Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '63 Rambler Classic 550

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greenblade, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Greenblade

Greenblade

This is my 63 Rambler build. When I bought it, it had no engine or trans. My Dad has a Chevy 327 that's going to go in it and my Papa has a trans that should work too. Since its going to have a small block in it, we knew that we had to pretty much redo the whole rear end. My Papa had an 8 inch ford rear end laying around that looks like its going to fit really well. And me and my Dad found a set of truck arms for it as well.
    As for the rest of the car, its pretty solid. A bit of rot in the front floorboard, nothing that can't be fixed of course.
    The direction I want to take this is a sleeper build, kinda. I want it to sound mean and have a deep growl.
    Thats all I can think of mentioning right now. Ill try to answer any questions you have and feedback is much appreciated. Thanks -BVP
    1016191755a.jpg 1016191755b.jpg 1016191755c.jpg 16212.jpeg 0921201712.jpg 0921201222.jpg 0921201215.jpg 0926201801.jpg 0928200844.jpg 1010200927.jpg 1010200927a.jpg 1010200927d.jpg 1010200927c.jpg 1010201356.jpg 1010201356a.jpg

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Let’s get started kiddo! This will be a good father son project!

Mark Hinds, Stogy, Blues4U and 6 others like this.
  3. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Very nice! I'll be following along.

Stogy, loudbang and Greenblade like this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get er done son!

Stogy, Greenblade and loudbang like this.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Rust doesn't look too bad at all. 2 dr coupe isn't something you see every day. Most of those were 4 dr or wagons (my dad had a maroon wagon). You will have a lot of fun building it up and have something very unique!!

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice start, and it has the right amount of doors!

Joe Travers, Stogy, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  7. Got car to gut your teeth and learn building skills, A friend and I had a ball being two broke kids and stuffing a big caddy engine in it when we were kids. HRP

chryslerfan55, Stogy, scott27 and 3 others like this.
  8. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

Ramblers are great cars and perfect to hot rod.
    My 59 wagon has a 350/th350 combo. Truck arm suspension and posi Ford 8.8 with 3.27 gears. This year its getting a custom ifs from scotts hot rods.
    Lots of great hot rodded ramblers out there.
    Check out the amc forum. Specifically the frankenrambler section.
    Also search out a guy named tim miles. He built a 63 rambler that's awesome.
    There's also a red 60 wagon thats set up similar to mine.
    Both here and on the amc boards look for posts from Farna. Super knowledgeable on ramblers and helped me out a ton on my build.

9. loudbang

loudbang

Pretty good shape to start with.

Joe Travers, Stogy and Greenblade like this.
  10. Great start, cool looking car. The front and rear treatment is stylish, V shaped inset across the car.

11. catdad49

catdad49

Most of the major parts are there for a great father/son project. Check out those AMC forums for ideas and answers Before you dig in. Chances are someone else has ventured down the same road and can save you some headaches. Please share with us and don’ t be afraid to ask questions!

12. Greenblade

Greenblade

Yeah, you definitely don't see these around often, especially 2door. That was one of the reasons I fell in love with this car

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Greenblade

Greenblade

Exactly. 2 door or bust

14. Greenblade

Greenblade

Yep. Learning new things is going to be a big part of this project, and I know ill have fun doing it

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. Greenblade

Greenblade

Thanks for letting me know about AMC forums, that'll actually be really helpful. These Ramblers are built weird. Ill keep an eye out for tge people you mentioned

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. Greenblade

Greenblade

Ill definitely check out the AMC forums. And I'll definitely be asking questions, lots of em.

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Had a 64 American I got from my aunt. It was a pretty good driver. Was the big ohv six with a 2bbl carb. I remember it having nice seats, numb power steering, not very good brakes, and a wierd front suspension and steering setup. Have fun make it safe and reliable, then tinker with it with it for the fun stuff.
    www.sr-ix.com/AMC/Suspension-1962-1967-big/index.html

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  18. v8flat44

v8flat44

Neato.......i'm a fan....dare 2 b different and ENJOY.

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Nice. I've seen a lot of Ramblers being done lately and there's a lot of cool mods you can do to them. I'm thinking of swapping over my 58 Rambler for a chevy combo. Already got a ranger rear end for it but I was wondering what year and make truck arms you can use for the swap? I guess if I can't find any I can always weld up a set of steel square tube arms or buy a 4 bar parallel set up. I already got some good tips from Rambler Man Dan's thread some time ago and Farna on the AMC forum.

21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

22. "Weather Eye''. Saw that on your dash and had to investigate.
    1938 Nash, Rambler's parent company, develops the first water heated automobile heating system that also utilized fresh air. Pressurized cabins were a first to combat cold air seeping in as well as a was a cabin air filter.
    1939 a thermostat was added, making the system automatic, and the ''Weather Eye'' name was added to the hvac system. The name referred to a mechanical device keeping an eye on the temperature.
    The design is still used today as the basis for most automobile heating systems.

23. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Nice " Rumbler " Greenblade!! ....and lots of cool cars in the background too!!... that Dodge big truck is one of those " it's so ugly it's COOL deals"!!

Stogy, Greenblade and loudbang like this.
  24. gatz

gatz

I recall the Ramblers from the 60's , but had to look up "WEATHER EYE"
    ...interesting.

IIRC, in some of the late 40's early 50's Kaisers, there was an emblem on the heater box inside the car that said "Air Conditioning". It was conditioned to be warm or not warm.

25. Greenblade

Greenblade

Safety is my number 1 priority hands down. I plan on getting front disc brakes at the very least but it would be nice to have them front and back

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My grandmother bought a 63 Rambler Wagon (the cheap one if I remember correctly) and drove it into the 1990's until my uncle told her she was too old to drive:) He was right. I remember it fondly although at the time I didn't think it was all that cool. Wish now I would have bought it and did exactly what the OP is doing.

loudbang and Greenblade like this.
  27. Greenblade

Greenblade

I dont know all the truck arms that are compatible with ramblers but the arms I got were most likely out of a late 60's early 70's chevy truck. The interesting thing about the truck arms I got is that they aren't the same. It's likely one of them got replaced at some point. But all the holes lined up the same, so it's nothing to worry about. I'm not the guy you want to talk to if your looking for advice on what to do or get, I'm only learning these things now. Good luck on your project!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Greenblade

Greenblade

wagons are cool, they make great sleepers and drag cars.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Greenblade

Greenblade

That's really cool. The more I learn about this car, the more I realize how revolutionary and amazing Rambler was.

That being said, my Dad thinks the heater core melted on mine and that might be the reason why there is a rust hole in the passenger floorboard.

dan c, chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Take a look at Ford rear axles like ranger and explorer. The later ones will have disk brakes. I have on under my Studebaker from an 80's something t bird with discs.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Greenblade likes this.