Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheel color- I know what I want, watdoyouthink ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mitch 36, Oct 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8ACF3398-436F-446A-A86B-C7168DABC0F9.jpeg OK, here we go, beating a REALLY DEAD HORSE here !!! I bought a set of 15x6 + 15x7 Wheel Vintiques oem wheels from Summit and I’m going to replace the Cragar SS wheels on my 36. I “KNOW” what color I’m painting them (Black) , gonna run small caps ( haven’t found the ones I want yet, thinking 61 Chevy) . Just curious what color you guys would choose, you’re not going to change my mind or offend me with your choices. And no I’m not thinking RRRRED. If you mods want to delete this because of redundancy you won’t hurt my feelings. Have at it guys...Mitch

Jim Bouchard and Stu D Baker like this.
  2. 1pickup

1pickup

I think it's about time you took those ugly wheels off your great looking truck.

KevKo, tb33anda3rd and Deuces like this.
  3. I hear you, It had 49 Chevy wheels and caps on it when I originally built it but I ditched them for the Cragars, BRAIN FART. The Cragars will go into holding in case I run across a 67 GTO !! Mitch.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Deuces and Jim Bouchard like this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I think black is a good choice. It will look great with dog dish caps.

Jim Bouchard likes this.

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I agree with Arkiehotrods, above. My one thought if not black would be a very light buttercream, with
    a pinstripe in matching green to your color. For dog dish caps, if it were mine I would think about
    a flatter style, versus a "cone" or volcano style.

Bottom line, you're going to get more opinions than you'll ever want. Just do what YOU like.
    That's what it really is all about as a rodder. Otherwise we'd all be having to drive rice burners.

guthriesmith and Latigo like this.
  6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

The truck should look great with black wheels, along with a small touch of chrome hub cap.

7. Bob, I fully intend to paint them black, it’s just that curiosity is killin the cat. I was also looking at the 70s nova caps- baby moons with the bow tie. The’re very simple and clean looking ( although too new for on here) actually what ever caps fall in my lap are the ones going on it !! I actually used to have a shit load of Chevy hub caps but I gave them all away to friends, oh well...Mitch

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like the cream with green pinstripe idea. Baby moons and beauty rings. There, that's settled!

guthriesmith and Latigo like this.
  9. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I like the black.
    It goes with the fenders.

10. Latigo

Latigo

I vote for cream and the pinstripe. Black sounds boring. Or maybe Kabota orange.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Or 1932 Ford .:p Or cars with ‘32 grills.

12. where are the usual photoshop pics???? Is Moose still out there:)

13. I thought all wheels had to be red?:D

14. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Kinda funny, but when I opened your thread and saw your truck with the Cragers I got a nostalgic type of love for the look.... Sounds corny , but my brain said immediately "I LIKE!! I cant identify it but probably when I was a kid I saw some truck that I really was impressed with, Anyway I'm sure your truck will look great with whatever you choose.

15. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

16. adam401

adam401

I like the Cragers myself. Theyd look rad with redlines

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  17. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

just on green chevy coupes

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. I know you aren't looking for anyone to change your mind...but, I have to agree with the cream with green pinstripe idea. I think it would be a great accent to the overall look of the truck.

19. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Mitch, just saw your plates...Horseless Carriage...gotta love paying $14.99 for 5yrs!!

Bob

20. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I like red but on my old 41 Ford pickup I had cream colored wheels with early ford hupcaps DSC00323.JPG

charleyw likes this.
  21. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I may be a bit partial to black......

22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-10-14_4-59-52.png
    Forget the errors in reporting the facts on the Impala. It was written by a new freshman reporter that thought he would embellish the story his way. Wrong facts made it a laughing matter all over school for the last publication of the 1962 graduating year. It was funny, though…magnesium wheels and a B&M Hydro…ha! As if a teenager could afford real magnesium wheels and a B&M trans.

Hello,

Your choice of black rims and small hubcaps sounds pretty great. We all have our likes and dislikes. But, like most questions, it is always your choice. Those S/S wheels are nice, although they do not make the truck look any better. As a matter of fact, to me they look out of place in this situation. Stick with your choice of black rims and small hubcaps.

On our 1958 black Impala, we had black rims and put on a small Chevy center hubcap to offset the black on black look. It looked mean and cool. But, a friend gave me a set of Chevy beauty trim rings that fit the rim and now, the whole rim looked like a chrome reversed wheel.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pics-of-58-chevies.951592/page-24#post-13490151

upload_2020-10-14_5-1-18.png
    For the rest of the senior year and into the next few years until I sold the Impala to finance college, this was the everyday look. It remained this look, a single hubcap look, or all black on black look, for some intimidation. It depended on where we were going cruising and a possible street encounter.

Jnaki

Stick with your choice of looks for your truck. You have already gone the red look with small hubcaps, so give it some change during the green stage. It fits with Evergreen, too…

1959 Chevy small center hubcap
    upload_2020-10-14_5-3-10.png

SAMPLES OF SMALL CHEVY HUBCAPS ON DIFFERENT CHEVY TRUCKS:
    upload_2020-10-14_5-32-36.png

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I changed my mind on what color to paint my car but the wheels will remain red.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. You can't go wrong with black. It's a safe color..... but I'm personally sort of tired of it.
    I'd go a step darker than the cream suggestions to a manilla tan.

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

And I was gonna say get some Torque Thrusts, they look good on almost everything!

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  26. I was talking with my wifey about it ( imagine that!!)and she suggested maybe the interior color, Rustoleum rusty red primer with a satin clear coat. I've heard a lot of good ideas but I'm still stuck on black, I really do like the looks of the 58 hub caps that JNAKI posted. This is fun !! Mitch

jnaki likes this.
  27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

green and a nice black pinstripe

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAMB friendly wheels on my not so HAMB friendly 2018 F-150. Won’t show it all so I won’t get kicked off. Truck is race red. Wheelsmith in Corona Ca. made them for me AC37E0FC-A4D2-4877-8BEE-1C8D825332FF.jpeg

jnaki, tb33anda3rd and olscrounger like this.
  29. Yes Mitch, yes you are and sorry I couldn't help it. HRP

[​IMG]

30. I’m with you Danny. Alright Mods, close this down. Bad idea on my part ......slow day in Mitch’s world.....Mitch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.