Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford Tudor vintage hotrod rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Great transformation !!!

With the colour choices I would vote to put the fenders back on.

But it’s your car so do what you like, either way GO MAN GO !!

lothiandon1940 and cactus1 like this.
  2. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I like the colors
    1st pic looked a little tan and that is why I asked about the colors. Nice job

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Thanks man... giving it an honest shot. Paint is far from perfect, but backyard paint jobs in the late 40s werent perfect also, so I think I am on the right track.

A Boner and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yeah, the color is interesting, sun and clouds make it change up a bit. Thanks bud. appreciate it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Haha, thanks man. I have a line on some good front fenders if I ever chose to go down that path again. but right now I have a car I have been wanting for years now, so going to have some fun now.

6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Definitely been a labor of love and fast track. Tired from working a normal day job and slaving on this, but the end of the day, its worth it. Thanks bud.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. johnvictor

johnvictor

Grew up playing in one of these. About once a year some guy would show up at the front door asking my dad if he wanted to sell it yet. Rebuilt the Flathead with him as a teenager. Early model 21-bolt heads. Twin carbs just like yours. I’d forgotten about the siamesed exhaust port for the two center cylinders on each bank.

loudbang likes this.
  9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well the comedy of errors continues.

What I thought was a f1 box was a f6 box... pitman arms are different, then after getting the right pitman arm, the balls are bigger on the f6 arm than the f1. so ordered a bolt on ball for a model a will hack this ball off the f6 pitman and drill and install the model a one.

So a few progress pics... Headlights mounted, grill and radiator mounted, test fit the hood before painting that. SPark plug wires made. Progress...

31-31.jpg
    31-30.jpg
    31-29.jpg

10. Awesome work, FAST too! Great to see a traditional build!

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Finally forward motion again... Got the ball, reamer etc to revamp this f6 pitman arm... cut down a model a tie rod bar and retapped and here we are with that. IT steers....

31-32.jpg

So got new throttle rods, these pieced together junk ones wouldnt cut it,

31-33.jpg

And now onto sparking.

Fuse panel, and switches all done with cloth covered wire, tried to stay as correct as possible, and look cool.

31-34.jpg

31-35.jpg

Stay tuned for the icing on the cake when this is done...

12. Nice work. Coming along.

stubbsrodandcustom and loudbang like this.
  13. You work fast! Car looks great! Can't wait to see what's coming.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

What!? You're not driving yet? ;) Seriously nice work. Can't wait to see what's next.

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang talk about making everyone else look like they are going in slow motion! Looking great

16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Just a good pace, work a normal day job and then screw with this stuff at night.... Trying to get her done up quick though.

loudbang and Tim like this.
  17. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Ok, wiring was finished up the day after last update....

My buddy and I pushed it hard and got it done, originally I had planned on cable lacing the entire harness, the time consuming process of that right now just isnt in the cards, Yeah I got impatient. So for right now, the harness is covered up, but the runs are in good places, clean and the lengths are on point. Every connection is soldered on this car. That is one thing I firmly believe in, low failure points etc.

31-36.jpg
    31-37.jpg

Made a tail light bracket and license plate bracket. Simple and clean

31-38.jpg

So decided to see how my floor wood would clean up that I had here, so after some sanding, this shows before and after real well...

31-40.jpg

stained and installed for the moment till I clear it.

31-41.jpg

Notice the stewart warner gauges fit in real nice under that dash...

31-41.jpg

SO here is the money shot, all together after its first run on its own systems...

31-39.jpg

The late model seats will do for now, I think for my big ass I may use them but recover and take some late model look out of them... I really wanted stock model a seats, but those are hard to come by.... at least down here.

18. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Video for PROOF she runs... Almost out of gas, and power valve was blown out, shouldn't have tried to re use the old power valve, but she still runs, New power valve is on its way with fresh rebuild kit etc.

19. Looks and sounds great!

20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Awesome job. Looks and sounds good. Good job.

21. grumpy65

grumpy65

'The Alvin Special' has turned out to be special indeed. Credit to you, man.
    One question. Do you sleep ??? :)

22. v8flat44

v8flat44

Very cool.....LOVE IT !!

23. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

What a great car! Well done. Keeping it simple, and a great choice of colours.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

24. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yeah. 6 hrs a night. Work normal day job 10-13 hrs then this for remainder. Haha. Guess I’m eat up with something.

loudbang, Tony Martino and grumpy65 like this.
  25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

[​IMG]

Here we go on second maiden voyage with my mother.

So updates as follows.

She started running worse that night the video was shot. Took carb part 3 times checking. Found blown out power valve. Blocked it. Still ran like crap. Barely running. Oil smelled like gas. So pulled the plugs. All carbon fouled. Put oil in the cylinders to hopefully correct the ring wash I thought I had. Compression check read over 100 across the board.

So that stumped me. Checked spark. It was sparking. Didn’t seem heavy spark like I’m used to with good point setup. 3 auto parts stores later. I have blue streak points and condenser. Fucker fired right up. Had a pop in 1 cylinder that cleared out after a few minutes of run time.

First drive.

Well I thought I had ok brakes. That’s about better than I had. They worked but I bypassed adjusting them the right way to see if it would drive. E brake works. Haha.

So clutch chattered it’s ass off 3 trips around the block total was getting better a smidge. But it made it. Flatly feels powerful for sure. 3rd gear at 25 roll on the throttle and it pulls nice.

Head studs leaked still. Weird but eh. I’ve heard to put a little stop leak in the water and it will go away. That’s soon on the list

So damn drivers side water pump leaked like a sieve just running in the garage. Drive it around block and quit leaking all together. I still have a new set coming from van pelt.

So electrical system works as it should. All 100%. Steering box is amazing. First model a with f1 upgrade. I heard people say it’s like having power steering. I was like “that’s the day” didn’t believe. Holy hell its so easy to steer.

Sorry for the ramblings. Figured some of y’all may like to hear the updates.

Oh. Every time the car makes a stop it dies. Guess floats off a smidge. When I do the new power valve I’ll re check that etc.

Gota say. I got a model a with a flathead v8. It’s cool for sure. Other than the alternator I think the late 40s look is pretty on point.

Thanks all those who have chimed in along the way. More updates coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

27. atch

atch

Back when Clarence had the original flathead (prior to 1992) it got to leaking from one water pump. I'd fill it with water and drive it a mile or two and it stopped leaking. Did it every time. Once it was warm I could drive it all day and it never leaked again 'til it cooled off. I drove it like that 'til my rebuild kit arrived from Dennis Carpenter. Rebuilt it and all was well. I don't know what today's prices are, but 30 years ago a rebuilt pump cost $36 and the rebuild kit cost $18. I never had much money so it was rebuild kit for me.

28. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Really like your project. Turned into a beautiful car. I missed somehow; what donor car are the seats from? What is the grey color you used? Thanks

29. railcarmover

railcarmover

thumbnail - 2020-05-07T182240.917.jpg

Bobcat skidsteer industrial gray...fenders? pfft...

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  30. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Thanks bud. Yeah turned out pretty nice I think. Good 20 footer.
    Seats I have no clue. I think Camaro possibly 80s
    Color is Massey furgeson grey.