Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leaf spring (in frame) sleeve/bushing help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimmyRig54, Oct 11, 2020.

1. JimmyRig54

JimmyRig54

Installing some drop springs on my 54 chevy 3100, to go with my 3” drop axle from Sid. There are 2 metal sleeves(bushings) at the front of the frame that need to come out ( internals are frozen). I’ve gotten one out so far just using a BFH. Did the same method to putting new sleeve in but bent the end to shit I was smacking. There’s gotta be an easier way to getting these suckers out and putting new ones in. Any help would be appreciated. Pics below of original and new sleeve with shackle pins in them. Thanks guys. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take the blade out of your hack saw, slip it though the bushing and put the hacksaw back together and saw just though the bushing but no more. Then take the saw back apart, and pop the bushing out.

3. JimmyRig54

JimmyRig54

The shackle pin was stuck in the bushing, rusted and its solid. There would be no way to get the blade through.

4. JimmyRig54

JimmyRig54

In the pic with the 2 sleeves/bushings, the top bushing is the original and thats how it looks on the side of the truck that hasn’t been done yet.

5. clem

clem

Gibbs lubricant a few days before. Let it soak.
    Then press it out. I use a vise and sockets or pins, solid rod etc of an appropriate size.
    Sometimes a tap to the side with a hammer, when in a vise and under pressure, will ‘crack’ the rust.
    Looks like your particular situation has a thread, - could you have put a bolt in it and tapped the bolt ?
    Or even tapped it out using the inner threads to tap on. Tap, not smack the life out of it.
    Heat ! Applying heat often helps, if you know your abilities.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bigger hammer and drive the shackle pin out with it. My regular hammer for that stuff is a 2-1/2 lb machinists hammer that I have had since the early 70's. The only other thing I can suggest that is simple is go borrow a ball joint press kit from Autozone and use the C clamp part to push the bushing out with. You should be able to press the old bushing out with that and even press the new one in. Then take it back and get your deposit back. Ball joint press kit.jpg

Budget36 likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Heat it with a torch, let it cool and try again.

loudbang likes this.
  8. clem

clem

I’ve never agreed with this method for removal, or fitting of new parts, depending on particular scenario, due to possible damage of said or other parts.
    OP hasn’t succeeded with the big hammer method thus far, hence his original question.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    fiftyv8 and loudbang like this.
  9. JimmyRig54

JimmyRig54

The shackle is threaded inside so whacking the pin gets both out together, bc they’re rusted together. Thats what I did on the first one. I’ll have to try the press kit since the hammer method damages the end of the shackle that I beat on. Appreciate the help guys.

loudbang likes this.
  10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

What Budget36 said, but as it cools squirt a small amount of engine oil into anything that looks like a seam as the oil will be drawn in during the cooling and will help lubricate the joint when next you attempt to remove the shackle pin.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Slow and steady is your best method and don't get drawn into a fight with it, beat it on your terms with cunning and patience.

12. JimmyRig54

JimmyRig54

Thnx