Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford 8" disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Oct 10, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I'm using a maverick rear end on my 47 Ford and I'm using the 90s crown vic rear disc brakes. Everything bolted up fine but when I bolt on the tires it binds up. I put some washers between the rotor and axle hub and it helped a little. I'm going to look into getting some centric rings for the rotor, but is there anything else I could do?

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Pictures might help........

3. Sounds like the wheels your using are the wrong offset and hitting the caliper a most likely.

spacers or different whelks is most likely what ya need.
    Pics might help

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. topher5150

topher5150

The wheels are modern and i can fit my fingers between the caliper and the wheel.
    this is the only pic i have right now. back brakes.jpg

5. jaracer

jaracer

Sounds like you need the wheels off that 90's Crown Vic.

6. Maybe what jaracer said.....those are really BIG disk set up....think they run 17" wheels on those cop cars or just the plain Vic.

7. topher5150

topher5150

These brakes came off a 97 vic with 15" wheels, and the wheels i have are 80s-90s vic wheels.

8. I'm going to guess that the distance from the end of the axle housing to the wheel mount face is less than needed. You may need a wheel spacer. Try stacking some washers on the wheel studs and see if that helps.

ekimneirbo and topher5150 like this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I don't see a rotor in there. Maybe without it, stuff isn't held in the right position and gets cocked, jamming it up?

[​IMG]

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I agree with Crazy Steve. I would measure the distance from the end of your housing to the face of your axle......then do the same thing on the crown vic.

topher5150 likes this.
  11. Yeah, you should really do any mock-up with the rotor in place...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. I used 04 ford explorer.
    It's almost a bolt on.
    You elongate the hols in caliper mount to match your housing pattern.
    Also the difference in thickness of backing plate and the caliper mount you will have to put a spacer to hold axle bearing seated in housing. The spacer goes between the axle bearing and axle retainer. I'm guessing at 3/16th.

13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The wheels on the 97 are a completely different animal than the the 1990 and earlier . I am suprised the 97 had 15's . I worked at a Ford dealer in the 90' s and most I remember had 16" wheels because of the disc brakes. I have explorer style disc kit on a 9" in my ot 67 Mustang and those just clear the 15 x8 Weld Draglites that are on it. I also used a different kit that hand internal parking brakes and GM calipers on a different project and they would not clear the 15x8 torque thrust's . Had to go with 16's Larry

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Common problem with those. Torq Thrust vs. Torq Thrust D (disc). The D version had scalloped spoke backsides, to clear the calipers.

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Mine actually cleared the spokes fine, the caliper rubbed the outer rim. The rear end was custom built by johns 9" and 16 inch wheels became my only option. That's the problem with projects , by the time you get everything together and find out there is a problem most venders say sorry it was special order or you shouldn't have mounted tires on those wheels! Oh well they fit my 64 Marauder perfectly! lol Larry

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grind the caliper. It is very common in the 4x4 world.

I had 15" wheels, over 12" rotors, with GM SAE calipers. All four were ground. It was like that for over 200,000 miles before I sold it, and it is still on the road.

17. nobby

nobby