Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 ford convertible help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carl.p, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. carl.p

carl.p
    from grimsby uk

hi could someone tell me or post a photo of were the air canisters are fixed at the bottom for the convertible roof my car was rotten all around the bottom so i have no idea thanks carl

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have been collecting as many floor details as possible This is the best that I have that that shows the cylinder in relation to the step in floor. If you have a good photo program it is possible to zoom in closer. The picture was on a site with the arrow to illustrate the single floor repair a fairly the pristine body being restored.

Attached Files:

3. carl.p

carl.p
    from grimsby uk

Thank you buddy

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

40 Conv Floor Cropped.jpg
    The ph0to was kind low resolution to work with but maybe this will help.Glenn do you have a higher resolution version of this floor?

5. patterg2003

patterg2003

This is the best image that I have. I blew it up as much as I could and unfortunately it is not the best resolution. My convertible has the cylinders missing otherwise I could snap a picture for you. If you ask on the Fordbarn there may be someone
    40 Conv Floor 2.jpg 40 Conv Floor.jpg

6. patterg2003

patterg2003

If you click on the picture it will expand. In the upper right corner ther is an arrow in thebox. Click on the arrow in the box and it will expand again. Then you can right click on the inamge and go save as to save it in the larger size on your PC.

Attached Files:

7. patterg2003

patterg2003

Here is a parts drawing that may help make as well. Again click on the thumbnail it will expand then click on the arrow in the box and it will expand again then save that to your PC. I hope this makes adds some more clarity.

Attached Files:

The 39 guy likes this.
  8. patterg2003

patterg2003

I converted the parts drawing & photos to a letter size in a different format that you can print out. Its the best I can do with the quality of the photos pulled from the www. I have squirrelled a few photos on the floors that I will send your way tomorrow. I have to call it a night as it is 1:30am here.
    Take care
    Glenn

Attached Files:

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    That is the type of drawing I spent an hour or two looking for last night Glenn. I am glad you had it on hand. I have always been curious about the 40 system. My 39 has a power system but it was disconnected when I bought the car and I have never tried to hook it up due to the way the interior and last top iron are configured. Carl should be able to figure out the placement with your help.

10. patterg2003

patterg2003

Hi Sam,
    I learned how to store and catalog vendor literature from my early engineering days all the literature was a hard copy. I have my computer 40 Ford file set up like a file cabinet with folders and sub folders so I can usually find what I have. It would be nice if there was a comprehensive manual for the 40 Fords. I bought the AACA 1940 Ford restoration guide but it is too high level for what I need. Thank heaven for the internet & that a person may get lucky enough to find what they looking for. The power 40 top was a nice touch in its day.
    There are vendors that use mustang convertible hydraulic drives with hydraulic cylinders sized for the 40 Ford. The gentleman that sold me the car showed me a couple pictures with himself & other convertibles that he owned. He said that he had one that did not have the cylinders and it is easy to open and close the top by hand. Time will tell what works.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  11. Frank Compoccio

Frank Compoccio

Looking for help finding hydraulic cylinders for my 40 Convertible. Every thing is missing from my car so I have no measurements. I can make the clevis' but need to find something that fits. I have a good GM pump I just need to find cylinders. Any help would be appreciated guys.

12. patterg2003

patterg2003

13. Frank Compoccio

Frank Compoccio

14. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm not the seller, but there's a guy selling an original pair on ebay right now for $400 or best offer. Also they are vacuum not hydraulic.

olscrounger likes this.