Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Life Of A Race Car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 19, 2018.

1. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

2. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

dig this old stuff :cool:

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-10-12_4-18-25.png
    Hello,

When we saw this roadster in the Hot Rod Magazine, it was one cool race car. At the time, we did not know much about those Northwestern area drag racers. We were So Cal teens and knew about the local racers. That roadster reminded us of several cars that were very popular at the local So Cal dragstrips. Whenever we saw the So Cal racers at Lions, Bakersfield or Riverside, we remember seeing that one from the Northwest in the magazine.

The Hunter, Hill, Acala red roadster had similar lines and was fast in its class. We saw them a lot at Lions Dragstrip. Then in late 1959, we saw one of the top drag racers on the West Coast at Riverside Raceway, Tony Waters’ purple modified roadster.

The Northwest modified roadster of the Stieber, Norton, Maron, Kalivoda, Hamlin racecar was a combination of both of the So Cal roadsters. The style and power was outstanding. We were sorry we never got to see it, except in the Drag News and in those magazine articles.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-10-12_4-20-0.png
    color photo by @Dean Lowe
    Hunter, Hill, Acala Roadster

For us, it was a combination of both the Hunter, Hill, Acala, red roadster and the Tony Waters purple modified roadster.

Tony Waters Smokers
    upload_2020-10-12_4-21-47.png

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I was at the event that you flagged them off at. I wish I could tell you I had some pictures of you doing that.
    The pictures I have are mainly of cars in the pits. My little kodak 126 wasn't much good for action shots.

catdad49 likes this.