Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dripping Stromberg 97s after motor shutdown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks that’s interesting I wonder how a line running back to the supply line and tied into it with a T before the fuel pump would work.

2. speedshifter

speedshifter

Along with the small return line going back to the tank I would make sure the float tang is exactly vertical when pushing against the " closed" needle & seat. To enable tang to be vertical it might necessary to take a light cut off the gskt surface of the seat to allow n&s to be moved deeper toward the bowl, or a thicker gskt to move n&s further outward. Keep fuel pressure at 2 lb or less with a quality regulator, not one of those cheapy $25 regs. Install Grose type n&s, set fuel level to stock setting. If you have seepage at bottom of bowls, coat the bottoms with Seal All, available at O'Reilly's. Do all this & you will be happy. Greg

3. clem

clem

My return line was same size, (only temporary), but I think it should be smaller.
    I have no experience with the filter I showed, but there was another thread on here about it.

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have this problem and was gonna get some spacers. I will be watching this one.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ve decided on an approach that I think will work really well.

I printed out a response from Clive from another thread where he laid out the requirements for a return line with a .024 flow diameter restrictor.

The purpose is to drop the fuel pressure quickly when you shut the engine down and the fuel pump stops pumping.

According to Clive a return line to the top of the tank is ideal however if that isn’t possible then the return line with the restrictor can be teed into the supply line just before the fuel pump.

I’m relocating my fuel pressure gauge to the front end of my fuel log before the carbs and will plumb the return line from the end of the log with the restrictor back to the supply line near the pump.

I’m also going to order a set of 1/4”phenolic spacer insulators and longer mounting studs from Stromberg.

I believe this will solve my problems. :cool: