Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1956 Ford Fairlane Club Coupe grille ideas...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1stGrumpy, Oct 14, 2020.

1. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

YES on the taping of the verticals... (if you MUST change that beautiful sharklike sculpture!)

3. 6sally6

6sally6

8.1Emergency eye bleach.jpg

warhorseracing and 40StudeDude like this.
  4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Correct on the 'not '58 Impala'...and not custom made. Thanx for the compliment on the scoops-I like to consider them 'thinking outside the box"...!!! Believe it or not those are genuine GM scoops-1960 vintage...from the rear of a Chevy Corvair...now go try to place them...
    R-

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I was thinking of using a ‘55 desoto grille or a tube grille in my 55. I agree the original grills are attractive but when I finally rebuild this car that I have owned since 1990 I want to customize it. Swapping grills was one of the most common custom modifications on the 50’s cars. See the link below.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/desoto-grills.1107268/

1stGrumpy likes this.
  6. IMO, if you want to mess with the most beautiful design ever to come out of any design studio just take it out and do not replace it with anything.

lothiandon1940 and 6sally6 like this.
  7. sololobo

sololobo

Mr. Conservative here, I love the original grille and taillights. I have seen the original taillights with that trim removed around the center section somehow as it has a tendency to lose it's luster. check out blacking out the vertical bars on the grille, I think cutting them out would not give it enough support. Very nice looking conservative custom and I know we all want to do some touches to make a car our own, best wishes on your ride.

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    You could look for a 'Star' grill that was used in Australia on their Utes,, I think they came Canada

1stGrumpy likes this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

As stated earlier, Meteor. IMO '56 is the best but '55 isn't too bad.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

I’m not a fan of a tube grille in an older vehicle, but flat- horizontal bars , in my opinion, look better. I like a ‘56 Chevy car grill with the vertical bars taken out. I might be off on custom touches, but just what I like

11. sololobo... No, I'm not going to cut the grille. It's in too nice of shape to be cutting on it. I am going to either paint or tape the vertical's. I may look around for a '55 Plymouth grill, like Mick suggested, though.

12. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Grump, I am sure you will come up with something cool. I usually think a little more out side of the box and do not always follow the Hamb 64 and older rules . For example on my on my 51 because of the oval grill surround I built using another 51 upper surround and custom forming the radius outer corners kind a 53 Chevy style and being a mid 60's Mustang guy I took the center of a 67 mustang front bumper and optional 67 fog lights and created a 53 Chevy ish grill. Off topic styling here , but so is the 70's E body Mopar pistol grip shifter I am going to use, but I turned 16 in 1971 so I am off topic anyhow! lol Lots of combination's from the 50's and early 60's that could come together with out breaking the bank because they are the "traditional " choice's. I also get a kick out of the fact that guys like you ask about idea's to customize your car on a custom car forum and most guys say "LEAVE IT STOCK"!! What the H-----l o_Oo_Oo_O If it was a mint Crown Vic or a Convert I can see. But a 2 door post, or even a hardtop or convert that needs work is future custom dream material!:):) Go for it. Larry

Outback and 1stGrumpy like this.
  13. Same thing I did with my very first car, a 56 Fairlane.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. Got the 1960 Dodge Dart tail lights installed today, looks much better!
    100_1900.JPG
    Still haven't found a '55 Plymouth grille yet, though!

16. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looks good, what did you end up with for the grill?

17. Still have the stock grille in it, haven't found anything suitable yet... 59.JPG

Outback and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I found your thread while thinking about custom grills for my 55 Ranch. 2021-08-06 20.26.24.png

nosford, 1stGrumpy and guthriesmith like this.
  19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I think it's hard to top your stock grille, other than to black out the verticals.
    Too often it's just change for the sake of change and that's not always kool.
    Then again, the tube grille on the powder blue one looks awfully good. I also like
    the idea of the Dodge taillights. They don't have the lumpy look of the Merc
    units, no offense intended to all of you who've chosen them.

I often wonder how the black plastic egg crate grille of a '67-'68 Camaro
    would look on a car like yours. With all the trick ways of manufacturing
    custom made car items, I'd thing there'd be someone with the ability to
    make a similar one.

zzzzzzzs-l300.jpg

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Takes work but a 58-60 T-Birds look great.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  21. I've always thought a '58 Ford car front bumper would look nearly the same but less work. Cut away all but the top lip of the '56 grill, install the bumper and the grill/turn signals of your choice. The bumper may need slight narrowing, haven't done a measurement for that.

22. crapgame

crapgame

1st Grumpy, the front of your '56 Club looks like mine, except that you're one step (at least) ahead of me because mine has the hood ornament. I LOVE the look of the tube grill on the powder blue Fairlane you posted. Losing the bumperettes (is that what they're called?) and hiding the turn signals really clean things up, as well. Since it's your money and not mine, I really think you ought to spring for the $600 aftermarket tube grille. Then you can post photos after it's installed, and shame me into doing the same thing.

Attached Files:

• #2.jpg
      #2.jpg
      File size:
      83.5 KB
      Views:
  23. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

We did the same thing back in the 50's and 60's. It was a cheap tube grill.

24. I like the Dodge taillights on a '55 or '56 Bird better than on a full size Ford. '59 Buick taillights are also a bolt on and look good.