charleston and wait or make an appointment which the earliest is February of 2021 at our local DMV.

13. adam401

adam401

Ive been lucky. Ive been to the registry 4 times this year. Twice with old year of manufacture plates and "unconventional" paperwork and it was smooth as silk each time. Had to wait a bit for an appointment date that fit my work schedule but other than that I was in and out in record time.
    Maybe its because I used to live in Rhode Island where the DMV doesn't recognise the laws of time and space but CT even during covid is a huge improvement.

14. ...had a pickup that plates came due in March;...state moved the deadline to renew to end of Oct, and then to end of Nov....that's how back-logged they are, many DOT offices are short-handed due to employees with covid problems...this covid thing really affects everything we have to deal with in day to day situations.

15. pumpman

pumpman

So I guess it’s bad all over. Luckily for me I’m good through next year. Thanks for the replies guys, I was curious. But even with no Covid it’s a half a day at least ordeal here in Michigan.

16. bobscogin

bobscogin

Louisiana has third party agents too. They can do title transfers, issue driver's licenses and plates, notarize paperwork. It's been a great time saver and they're actually efficient and courteous because if they don't keep customers they go out of business, something that can't happen to the state DMV.
    Bob

17. 4ty

4ty

Here in CT you have to make an appointment or some New Car Dealers are doing registrations.
    Paul in CT

18. I got a new F-150 last week.......the dealer handed me a new registration card (not a temporary) within a half hour........Virginia DMV lets dealers complete the work on-line.

warhorseracing likes this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Mine are due in January, so I guess the wife will find out then.:rolleyes: I haven't been in the tag office in years, she always does it because I'm usually at work. :D

20. fordflambe

fordflambe

Here in south Texas you can walk into the county courthouse with all the correct paperwork and if everything is legit, be done in less than 10 minutes. Wear a mask though!

21. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

A few people mentioned AAA. When I bought my Studebaker a month ago I went to my local AAA. They were allowing walk-ins. It took me less than an hour to get the Stude in my name and insured at the same time. I didn't have an appointment either.

gimpyshotrods and warhorseracing like this.
  22. pkhammer

pkhammer

I bought the '51 the 1st week of August. Earliest appointment I could get for tags and title was September 30th, nearly two months........

23. Buz

Buz

Here in New York it is about a 90 day wait for an appointment. You can only go to a DMV office in your county. It was always faster to go to a smaller county with less population.

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just did registration at a AAA in Costs Mesa Ca. 3 cars in the lot, no wait

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

I live in IL. In early Sept, I had to renew my drivers license, renew the sticker on my truck plate, and I got one of those Real IDs, none of which was due until the end of Sept..
    I was at out local DMV at 8:30 am (they open at 9:00). I was the 8th person in line, social distancing, (marked on the outside sidewalk) and face mask. At 9, they opened a little window and you had to tell them what you were there to do, they gave you a number, and you went back to your car to wait for them to post your number in the window. They posted up 1-4 then after some those went through, they posted 4-7. After some those went through, they posted 8-10. I went in the building and had to wait in line, social distancing (marked on the carpet). When it was my turn up to the window, the entire process took about 15 minutes. I was walking out the exit door at just after 9:30. I was suppose to do the vision test, but was told they were not doing them because of the Covid, but the guy after me had to do one?

Anyway, I suspect by mid day it was probably a disaster, but the first thing on a Thursday morning wasn't bad. Gene

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AAA is worth the price of membership.

For those not in the know, in CA they can handle most DMV services.

Budget36 likes this.
  27. Paid the yearly tag on my Wisconsin T .The check cleared Sept 8.Havent gotten the sticker yet.Figure its a covid thing. I"ll give them a couple more weeks.

28. pumpman

pumpman

Wow, I figured this Covid thing would screw things up but glad to hear there are other ways to get it done. I’m going to do some homework to see what is the easiest way to get it done on here in Michigan. Thanks guys for sharing, very good info.

29. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

We recently moved to TN from IL. County Clerks handle applications for auto titles and licensing for the state. Our town has a satellite office in the city hall open one day a week. We had to wait in line about 10 minutes then it took about 20 minutes to get two cars titled and licensed. Easy peasy.
    Getting our drivers licenses was another story. We had to drive about 30 miles to a state Service Center. First had to get online and complete an application and make an appointment. But, we both got appointments for the next day. Had to wait outside until our appointment time. Social distancing and masks, of course. But once we had our turn it went quickly. No tests required, just surrender our IL licenses and get our pictures made.

30. cfmvw

cfmvw

I renewed my Maine drivers license online back in August. Funnily enough, I've been using the same picture on my license for the last fifteen years.