Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spindle identification. Truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebbsspeed, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sorting through boxes of stuff I've had ratholed in the back of the shop forever, and found these spindles which I don't recall the origin of. Kingpin diameter is 0.860. The axle ends that were torched off appeared to be quite substantial, so I assume these are off of a pickup or truck. Any ideas? If they're useless I'll throw them on the trailer load of scrap I'm hauling to the salvage yard next week.

Thanks! 20201006_162321_resized.jpg 20201006_162310_resized.jpg 20201006_162252_resized.jpg

Attached Files:

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like BB truck, to me.

3. Econoline had a bolt on steering arm, similar to that.

4. May be 48-52 F1 Ford.

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Definitely NOT "B-B"(they have 6 backing plate mounting holes)

stillrunners likes this.
  6. Yep....just took the backing plates off a BB axle today.

7. alchemy

alchemy

I agree with Steve, I think they are F-1.

8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Speaking of those 6-bolt Ford truck spindles, if anyone has a set from a 35-36 Ford truck, I am interested in buying a good set. The 35-36 spindles look like a heavy duty version of the 37-40 Ford passenger car round back spindles, only with a drivers side arm for the drag link. Look up vanpeltsales.com and search for front axle assembly 1935-1936. Sorry I am using a tablet and don't know how to get a link into this.

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Dave : Might want to check the "king-pin" sizes(I believe they are considerably larger), although if you got the "B-B" axle to go with them it wouldn't matter, now would it? Hint... Hint... (also get the perches!!) They'll go well on your "Whatever" project!! For sure '32-'36 "B-B" front axles (& assemblies) look like "heavy" axles, but the average person won't even notice...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think 57 to 63 or so PU truck.

11. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

From a previous thread, the racers of the 50s used these on "Big" cars as they are stronger. What they did was machine bronze bushings to fit whatever kingpin fit their axles, and also a spacer to make up the larger gap between the thrust bearing and the axle boss. I can picture combining these in 1 piece, like aflanged bushing, pressed in from the inside. Of course in my application, I would make a new axle with the correctly sized pin boss to fit the factory pin/bushing/thrust bearing setup,assuming I ever find a set. I'd also set the king pin inclination for those spindles during fabrication to what I like, resulting in approximately 1 degree negative camber.

I di like the suggestion that the axle would look like a heavy 32, however. That is certainly something to contemplate. I'd also gain a little rake to the front also as that axle should have about 1 or so inches of drop compared to a straight tube axle. Ok so whose got one for sale???