Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 400 SBC budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57bentley, Oct 13, 2020.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

2. 57bentley

57bentley
    from okc

They are 906 heads

Speed Gems likes this.
  3. 34Phil

34Phil

Let's shift a bit. If it's a daily driver you want to burn regular. If it's a toy, you can do premium. I've been through the water injection, carrying a distributor wrench to adjust for weather, adding additives, etc. but it was a long while ago. What are some actual experiences, not read that you can add a point for alum. heads, run a big cam, etc. Give CR, cam, gears & tire dia., weight, modern combustion chamber or old bathtub, elevation.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

After building my last SBC with higher compression, and lots of performance stuff, I quickly found that although it's a fun car to drive on street or strip, I get tired of even premium gas not being high enough octane, and having to add octane booster, or race gas to make it run better.
    So when I put my current SBC together I went for all the performance stuff I wanted, but chose everything based on my target of 9.0-9.5 compression. I wish I'd done the same with my other car as I love this engine! It runs fantastic, and whether I put premium or even crappy regular in it, it still runs great. Plenty of performance for a mostly street driven car, and still no screwing around with octane boosters or race gas mixing.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, the 906 heads are not good news. You are really to the point that you need to confirm the piston compression height and what machine you are, are not, going to do to the block and run your data through a CR calculator. At the moment you have a collection of parts, that when assembled, could leave you real disappointed with the results.,

Driver50x and Atwater Mike like this.