Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to punch holes in Moroso valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spillaneswillys, Oct 13, 2020.

1. What is the best way to punch breather/ filler holes in an old set of Moroso tin valve covers. I found a set without holes and not sure how it is done. Thanks, Joe

2. Greenlee punches.

caper, jimmy six, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A step drill would probably work ok. You would have to debut the inside of the hole with a half round file or some sandpaper on a dowel..

Driver50x and upspirate like this.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you use a step drill, it will help if you use some wood screws and washers to secure the valve cover to a board first. That way you wont be trying to drill it with one hand and hold with the other. Only need a couple screws holding it down, but it's much easier this way.

fauj, Driver50x, jim snow and 7 others like this.
  5. But . . . .that deprives the opportunity to bleed in your shop that day. What fun is that?

6. Don't forget a baffle after you've made the hole.

rockable likes this.
  7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Moroso covers?

railway spike and a BFH

das858, scotty t and 5window like this.
  8. Probably OT.

chevy57dude likes this.
  9. Are you mad ??? They are bringing big bucks now days - for the new kids on the block - wanting to duplicate dad's engine cover choice from picture's.

swade41 likes this.
  10. I would definitely look into what these valve covers are bringing before chucking a bit into that drill !

wulf powis likes this.
  11. The chrome ones are heavy MFers, steel I guess. Got 'em on an OT. But Morosos are OT here anyway. Wait for the lock..