Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 283 and 327 Tech Tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Oct 15, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Since there are lots of people on the Hamb with lots of knowledge and experience with these two engines as well as a lot of interest in installing them in old hot rods, I thought it might be nice to post information specific to these two versions of the venerable smallblock. Since there are so many Chevys out there, its common to have some problems crop up. One of those problems is breaking in camshafts without destroying them. I was looking thru an old trade magazine thats dedicated to professional engine rebuilders, and I came across this tip. Thought I would share it by starting a thread dedicated to the technical things people have learned about these engines.
    Cam Bearing Problems 1 001.jpg
    Cam Bearing Problems 2 001.jpg

rbrewer, Deuces, irishsteve and 2 others like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Cool!.....

ekimneirbo likes this.
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Nice info...in all my years of building SBC's, I have never had cam go flat on start-up, but
    this is great stuff. I have a 327" on the stand now and I'm going to check it out! Thanks again.
    Bob

ekimneirbo likes this.
  4. Jokester

Jokester

I'm confused! Galley? Got a picture or diagram?

thx..

;.bjb

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Chevy Oiling 2.jpg
    SBCOilingx1.jpg
    With the crankshaft and the camshaft removed, check the size of the yellow highlighted passages.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. sdluck

sdluck

Storming Norman was a good guy and a fun racer @ Petaluma.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back it the earliest SBC days each rod and cap had a spit hole around the inner face or towards the center to oil the opposite side cylinder wall and the cam lobes. The bearings had a 1/2 hole facing each other.
    As I remember there were very few cams lost during that era of connecting rods. I still see rod bearings with the holes. Stock GMC 6 upper rod bearing shell have a hole that match’s the hole drilled in the rod to oil the cam. Never lost a cam with them either.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  8. Jokester

Jokester

OK, thanks. I get it. I checked between the crank and cam, but didn't have any thing long enough to check further. That will be tomorrow.

Thanks for clarifying. Great diagram.

.bjb

ekimneirbo likes this.