Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead V8 ID help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by OriginalMoon, Oct 12, 2020.

1. OriginalMoon

OriginalMoon

Hi all, i'm hoping someone can help me work out what year flathead motor I have picked up.
    From what info I have come across, I think it's a 46 to 48 motor, reason I say that is because of the distributor style, it's not a "divers helmet" or "crab style" and it's not the later 8ba.
    The only markings I can see on bellhousing is a number 6 & just above that on a raised circle are the numbers 1 10 8.
    And above that on the rear right corner of the manifold there is the letter "J" stamped but nothing else.
    It also has aluminum heads with "made in Canada" on it.
    Hopefully someone has seen these numbers & letters (or lack of) before & can let me know if my guesses are right on it being a 46 to 48 model.
    And I am in Australia if that helps in the deciphering any.
    All help appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Moon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. It’s the number cast into the top right of the block (just in front of the head) that should tell the tale. It’s hard to make out without a closeup. Are there bulges in the oil pan rails (2 per side where plugs were installed after removing casting sand)? If so, that would indicate ‘39 - ‘41, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Correction: '38 - '40 (Have a look at Mac VanPelt's website for more detail)

4. If the number on the block I referred to above is "19A" it indicates a 1941 Mercury block (95HP). If it's "69A" it indicates a '46 Ford (100 HP).

5. OriginalMoon

OriginalMoon

Hi Glen,
    this is the only number I can see on top right front of block in front of head. looks to me like a 1 and 9
    [​IMG]

And are these the bulges you are reffering to? Where I scratched some of the crap off. There is 2 each side.
    [​IMG]

6. OriginalMoon

OriginalMoon

I wasn't sure while taking the pic, but now I look at it, it does look like an "A" after the 9. I will try to clean it a little better tomorrow.

7. If you look at the 4th picture in your original post, where the number is seen from a different angle, it does appear to read 69A. Hard to say for sure about the bulges given the crud on your block. I have a '39 Merc block so will take a photo today of the bulges on mine for you to compare.

8. OriginalMoon

OriginalMoon

Yeah, mines got the bulges. I'll try & get those numbers cleaned a bit better because as you say, they look different between the 2 pics.
    Thanks for the help.

9. alchemy

alchemy

In the US the bulges means pre war, but maybe they lived longer in Australia? All the peripheral stuff is post war on that engine. Maybe it had a block switch at one time when the original went kaput.

10. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

I have the same motor. Looks like you were correct in your first post....'46-'48. Look in my signature. There is a video of me putting the body on my frame, but after that I made some bonus footage of the inner workings of that fan hub. You should watch it. Mine would only turn about 300 degrees or so because it had a clump of dirt in it. I took it apart for cleaning and decided to video the pieces. In the video I explain how to put the correct amount of oil in it. Hope this helps.

11. OriginalMoon

OriginalMoon

Thanks for the tips on that fan hub assembly Jason, I have never heard any mention ever about the oil set up with in them.

12. OriginalMoon

OriginalMoon

here is a closer pick of the distributor that is on this thing as well as the gearbox that is bolted to this thing.
    the CRUD is REALLY piled on everything, but being so heavily loaded with oil, it's not really rusty, as you can see the original paint condition on it. But of course just like the motor, there seems to be no serial number (where it should be) to make any guesses clearer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From other stuff I've been reading everywhere on the net, including here, from what I can gather, it seems Canadian built flatheads varied in their production years run (went longer) compared to U.S. built, and of course there are always abnormalities that pop up in regards to serial number identification. I'm now wondering if I just have one of these kind of Canadian "Freak Abnormal" hard to identify motors? :p

13. Pencil test will indicate if pre-war

14. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, standard 43-48 distributor. I still think everything on the outside of this engine is post war, and the block is pre war. The trans is big truck. Not useful for a hot rod.