Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy Heater Core

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54FISH, Oct 13, 2020.

1. 54FISH

54FISH

I'm tossin it out there . Seen all the heater core threads ,but I need a core . I have Convertered to V8. Now one shop tells me that the 6 cyl. Core will not hold up to V8 pressures . If it can be recored , internals need to be updated to new style cores to withstand pressures . More $$ . Anyone agreeing or doubting this !? I tell ya ,Now I know why people dig tri fives ( everything available at their catalog finger tips) F'n 53/54' s , ya gotta have a sense of humor to deal with these cars . I'm on high strength CBD & don't think it's enough !!! Oh by the way , anyone want to notch & bag the rear for me , I got $$$ .

2. Don't go to that 'one' shop, they're blowin' smoke.. Chevy used the same radiator cap '54-57, now if you're planning on seriously raising cooling system pressure to modern levels you might have a problem but I doubt it... If your core is in good condition, it should work just fine. If you don't have one, have whatever you get pressure tested at 15 lbs to insure it's good.

Tman likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

X2 what Crazy Steve said. You also may want to hook a garden hose to it and reverse flush it. I have done that to many heaters that didn't heat well and you would not believe the crud that came out of them with a backwards flush.

4. Heater cores are pretty simple, clean it up/out, fill it with water, leave it for a while, see where the leak is (usually at a soldered joint, which can be repaired), solder, and re-test. Put a few PSI of air behind it (no more than the cap pressure) if you have a compressor with a regulator. That reminds me of a shop I went to when I was young and silly, that told me I needed "a V8 coil, because a 4 cyl coil won't work". So I smelled BS, went home and removed the coil from a 2 cyl car and put it on my 283, and it ran like a watch!

DeltaBravo(DB) likes this.

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I have built at least 15 hot rods from old Chevy's of the 30's and 40's, and I can tell you that the stock
    core will be just fine. I have used 12-15lb caps with NO issues. Find another shop for your needs.

6. 54FISH

54FISH

Thanks for the replies ! Yeah I kinda thought it was BS too . I rigged up a heater hose ,3/8 fuel line & tire valve ( Schrader) with clamps . Hooked to bike pump & barely got a couple pumps & heard hissing . Bike pump was Bellow 10psi & leak is dead center in core fins & looks like a leak on side fins too . A shop near me says they can record for $250 ballpark. Can't find anyone else to touch the core or any for sale on internet , just the round style . Cross my fingers at $250 & hope they can replace core .

7. BJR

BJR

Speaking of BS, where did you find a 2 cylinder car? What make and year. Never heard of such an animal in the USA.

8. That shop is full of shit. Have the core tested, if it is good it can't tell if there is a 6 or v8 under the hood. Thousands of folks have done this before you.

9. little red 50

little red 50

Check this out on you tube. I had the same dilemma. I followed what he did and I think it cost me about $37.00. Its still working great 8 years later

10. If you do some digging you can find a core that will fit or another good core for far less that $250.. EDIT, see above post^^^^^^^^^^

11. Here is a scan of an old Rodders Digest article that may help some folks. I have posted it a few times.

Attached Files:

12. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I just had my heater core that had 3 major leaks fixed for $95, in 2 days. Only one shop left that does the
    work, as they bought out all of the competitors. Great job, though. While you're in there, are you
    replacing the 6 volt blower motor with a 12 volt? I found a great VDO replacement at O'Reilly's
    for $29. Same VDO number as you'll see on the web or other car sites.

The part number is PM354.

13. That's because it wasn't in the U.S.- Fiat 500.

BJR likes this.
  14. brading

brading

15. little red 50

little red 50