Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who builds the best aftermarket 32 chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh, and rjays built the chassis for the gold digger, Greys model A coupe. So that checks boxes for your 60’s style drag styling. That sucker pulls the wheels like crazy

Just Gary and Roothawg like this.
  2. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

Henry Richards at Steadfast mfg. Not cheap but they are the best. That's my opinion but I could be a little biased.
    IMG_20200519_175303.jpg Resized_20200220_120030_4146.jpeg

anthony myrick and Roothawg like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hawg, this may not directly answer your question and maybe I'm just thinking out loud here but............the only way I can respond to this first statement is based on (that one) "you could buy one for" that you may be using as a comparison.
    First, in my case there was a well known California builder that I easily could have chosen to build a chassis for me, I just didn’t like some of the design and materials used for their inner structural sections, yes, they were more affordable but decided to choose otherwise.
    The other thing I respond to many times when people question the difference in price between builders comes up is many builders don't even try to attract customers because they are the cheapest, it just isn't what they want to be known for.
    I've never been one to base decisions on components and labor solely on price, and the people that do usually have a bitch after THEY have made that choice.
    As mentioned, most of the previous examples should produce more than acceptable results, may cost slightly more but either way there has to be a line of communication with the builder to know there will be no surprises later.

Roothawg likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One other thing is that some builders won't stray from their particular chassis layout, that is the value in having those that are willing to "custom" build a chassis to your personal preferences.

Roothawg likes this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mine would be a pretty bland build for most. Just a set of boxed rails, front and rear x members and pinched for a 30.

Tim likes this.
  6. "Pinched for a 30"?
    You mean a Model A body on 32 rails?
    That might make a difference. Then you would need the subrails that adapt the body to the deuce chassis.

Phil

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep.

8. Roothawg likes this.
  9. A little further thought, I guess most of the suggested builders could do a good job. Using the A body is a bit of a curve ball. Not that it hasn't been done many times, but it is outside the norm.
    The chassis fabricator may well want the subrails kit and body on site so the pinch can be done corrrectly for the A body cowl.

Roothawg and ratrodrodder like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

They don't usually require too many mods other than pinching.

Tim likes this.
  11. I know from conversations I have had in the past with Gary at Cornhuskers he does build a '32 frame specifically for Model A bodies. But I would recommend you speak directly with him on that subject.

pprather, Roothawg and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Rjays makes the pinched frame. They are here local, pretty close to pete and jakes actually. Both are fantastic to deal with

Roothawg likes this.
  13. 60's drag roadsters mostly wouldn't have had a pinched frame. just sayin'.:)
    29 hot rod 1 (Medium).jpg 29 hot rod 2 (Medium).jpg

Roothawg and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Do 30's on a 32 frame even need a pinch?

Roothawg and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don’t know about model A bodies on a deuce chassis but a 3/4" pinch per side on my roadster sure tightened up the hood side gaps.

DSCN1627.JPG DSCN1626.JPG

Just Gary and Roothawg like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

There is some debate over that....

17. Rusty at Dirty's Speed Shop right here in Dallas TX could help you out. I don't know pricing but I heard he's reasonable.

Roothawg likes this.
  18. redo32

redo32

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Roothawg likes this.
  19. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

If I was to answer the question in you title of "WHO BUILDS THE BEST AFTERMARKET 32 CHASSIS" Having to pick from Guys who are still Alive my answer would be Edward Lloyd in Germany. For me he has set the bar!. Also depends on what kind of build you are doing. Aside from that there are many good builders here who do great work, Cory at Rjays as already mentioned is a Good friend of mine and will treat you right and is not to far from Oklahoma.

Roothawg likes this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

Way too drastic a surgery to have been done very often “back in the day” if ever! Especially by “kids”.

Roothawg likes this.
  21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All very nice!!---------I just built my own.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would just need the perimeter frame. I'll fill in the blanks, since I will be using something out of the ordinary for a power plant.

This is not 100% anyway. This model A chassis that Riley built has a definite hot rod vibe to it, even though it's not a 32 style.
    [​IMG]

All of my cars have a street/strip vibe to them.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  23. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Brookville Roadsters makes a nice one.

Roothawg likes this.