Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Summit crate 350 - nightmare

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by striper, Oct 13, 2020.

1. We can all speculate on the how, who, where, but the bottom line you've already realized..no recourse.
    Sucks to be sure, but putting it behind you the sooner the better is now your best course of action.
    Good luck with the rest of your build, and thanks for posting, so we can all form our possibly new opinion of Summit and GM, and formulate how/if we deal with them in the future.

striper and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You mentioned it was in plastic? Was the plastic over the crate, or over the engine inside the crate? If the engine was wrapped in plastic, inside the crate, I'm amazed that fresh water found it's way under the plastic, and in such a large quantity to put a couple gallons inside the engine?
    It looks like it sat outside with no plastic covering it for a long period.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Two words; flood damage.
    Scoggin-Dickie is in Texas and over the last couple years they’ve had hurricanes, heavy rain and flooding in several parts of the state. Even if S-D isn’t in a flood zone it may have been on a truck or in a remote depot that was. The outside dries in the hot Texas sun and no one notices. I’m not sure who would be responsible. Other than sabotage, which seems unlikely, that’s the only way that much water could penetrate the packaging.
    At least it appears to be salvageable and you’ll have the piece of mind of knowing exactly what’s inside your engine when you put it into service. It’s still a piss off though.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas57, rod1, blowby and 7 others like this.
  4. That amount of water is not from some condensation. I agree it is from another source, and bchctybob's suggestion of flooded warehouse could be right. Can you see any water damage line on the shipping crate, or on the plastic bag wrapping the engine? Flood would leave some evidence.
    I'm sorry for your problem and being half way around the world makes it easy for a company or companies to just blow you off, when you in fact have a legit claim.

lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.
  5. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

My opinion is that that motor sat outside for a long time. water sat on the intake deep enough and long enough to seep down the gaskets and rust the tops of all the ports and the rust flake around the exposed edges tell the tale of the time sat, I dont see the bag near the crate , was it covered? was it disturbed when you first opened it? Could of been a return? The crates I have had [2] they were bagged very good. Sucks either way ,but i wouldnt give up , even though its traveled through too many folks, good luck,

6. Wow! That pan was FULL.

7. mkubacak

mkubacak

Scoggin-Dickie is in Lubbock. That is about 500 miles from the Gulf. It is about 3200' in elevation. Lubbock receives about 15" of rain a year.

It sucks that this happened, About the only way you will ever know for sure is if some miracle camera footage surfaces.

Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had several of the GM crate engines and they have all been inside a plastic covering inside a wooden crate. I suspect sabotage especially since it's fresh water and not salt water. I suspect some asshole along the way with a grudge against someone did the deed.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  9. jim snow

jim snow

X2. Snowman

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That is indeed bullshit. But I'm curious as to why you bought an engine from Summit. Is there no dealers in Oz that could have provided an engine? It's not like it is an exotic.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm just curious; are't there any "G.M. Dealers" in Australia that sell these "crate engines"? Meaning could you have just bought one there, and thereby avoided ALL of this? Not faulting you at all however!!! IF the block needs to be bored, I can help you out with some NEW, NOS, forged, 2 valve relief, FOR EXPORT ONLY, .030 over pistons, and you can have them for shipping costs only. I bought two sets of these FOR EXPORT ONLY pistons, and was going to buy the remaining set, but someone beat me to those. They don't make these pistons any longer, unless you go with the specialty aftermarket. Just doing my part to help out a fellow HAMBER. I'll send you a P.M.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey Butch, if you send them make sure they are triple wrapped in plastic and placed in an absolutely watertight container...

13. I've never seen anything like that before. My opinion is that something extraordinary has happened. We can all guess but I don't think anyone will have a concrete answer. It's a shame that you are without recourse. Best wishes in your outcome.

VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That's a given, but they'd probably go as air cargo due to the size. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I know that when I shipped a few things to Australia, the items sat at the shipper in a shipping container for months until they got a load big enough to ship.
    It's cringe worthy to think about the items sitting in a uncontrolled environment for a period of time for shipping. It's drop and store at most shippers.
    But yours looks more like sabotage.
    Good luck with it.

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I sold a couple axes (side-hobby) to a guy in Canada. Shipped from Michigan Feb 10, 2020. He got them this past weekend....7 months! Thank goodness I over-packed them and they were undamaged and rust free. Just goes to show that even though they didn't go very far, they sat god knows where for a long time waiting to get sent to the destination....

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Summit & GM are on my "Do Not Buy From" list if they don't step up. Was it insured? if so by who?

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  18. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

An ongoing saga on a mustang board Im on.......guy orders a 300hp 302 ford from blueprint - arrives with rust on the machined surfaces - bluprint blamed being bagged too soon after the dyno break in and sent him a new motor COMPLETLY ON THEIR DIME - the second motor arrived the SAME WAY - blueprint jumped on the thread and has promised to make it right with an upgraded engine - again on their dime......I know, a different situation - but they could have told him to pound sand the first time......sorry for your problem, sucks to have to rebuild a new engine

19. BJR

BJR

I guess we can all learn something from this.... If you ship a motor anywhere leave the oil pan drain plug out. If a disgruntled employee pours water in it it runs out, rain while stored outside, it runs out, mice, will not fit through the drain plug hole. And I feel your pain, it sucks to spend a lot of money on a new motor that you have to rebuild.

Nicholas Coe and striper like this.
  20. I find it difficult to believe Summit
    Had anything to do with your problem.

'49 Ford Coupe, Hnstray and 5window like this.
  21. Not GM dealers, but multiple independent suppliers.

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Was it a brand new crate engine from GM and sold through Summit or a remanufactured engine sold through Summit but remanufactured by one of the many builders that supply both Summit and Jegs and others????

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. striper

striper

Thanks for the posts guys. I’m not expecting anything out of posting this other than a warning to others, venting about my predicament and some entertainment for you all.

To answer a few questions:
    I bought from Summit because I was shipping a C10 from the US and I loaded the bed with parts to save shipping. I’ve bought a fair bit from them before, but never again.

I could have bought locally at double the money. Probably about even now.

The engine was in plastic inside a timber crate. I didn’t inspect the plastic when I opened it up, just took a knife and cut the bag off.

The international part of the shipping was in a sealed container and it shipped pretty quickly once it reached the docks. This most likely happened before it left the US.

The only insurance was for total loss while at sea.

I should probably clarify that these engines are shipped without an intake so they rely heavily on the plastic wrapping to be done properly and to be intact.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

One would think a crate motor in general, especially one destined for 'Strya, would be sealed up. What were they thinking?

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Couldn't the water be tested for tap water vs. rain water vs. flood water.. maybe even the area it came from.

But it sounds like you're over it.

26. my guess you paid for it with a credit card or paypal? Do a dispute on it, chances are you will probably get your money back

27. I've bought a few crate engines through Summit. Definitely will be rethinking that in the future. Even if I 'am stateside.

Sorry you have to deal with this. No one should have to.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im not sure why Summit could be expected to step up here as its been through way too many hands after it left their wharehouse. Perhaps if they had shipped it direct to the OP but blaming them in this instance seems somewhat unfair. Having shipped quite a few bikes, cars and parts ex USA in my experience anything could have happened. I had a 3W 32 body with no floor and doors removed packed vertically on its cowl.... just so the shipper could sneak a 3rd party person's bike in and that was with one of the reputable shippers out of LA. In that same shipment there were several engines on pallets that had been clearly stored outside which resulted in cleaning costs.

spook498, Hnstray, fauj and 4 others like this.
  29. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Why would you blame them it has been through what 4 shippers and more miles on a boat than most cars on here are run in a year or two

30. striper

striper

Yes, credit card purchase. But there’s obviously been a fair bit of time pass in this adventure. It’s probably worth asking the question though.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS and bchctybob like this.