Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FelPro plastigage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Except measuring out of round and taper is out the window there so not really an accurate picture of health of an engine.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I think you would be able to diagnose taper, because the Plastigauge will widen toward one side if it is present.
    As for out of round, wear will be at maximum in the vertical direction because loads are heaviest there. And that is where the Plastigauge will be measuring.

I do like that Plastigauge is a direct measure of clearances (but of questionable precision), whereas using precision measuring instruments is an indirect method.

3. Budget36

Budget36

Well two reasons I wanted to use platigauge.

First, is my dial bore set is an Ebay/Import special I bought in the 90's, I only rely on it for looking at cylinder taper.

Second is I just polished the crank, and am going back with std bearings, just verifying packaging and labeling.

4. To properly measure out of round and taper and clearance requires four measurements of each crank journal and four on each bore with the bearings installed, plastiguage cannot do that...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

gimpyshotrods likes this.