Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dash gauge for 50 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Oct 14, 2020.

1. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi All,

I'm thinking of replacing my 50 Fleetline Deluxe speedo/gauge cluster with something newer and modern internals. Among the reasons is corrosion, particularly the chrome bezel. The car is getting a SBC, T5, power steering, power disk brakes etc, so I'm not super concerned about originality but I do want somewhat on a 50's appearance. I have been looking online and the prices for replacement clusters is all over the place, $150-$950. Has anyone had experience with this and can make a recommendation for a decent quality gauge at a reasonable price? That works...?

Thanks for any help!

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This may OR may not apply to your question but in the early 80's I had a '50 Chevy P/U. Stock was a 5" or so speedo & a 5" or so gauge cluster, oil, temp, gas, amp.
    In my back yard I had a wrecked '75 Corvette that I had already retro fitted the 350, 4 speed, and front clip to the '50 Chevy p/u. After checking out the Vette gages I found that the speedo & Tach. would both fit behind the stock bezel and back housing with very little work. The '50 p/u speedo housing even had an indent for the '75 trip adjust mechanism on the back. The other gauges I simply installed in the un used radio speaker grill in middle of dash. Moral of story, think out of the box!

VANDENPLAS likes this.