Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 265 Exhaust Manifolds on Dual Quad 327

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Oct 13, 2020.

1. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Thats why most '56 dual quad vettes had these
    56_dip_stick_4a2ec9968127a7c72cd16a35d1de61bb49717dba.jpg

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

On my "spare" 327, sitting on a roll-a-round engine stand, that has rams-horns exhaust manifolds on it, from the "top" of the manifolds (highest point), to the collector flange (lowest point), is 7-1/2 inches. These are the "straight down" collector style, not the "angled back" style. That does't leave you hardly any room, and you'd have to angle your header pipe forward on the drivers side of the engine. Could you "raise" the engine up an inch or so for a little more room? If you have the 55-56 log style manifolds, I'd just use those; JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

-Brent- likes this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Here's a better view of the back area. It's all very tightly packed.

Rear of 327 Ford F1 Steering Box Model A.jpg Rear of 327 Ford F1 Steering Box.jpg

kidcampbell71, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. From the 70"s on Chevy made a smog manifold thats low under the ports,and dumps in the rear.It has a big dip in one side to clear power steering boxes.

loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It "looks" like a pair of the Fenton (reproduced) 1957, Chevrolet, Black Widow, exhaust manifolds might fit in there, be different, and from the right era. They pair two exhaust ports into one, or two on each side, and then a "Y" pipe connects them; unless you want four exhaust pipes and mufflers. Maybe someone can throw a photo of them up?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. lowrd

lowrd

What ever happened to the process to port heads with some kind of gritty material Using hydraulics and is it still available? Could this be used on the manifold if needed.

7. Extrudehone is the name I remember from back in the day. I remember reading the article in Hot Rod or Car Craft when I was in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Butch, way back those were one of my first considerations. I sold a set of originals after I got the Hedman's.

The rearward outlet dropped right near the steering box. Also, they were very heavy.

loudbang likes this.
  9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Ah man...! Haha. Seriously though, thanks for that. Where's it from?

@Tman I've been trying to push off building headers because I'm trying to keep it simple (and use restraint). Wild headers or headers that go out and through the fender are off the table, for me. When I got the Hedman's I thought it would be great to either modify the driver's side or build something that has a similar vibe.

But man, those 265 manifolds checked off a few boxes for me... fit, cost, ease of use but they're limiting the thing we all love, letting the engine breathe. Also, I have a fresh (but unknown) 331 sitting and that could get a bit spicy. It would really suck to have to redo an exhaust instead of getting the 331 right and dropping it in.

loudbang and arkiehotrods like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I move got a set of the big exit vette ram horns that have been port matched to some better heads that I bet would work. My 46 has a ram horn pointing damn near right at the steering box and they snuck a bend in there fast enough to work and you’ve got more room than there is in the 46.

I can shoot you photos of both situations?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    loudbang, arkiehotrods and -Brent- like this.
  11. I think it was in a Faucet little book, I have a set of those 265 manifolds and they are tiny, been riding the shelf for years, I just can't see them on anything I own. There were a pair of ram horns on Facebook marketplace for a hundred bucks today.

12. Joe H

Joe H

Can you run the manifolds flipped side to side? Rear exit would then be front exit, seems you have plenty of room towards the front of the motor.

loudbang and Tim like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hot rodders have been modifying their exhaust systems since the first modified car. These “good enough for the factory” guys don’t have the balls or the brains to break out the tools and improve something. If the engineers had their way all cars would have a well designed header-like manifold of some sort (just look under an old Toyota Previa van) but the bean counters always prevail. Those 265 manifolds are almost as bad as the logs Ford saddled all of the Low-po 352-390 FE motors with.
    Six 1 5/8” U-bends, two head flanges, about 6” of 2 1/2” straight pipe, four 3 bolt outlet flanges and a few hours and you can make a “tubing manifold” style header to go right through that opening in the pictures. Just copy the style of the Hedman headers you have. It’s traditional.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

That was what I intended to do. Even though it would allow me to drop a neat exhaust tube right were I want it, the 265 manifolds are just too restrictive.

Seeing the evolution if manifolds (especially those built for the higher power engines models) it definitely backs up that I need to run something with more flow.

You are a million percent correct. Not much more to say beyond that.

Sometimes I have to wear out my "good idea" before I move onto the right thing to do.

I love the collectors on these old Hedman's, I'm going to try to retain them. They'll hardly be seen but that's like a lot of details on my car.

Truly, fellas, thanks for the conversation. I learned a lot.

loudbang likes this.
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^Those two bolt collector rams horns used on the early Corvette's are extremely rare; I've only ever seen one pair, they were only in a display, and not for sale^^^. I actually think the three bolt look better. I am butch/56sedandelivery

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Brent, the theme of your car needs something on the order of these. Get the flanges from Bob, some bends, and start cutting and welding. IMG_4931.JPG

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't want to go outside, like that.

I always pictured running an exhaust down, under and out the sides, like this:

Side Exit Model A Coupe Exhaust .jpg

I'm going to get a flange cut that matches the Hedman's and repurpose the collector on the driver's side Hedman.

kidcampbell71, Deuces and Tman like this.
  18. -Brent-

-Brent-

I mocked the vintage Hedman and it ended up where I could find two bolt holes to line up so that I could hang the header with the outlet in the right spot. I'd need to move the collector a little more than 4" forward.

This messes with my mind. Haha. There's a local guy who is decent at header fab. I'm going to see what he thinks. These guys look at these situations differently. If we can come up with something that doesn't look god-awful goofy. I'll go for it.

Block Hugger to Clear F1 Steering Box 327 Model A.jpg

Block Hugger to Clear Steering Box 327 Model A F1 Box.jpg

19. GM made some bigger manifolds for Corvettes. But that was a later option. The mainstay of hot rodding was the antler manifold (rams horns) or the rear dump truck manifolds for ages.

If you are handy with a dremel and are willing to take the time you can get cast manifolds and hawg 'em out. its work but it can be done.

-Brent- likes this.
  20. -Brent-

-Brent-

@porknbeaner in the 60s, there were 2.5" outlet ram horns. With a 45⁰ bend I could probably just clear the steering box but I'd likely boil it, too.

A pipe or set of them that drops through this hole would be the most ideal.

21. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Would it be possible to mill the port side of the 2&1/2" manifolds to gain a little more clearance and maybe with very slight angle? Of course you'd have to angle drill bolt holes, dress the bolt surface a like amount and match the ports.

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

I spent an hour, here and there, looking at SBC header options and came across this. Well, actually, I flipped this image. I saw it and realized if I flipped it, it would be close to what I'm imagining... just with the vintage Hedman collectors and flange.

I know it would be difficult to make an unequal length header look like it's related to the block hugger on the other side, but if I were to run a header, that's what I'd like to do.

Header Similar To This.jpeg

Dan Hay likes this.